Do you raise the pup when you get home from a trip?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by davekro, Sep 8, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Member

I have been using my Makita ratcheting driver for the corner jacks. I forgot about the actual brother Makita 'two speed drill' I have, I guess it may have more torque. With the ratcheting driver, obviously I've had not 'wrist twisting', but thanks for the reminder when I now will try the drill. Unfortunately, my Makita LXFD01 18V drill has no room at the nose to mount a 'T' handle. :eek:/ I wonder if holding the base with the other hand would help?

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We always open up the pup when we get home. We want to unpack and clean the pup before closing it up and putting it back in the garage.

alabasterjar likes this.
  3. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

We leave the pup down except when it got wet, as it did a few days ago on a recent trip. Will have to put it up to dry it thoroughly which will provide the chance to do some other maintenance issues. Normally we use what we call the "transfer tote", those items we removed from the camper, such as dirty sheets so when the sheets are washed they go back in the transfer tote. As for the fridge, we use it primarily for beverages, we found the cooler to be much handier, especially the new Yeti knockoffs which go for five days on one load of ice.

wusthof likes this.
  4. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I lean on the side of opening it after I get back, usually within a day or two and depending on the weather, whether the prediction is dry for couple of days. It helps me to give it a good clean, both inside and outside.

BillyMc likes this.
  5. cottonlily

cottonlily New Member

I always raise mine. I give it a good cleaning and restock the things we used, broke or lost and make necessary repairs. Our tiny fridge holds so little it takes only one cold grocery store tote back to a cooler to empty that before we leave. Sometimes I like to look the PUP over for things I want to add or do. Then, sometimes the kid and I take one more backyard "camping" nap before it's closed up! And our PUP has a potty so so definitely like to see to that before it sits a long time... We came home labor day and I just put it back up tonight because I came down sick; usually I set it back up within a couple days.

6. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

Hmm, y'all are a lot luckier than us. Seems like the only conditions we tear down in is in the rain. So, yeah, we almost always pop up when we get home. Really doesn't add that much time, and significantly reduces the stress quotient when we are tearing down at camp...

7. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Yes, we did! We store almost all camping stuff in the trailer. We need to clean our refrigerator, dried food, and such. We have an Aframe and poping up is so much easier than a regular Popup Tent trailer.

8. davekro

davekro Member

Any downsides to your slide out mechanically? We want one on our next pup. Is your pup a 14’ box?
    Nice TV. :eek:). We just bought a Sedona. Do you use a sway bar?

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We always open at home. Sometimes takes a week to get everything clean, linens washed and beds remade for next trip.

We always open a few days prior to trips also. We plug everything in and stock the freezer and fridge the day we leave.

I am paranoid about driving all the way to our destination only to find some kind of issues with rodents or bugs or something. Never happened yet, but sure don't want to be surprised after a drive.

We raise and lower with electric drill.

10. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

The Grandview is a 12' box. Perfect size for the 6 of us!

About the only thing that we have noticed with the slideout is that we need to clean gunk and lube the rails once every year or two to keep it from sticking. Other than that, we have not had a single problem with the slide out feature.

Yes, I installed a Fastway e2 Weight Distribution/Sway Control hitch (E-Trailer PN FA92-00-0450) and a set of Firestone Coil-Rite airbags (PN F4138) to get the van back to level when loaded up.

We love our Sedona. It has plenty of power & space for the family & stuff. We pulled the Grandview to the Seattle area from NE Indiana and back without a problem. I'd encourage you to consider a bluetooth OBDII reader & the Torque Pro application to monitor your vehicle while pulling...check out my post on this here.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  11. davekro

davekro Member

Do you use a corded or cordless drill (what amp rating)? I just adapted my tongue jack so I could use my cordless drill, but it seems to struggle even with that job (Makita L-ion 18V LXFD01). I was planning to adapt a socket for the roof raising, but I doubt this Makita would do that. For raising the top electrically, I may be limited to just 'at home' w/ maybe a larger 1/2" chuck corded drill like this 6.3 amp $30 one from Harbor Freight.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-variable-speed-reversible-drill-69452.html

Yours is a 12' box, w/ 2131 lbs dry wt. , correct? What do you figure your axle weight and tongue weight is loaded for a trip and how does the 3500lb tow cap. Odyssey do towing that. Much sway (do you use a sway bar)? Does back of Odyssey drop a lot while connected? Thanks.

12. Annunzi

Annunzi Member

I use a Dewalt 1/2" 20V Hammer Drill (DCD985) for raising and lowering our pup, it handles it no problem. Previously I was using an 18V Bosch cordless drill and it did struggle with the task.

With the 4ah battery, it has a tonne of run time. I keep the drill and a small bit set in the pup just in case we need it on our trip.

13. wusthof

wusthof Member

Only if wet. We take out all the crap that doesn't normally live in the trailer

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We use this corded drill. We always camp with electric. Being in Florida, we need air conditioning to sleep most of the year. I bought a socket genie to use with the drill.

Yes, those are the correct specs for our camper. I don't have a sway bar and have never experienced sway. Yes, the rear of the van would squat without any help. For a few years we had air bags, but they malfunctioned so now how have Tibren bump stops like these.

Van tows and stops strong. No problems at all. We have used CAT scale app to go get weighed and it gave us the total weight, as well as the per axle weight. I can't remember what any of them were since it's been so many years ago, but we were well within the GVWR and axle weight.

I'm going to put the app on my new phone and weigh again with the new bump stops on it, just to see how it's distributed among the axles now. Just haven't had it out yet.