Do you sleep with the awning up?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Vik17, Aug 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Vik17

Vik17 New Member

One of the first times I put up the awning on my PUP I noticed that they get unwieldy if there is wind. I have a dometic trimline and the ball sockets don't really hold the legs in place very tight. I was thinking about tying some guy lines to the ground for extra stability in wind.

That got me thinking about storms or strong wind in the night when I can't necessarily react as quickly. Is it ok to sleep with the awning out or should I put it up every night? What do folks typically do? Thanks!

J Starsky likes this.
  2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

always tie the awning down - always. I found it up flipped up on the roof before i learned this lesson. At the time, i had a highwall popup with the trimline bag awning. Once the awning was up, there was no taking it down until we packed up (the roof was just too high). we took a trip out in the midwest. once we got west of Ohio - just never bothered putting the awning out - just too much wind every night.

Sean Ellis and kcsa75 like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Well, first and foremost, you need to be mindful of the weather. Before you setup your camper check the X day forecast. It is a P.I.T.A. to put the awning away with the camper setup.

You can replace the ball receptacles very easily if that's an issue. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DV2Z2T8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_eWXkFbE2NHDEJ

Now a bad idea to have a spear set anyway.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I keep the awning up but if weather is calling for a stiffer wind I will be putting that awning away Early if possible . It is extremely difficult to setup/take down an awning when the roof is fully raised but the awning isn’t the most durable and is more prone to break or worse cause damage to your roof. Yes I’ve had to put my awning away in the middle of the night in the pouring rain before, however I’ve learned my lesson an awning can flip over your roof and awning poles puncture something. On my homemade awning the wind ripped the stakes right out of the ground and catapulted the awning pole right over my camper and nearly into my neighbors camper, thank goodness it fell short. That could have caused severe damage the speed it was going. So yeah I’m watching the weather, if a freak storm shows up in the middle of the night I’m checking the weather again and determine if the awning needs to come down.

wusthof likes this.
  5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Mine stayed up unless the wind hit the mid teens, then it would come down. I kept a small step stool in the TV for just that occasion.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  6. Vik17

Vik17 New Member

Ok, I'll be sure to bring the weather radio. I do have a small step stool that helps with reaching the awning bag when the roof is up.

This trip will be to the beach and it seems like the wind is normally stronger there relatively speaking. Guess I'll just play it by ear but plan to put it up if necessary before going to bed.

I appreciate the feedback.

NorthernSpirit likes this.
  7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Never. We lost the awning on the TT in a storm last year. $1,500 later, the awning is rolled up at night, if it looks like a storm/high wind or if I'm going to be more than five minutes away.

Sean Ellis and xxxapache like this.
  8. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

Normally I left the pup awning out all the time...except for the beach trips. Just too windy in general. I got a lesson at 3 am in torrential rain and lightning...in my boxer shorts...on how much fun it is to hold on to a sail by yourself and try to roll it up and not get whacked by the poles.
    Funny how not one other person in my camper woke up at all...weird.

Anyway, I always used tie down straps for the awning on the pup. They get airborne way too easily.

9. p

p Active Member

To secure it....i use an extendable pole under one corner and tie it down with good anchors. tent anchors are not.good enough. the extendable pole also prevents the roof from leaning over and creating a door gap. the pole roles up nicely inside our.outdoor mat that goes onto the bumper.

10. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I use spiral anchors if the ground will hold them well. They don't do great in dry, sandy soil. For that I use some great big orange stakes I got at Lowe's. They're awesome as long as its not rocky.

DigitalGuru likes this.
  11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

12. Rocket Don

Rocket Don Member

Almost always set up. I do drop a corner and tie it very securely to screw in anchors.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My Apache had an old school awning with poles, chains, and springs. I always left it up. It weathered some severe storms with no trouble.

My TT has a Zip Dee awning that is very expensive to replace and easily damaged in high winds. I roll it up anytime we leave the campground and each night.

14. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

We always left the awning up on our pup. Only once did we have an issue with it - wind flipped the whole thing onto the roof and punctured it (Bondo FTW)

Otherwise, we just staked it down, and dropped a corner (usually) in the evening. If we anticipated rain that night, I dropped both corners as far as they would go.

Scott Woodbury likes this.
  15. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Never

grandpa mikey likes this.
  16. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

All awnings should be fastened to the ground. How that is done varies with the awning type. A well fastened awning, with the correct pitch can withstand winds in the 20 or more mph range. As noted, you can get the 10 day wind forecast on many weather sites, you check it and make sure there is not some type of event coming, if there is, you have to put the awning down / back.

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Like others on here I always have the WX RADIO 'ON'....

I got caught one time with a heavy rain that filled in the awning and made a hugh pool of water in the awning. We could not even open the front door of the POPUP trailer... i was tempted to puncture a hole in but finally was able to push up on the awning from underneath using a broom... I could open the door about an inch...

After having this problem I found those ratchet straps and 15-inch screw in Earth Anchors... I was using rope and a cheap anchor which was very easy to pull out. Now i get a real strong earth anchor using the small earth augers set. So far I have not setup anywhere that would not let me screw in the earth augers blade... I use a large screwdriver thru the eyelets to screw into the earth...

[​IMG]
    When you take all down for moving this is the perfect setup to have... The screw earth auger does not leave a mark in the grass...

I also was cutting my ropes before when I could not get the knots off easy and the ratchet type 1/2-inch to 1-inch web straps by 15-ft long makes this all very easy to setup... Everything reusable...

[​IMG]
    No more buying new rope haha...

All available from Amazon

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Dang Roy, you got me singing "Earth Angel" by the Starlighters now lol, popped up in my noggin when I saw "earth anchors"... wife told me to go outside & screech...we too keep a weather band radio & hope the phone weather apps are spot on as well...

19. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Member

Made these about 15 years ago and they still work well. Nothing but a flower pot with concrete and a small piece of PVC pipe. Slide the awning pole into the PVC pipe and then put a pin through to hold it in place. Wife changes the flowers based on the season.

[​IMG]

20. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We keep ours up for the whole stay. I do check out the weather forecast though. If rain/winds are expected I won't deploy. I do stake it out, and have a Camco awning strap kit with a spring on one end that helps a little in keeping it secure. Mine uses plastic tips though to slot into the cross bar at the front, so I suspect they will break before anything else if it gets twisty.

I would love to get something like a FIAMMA awning that is easier to retract but the design of my sidewalls is not conducive to mounting awning anchor points. I also like my screen room, so any change would require a new screen room too.