Do you raise the pup when you get home from a trip?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by davekro, Sep 8, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Active Member

We've only had our 1st NTU pup trip this past Labor day weekend. We are still working on the order to do (AND REMEMBER DOING) things to avoid having to back track/ redo previous steps. We're making a list now to save our (wasted) time. In this light, do you plan to not have to raise your pup when you get home from a trip. We have arranged for storage containers to fit in specific areas (some still in route from Amazon ;o). I think we can plan for the 'stays on pup' stuff to remain in the cabinets and rear floor space. The size specific containers for 'end of trip removeables (clothes, dry food, misc, etc.) can now fit under and next to the fold over/down sink as well as forward in the dinette foot/table area. this way we can crawl in through the half door and drag this stuff out w/o raising the top.

The only thing this overlooks is the cold stuff in the rear cabinet drawer ice chest and the Dometic frig which are of course blocked with the top down. My thought for this is to bring a big 'empty' cooler that all of our left over cold stuff from ice box drawer and frig can hopefully fit in with some left over ice. It just needs to remain cool enough for our usually 2-4 hour trek home. On the trip out of town, this spare cooler can hold dry foods, etc. Though this 'on the way home' cooler in the pup would be in the doorway, just in front of the axle (adding to tongue weight), I could drain the 1 gal water tank to offset that -OR- just carry it in the SUV over (the rear axle).

As a newbie at all this plannin' ahead stuff, I'm curious how you veterans handle minimizing raising/ lowering the top. I did just buy a deep impact socket I'll attempt to flatten to make an oval to match my Starcraft's top raiser coupling shaft, so I can use my cordless drill to raise the top. I already cut slots in a 5/8" deep socket to use to quickly deploy the corner jacks!

EmilyW likes this.
  2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If we were organized, we would want to do what you plan and get everything moved and cleaned at the campsite so that we didn't have to do anything at home but we just don't do our best work in the morning when we're pressed for time. :)

So yeah, we pop it up at home (in the garage) and take about 3 days to slowly get it cleaned out.

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I'd bet that you burn that drill up trying to open the camper with it.
    We usually take the things that we want out of the camper and put them in the car when we pack up to go home.
    Then, we can simply park the camper when we get home and not have to put it back up to unpack it.
    A small cooler to put the food in, a big duffle bag for the dirty clothes and bedding. It's much easier to deal with this way.
    The only time I put the camper up when getting home is if I had to fold it up wet or if it needs cleaned inside.

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Always

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I only raise it if I have to, as in the last trip we took. I had to repair the sink drain hose (again). I will always open it up if we closed it up when it was damp or wet, which is not too often.

campfire Joe and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I almost always have to pop up when I get home. The fridge is blocked in travel mode so I have to pop up to empty it and clean it. Even if I consolidate before there will still be condensation that needs to dry up or I get mold inside. I don't quite have duplicates of a lot of my gear, so I often need to pull some things out to use on the next scout campout, although they are getting ready less frequent since my son got his eagle.

Depending on the trip I may not have room in the TV for everything that needs to be cleaned, so I may have to pop up to get those items as well.

I have had mine for a couple years now and I am still learning new tweaks to my procedures.

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Have to open it nearly every time. Break down is usually early in the morning and the canvas is usually damp with dew. We also clean everything and restock/rotate non perishables. We keep the pup stocked all season, never know when the opportunity for a weekend local trip may pop up.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sadly my camper gets stored off site so no popping up when I get home. So therefore my suv holds all gear. For food, I put everything in my cooler to start. I occasionally use the camper fridge but only for refrigerated food and drinks, the cooler continue to hold my meats so they stay frozen. When packing up what ever is left over gets thrown back in the cooler for the trip home. I don't often have any meat left at the end of the trip anyway so not worried about cooler space. Because I camp in bear country I keep all food in the SUV anyway and use the fridge mainly for drinks or not at all. The camper is pre packed with essentially everything so try not to go too crazy with extras from home. Then again I try to follow the Kiss method (keep it stupid simple). I do have some camping gear I bring from home like the canopy, chairs, Dutch oven etc. Some of that just stays in the car until camping season is over though.

davekro likes this.
  9. Ac7822

Ac7822 New Member

We just got a n2u PU and have only taken it out twice but we have it packed so everything that is in the cabinet storage areas stays there permanently. With 4 kids and 3 dogs we don't have room in our TV for much so we have to use the floor area in front of the PU door for the cooler and all the stuff that we take. So we have to lift the roof but only 6 inches just enough to get the door open. We clean at the campsite so nothing needs to be done when we get home. We actually just got home today and it took us all of 10 minutes to unload what was on the floor. What helped us was we made a very detailed list of exactly where we store everything that stays on board and what we bring with us. I wish the door was able to be opened without popping the top it'd be too easy.

EmilyW and davekro like this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

my old 1990 Jayco did this. Thought it was a great feature until one day the door somehow opened up on the road. Lost gear along the highway and with traffic driving 65 to 70 we couldn't safely pick it up. Now I appreciate my new to me camper where the roof helps hold the door closed. I only need to crack the roof an inch to open the door so everything stays in place.

11. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

So inevitably there are times when you store your popup with the tenting wet? :( That's the only reason I'd set up any popup we owned, way too much work otherwise and one of many reasons we moved on to hard sided trailers.

