Do you sleep with the awning up?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Vik17, Aug 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I did the same thing when someone told me about the augers. I found my first set in a local Auto parts store haha... I guess we live by our experiences with others...

I have a camper setup in my backyard next to the woods line and this is where I keep my off-road camper setup when not on the road... I have several different location where the Earth Anchors are in place and the they are screwed in just below the dirt line.. No trip hazard at all... I also have a brick buried at these locations to help me identify where they are haha... I have all four corners of my POPUP trailer setup for running ratchet straps to the ground... Adds a few more MPH wind protections or maybe peace of mind to some extent. Haven't had my trailer turn over yet at any rate...

[​IMG]

When i installed these hooks on all four corners I ended up with a hook point on the inside of the trailer as well.... This solved another problem I was having with my POPU trailer with swaying in the the wind. I could reach up at the top of tte door and could push out a good 6-inches or so... This was a too much movement for us haha... When we don't have the ratchett starps in use outside with the tie point inside the trailer I run two ratchett straps down to the frame on the other side of the inside trailer to the wall frame. This keeps the sway down real good... There is usually only the two of us camping so will criss-cross the tent bed door with the straps... These are behind our wrap around seating and the unused tent bed is our day time catch all place anyway...

We are also avid tent campers still and using the ratchett straps in lieu of ropes for tie down is a hugh blessing... We would have ropes going every were...

Of course they most all got cut when we packed up. No way saving the ropes with the tight knots haha... If you run across a bunch of cut up ropes in the fire pit in your travels that was probably us the previous night haha...

Roy Ken...
    [​IMG]

Whitney Hubert, Rik Peery and Moo like this.
  2. Moo

Moo New Member

We keep our awning up. We have a bag awning. It does not attach to the camper except for at the bag and the top support poles. I ALWAYS use ratchet straps on the outside corners. It has been through heavy wind and rain. As a matter of fact there is usually some wind and rain every trip. But we're in the Rockies so monsoonal rains are common. I understand that if you're a park camper this may not be possible.

3. Moo

Moo New Member

That is awesome! I have been thinking of doing the same on our pup using turnbuckles to connect the two eyebolts on the inside. You just convinced me that it was a good idea.

4. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Always lower one corner for drainage at all times, unless you're using it, especially if you're leaving for the day or going to sleep for the night. Freak rainstorms can destroy your awning (and they aren't cheap). Another trick we used to do is to bring sandbags to weigh down the awning poles (if anchoring to the ground).

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. kbs

kbs New Member

I have this same setup thanks to my DH and I also change out the flowers. Went through horrible weather in Missouri last year....4 tornados nearby and thot for sure we would fly away with the awning but was not about to go out in the storm. Lesson learned... DO NOT TURN OFF CELL PHONE ALERTS. Everyone else got notification and went to the concrete restrooms ....scariest thing I have ever been thru BUT the awnings held even though the bed lifted a couple of inches a few times...

6. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I really came close to getting a FIAMMA awning for my pup. Their awnings are really nice, especially the F450 version that you can just crank out with handle.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    DigitalGuru likes this.
  7. Plsc

Plsc New Member

We left ours up one night and a pop t-storm filled it up. It was all I could do to get the door open to get out.
    As I stood there wondering what to do it collapsed under the weight of the water making a sound like a cannon and bringing everyone out to see what was going on.
    Now if anyone had been in its path when collapsing they would have been seriously hurt at a minimum.
    It always gets put up at night now.
    Fortunately my insurance did not contain a stupidity clause and covered it minus deductible.

8. penny

penny Well-Known Member

a person's opinion on leaving the awning out may depend on where you live and camp. we NEVER leave any awning out. NM can have some crazy unexpected storms. my son has a big trailer with an expensive awning and a microburst twisted it all up. it's an automatic, he couldn't get it in fast enough. We were camping a few weeks ago and left the awning out all night because we were having a steady calm rain. but we lucked out and it stayed a calm rain. I suppose a bag awning would do less damage to the camper than a heavy roller awning crashing into the side of a travel trailer, but it still could cause some kind of havoc. Awnings are very nice, but we hardly ever used our pop up awning because of the difficulty of taking it in or out.

9. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

You can tell this is something that every awning owner has had to deal with. My [2C]:
    1. I check the weather constantly throughout the day (hobby of mine), and leave notifications on. Weather radio on, esp in areas of bad cell service. Adjust awning as needed, if a storm is coming and we're out in the open, it gets closed. Wooded area; probably leave it out, on an angle/drop a pole.
    2. ALWAYS reinforce. I use on 1 screw in type anchor set at a 45 deg angle from the corner for each pole. Another option if you can't screw into the ground (or for extra protection) is use a ratchet strap and wrap around the outside corners of the awning and attach it to the frame of camper, should be about a 45 deg angle. Make it TIGHT.
    3. Use caution with only using weighted pots / concrete to hold posts down. I've read on this board of people who have witnessed the awning flipping the whole bucket up and over onto the camper and REALLY messing somethings up. A strong wind against an awning exerts a mighty amount of force. It'll turn those into 50# projectiles.
    4. You can never be too safe. Mother nature will let you know if you've been slippin.

10. Emerson

Emerson New Member

Trim line bag awning on a high-wall for us. Only used the camper one time so far, but left the awning out our 4 day stay with moderate wind. We also have the zip-on enclosure that adds a bit of weight and helps keep the awning from catching much wind. I didn’t fasten the awning to the ground with any lines but placed our two coolers on the enclosure’s skirting. Seemed to hold well.

11. Vik17

Vik17 New Member

Great tips guys, thank you. I'm planning to tie it down for sure. Sounds like I should consider getting some better anchors tho, I have the crappy metal ones that come with a tent. Headed out in the morning so sounds like a pit stop at Wally World is in order.

12. gardenheather

gardenheather Member Silver Supporting Member

This is why I love this site. It never even occurred to me to question whether I should leave the awning up. And I have a very vivid memory of our borrowed trailer nearly tipping with our pregnant mother and us three young kids inside of it, and she was cooking a huge pan of boiling sloppy joe that almost ended up all over her. Thankfully the awning ripped off just then and the trailer landed back down.
    So you'd think it would have occurred to me, but no. :laugh:

13. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

How do I sleep with the awning open? Like a rock.

I leave mine up, the pup and the TT. Never bothered me, but not the poles fell down a couple stormy nights in the pup, but we love the awnings out.

14. Leslie Chasse

Leslie Chasse New Member

15. Leslie Chasse

Leslie Chasse New Member

16. Leslie Chasse

Leslie Chasse New Member

I assisted the problem of the awning and even a slight breeze by hanging a 1 gallon water jug on each end of the awning. This holds the thing in place pretty well under most weather conditions. However, if the wind does become an issue, roll it up asap. I've never been in the pop when the weather was rockin and rollin, but I'd imagine it must be pretty exciting!

[​IMG]

J Starsky likes this.
  17. mgbussey

mgbussey New Member

Just a reminder for anyone who ignores the idea about keeping one end of the awning lower than the other: About a decade ago, we camped at Kakabeka Falls in Ontario which has a very nice campground. I neglected to lower one side of our awning, and it rained hard during the night. I was the first to wake up the next morning, and when I attempted to open our popup door, it wouldn't budge. Looking out the window showed that water had collected on the awning, and that the metal rail at the "front" of the awning had bent almost in half. A very nice Canadian man camping next to us said "I was waiting to see what happened when you woke up.". He helped me empty the water out and to mostly unbend the rail so it was serviceable, and actually took out his ax, and chopped down a small tree to hold it up in the center since the aluminum rail was no longer strong enough. I know chopping down a small tree may not be the best thing to do at a park, but we used it for the rest of our stay at the campground. Lesson learned: Be sure to lower one end of the awning every time you use it. We still leave our awning setup during the night unless it's a one night stay.

18. Sharpie

Sharpie Member

We always tied are coleman awning down. It went through heavy rain and wind storms like it was a breeze. Of course they dont make them that way anymore but tie it down with big pegs and ratchet straps and you should be good.

19. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Fun question - its a dry land equivalent of : do you sleep with the dingy drifting behind the sailboat? The answer is "not if you don't want to find it upside down, and the outboard motor now flooded with seawater!"

20. Blue411

Blue411 Member

I would love to see more pictures of this, including the PVC pipe and how you get the pin in it. Great hack