12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I always set ours up when we get home, it might not be for a day or 2, but it always gets done. If it was damp when popping down, it gets done right away. If it was dry, then no big deal to leave it for a longer time. We like to get our bedding out and get it in the wash. We usually only leave drinks in the fridge, so if they stay in there, its no big deal. Prop the fridge door open a little with a small stick on the floor so that things don't go stinky in there, OR, leave the fridge door closed, and when you get home, plug into your garage and turn the fridge on. That would buy you some extra time before having to Pop-up, and you wouldn't have to worry about the whole extra cooler idea. The galley should still be able to swing down in front of the fridge door if you prop it open slightly, I do it with ours. I think you might be over thinking it with the weight of the extra cooler though. I'm sure it doesn't weigh 500 lbs to add tongue weight. It will be ok to leave it in the doorway for the trip home. Watch out for leaving food (dry food) in there for extended periods of time. I don't want to be reading a post from you saying that you have mouse damage in the Pup because they got into some crackers or cookies or something.

By the way, I spent about 3 days in San Fran back in Nov 2017 for part of a vacation. I absolutely loved it.

alabasterjar and davekro like this.
  13. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I rarely pop up after a trip. When I’m breaking camp I take my time (up to 3 hours) and clean and repair as needed.

davekro likes this.
  14. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

I kinda follow the same "rule" and try NOT to set-up when we get home. (mainly cause we're kinda tired) But we're Not always successful.
    With the exception of the coolers x3 - 5gal water containers x2 - dry food stuff - cloths and a few misc odds & ends - We've packed pretty much everything else in the camper where storage room allows.
    The rest that doesn't fit - camper set-up gear - tools - dog paraphernalia - the outside fold up table & lawn chairs end up staying in the truck or the storage box I have mounted up/over the front hitch.

The only exception is out ATV's - gear - fuel. They are always unloaded.

my 2¢....

davekro likes this.
  15. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

I open up within a day or two usually, unless another trip is planned soon like our last two camps.
    Re using drill to have a motorized raise-up: been doing that for years. Just buy a t-slot adapter and get a decent two speed drill. Has to be two speed, the slower speed is always used since that provides the torque. My Rigid drill came with two batteries but I can usually raise her twice on one. Expect battery "sag" or fatigue halfway up, just pause for a couple seconds and it'll be good to go again.
    Using drill for stabilizers: be careful! That aforementioned torque can give you a sprained wrist if you have it turning the wrong way when it's time to raise them, check before each use.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    davekro likes this.
  16. penny

penny Well-Known Member

when we camped with pop ups, we also tried to avoid completely setting up when we go home. raising the top a few inches, yes. but not completely setting up. You have it right to pack what needs to be out before closing. check and list what needs to be replenished and packed for next trip and leave the list somewhere inside the door. put potty where it can be easily slid out to be emptied and rinsed. all perishables and personal stuff people need when home, in tow vehicle. kids had duffles and were responsible to gather all their stuff to put in the TV. We also took our time in tear down, packing and cleaning up. But as everyone says, wet pop up must be open to dry. And if we had to just pack up in a hurry, we always opened it to clean it out.
    One of our campers had no outside drain to the fresh water tank. Oh that was annoying!

davekro likes this.
  17. davekro

davekro Active Member

I'm thinking that we either keep a list during the week end or at the end of what on board supplies need replenishing or that weed just like to add. Then have that stuff on hand when we pop it up to pack for the next trip. That's the theory any way. We'll see how it works in practice. ;o)

18. davekro

davekro Active Member

LOL, I love this twist, I will steal it. A favorite of mine, if someone has 'had a few': "How, high are you." Of course if they hear it as "Hi, how are you", your fun question is answered. ;o)

19. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

The need to open at home is usually dictated by how lazy we may have been when breaking camp. If we did not clean very well, or have dishes etc, that did not get put in their place when packing up, that usually means I'm going to open and get everything back in place for the next outing. I have found that if I just throw some stuff in the doorway and wait until next trip, I need to move it to properly set up anyway, and have not saved myself any time.

Sometimes, I just miss being in there, and find a reason to open up and air it out if nothing else. Been known to catch an afternoon nap in there, in the driveway some afternoons.

EmilyW and alabasterjar like this.
  20. davekro

davekro Active Member

This would be our plan as well. Though I had thought to keep certain things in certain cabinets, I will make a physical list as part of our soon to be check list as my DW is not a prudent to put hings back where they came from! ;o). I learned this 'everything has its place' from many years on my ski boat. When people asked why so anal about where things go, whats the big deal. Just throw it anywhere in one of the gunnels or under the bow ('91 Mastercraft). But then you have to Look Everywhere to find something. So much time saved with: "The flag is here, the binding soap is there", etc.

Luckily our door opens w/o raising the top. And in a few days, I'll get the 'Keys' to the door I ordered from Amazon so I can 'lock it' for travel. I was set to buy a whole new lock/latch assy, when one reviewer complauned that they all had the same keyed alike key (one simple cut). Wow do most/ all Pups and smaller RV's with this style lock really have the same key?? I'll find out if the generic key opens my door soon when my keys arrive.

EmilyW likes this.