Do you sleep with the awning up?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Vik17, Aug 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Blue411

Blue411 Member

We returned from a kayak excursion to our pop-up to find the awning blown onto the top of the roof like so many others have said. It knocked into our AC and I think it tripped the power. Anyway, not good at all. It took us about an hour in the sweltering noon sun to get the awning down and get the power back

2. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Member

Hey Blue - your wish is our command. We created a thread in "My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders). You can find the thread at "Awning Support Pots"

Hope that helps! :):):)

blue tulip likes this.
  3. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

Do you have a picture of this set up??

4. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

For 10 years if we put the awning out it stayed out, and we used it 95 percent of the time or more. It was a Carefree of Colorado brand and a pain to roll out and set up, it really took two people, nut I have done it myself. I always staked the legs to the ground, and tied it down with some screw in anchors.

Now with the travel trailer it's electric, goes right out nice. But, they say it's not made for when it's windy, or if it's raining, or if you leave camp you need to bring it in, etc. So in two seasons I don't even know if I've used it two times.

5. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

I bungee cord ours to the ball sockets. there has been a time or two it's come out of the socket, but the bungee keeps them from going any further.

If we know severe storms are coming I'll retract it, otherwise I never do.

6. Moo

Moo New Member

[​IMG]

7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I put pieces of PVC pipe in fairly large flower pots, as well as eye bolts & a spot for solar yard lights, then filled them with concrete. Our awning poles set down in the PVC, then the guy lines are attached to the eye bolts & tightened...in 3 years, we've been thru some fairly healthy windstorms, with no problems. Another nice thing about doing it this way, is if you're on asphalt or concrete, you can still tie your awning down.

20180825_201907.jpg

8. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

My awning says the same things...but, if you can't use it why bother carrying it around lol. All you have to do is push the button to deploy and retract it so you might as well use it. They all say they're not for rain, just because they don't want the liability issues if it collects water and collapses. But thats why you drop one corner of the awning when it rains.

I put mine out 99% of the time. I use ratchet straps on each corner and put a doubled up bungee cord between the strap and stake in the ground just to allow it to move a bit in the wind. If it gets too windy, like at the beach, I roll it back. At the beach, I put it in if I'm not there to babysit it anyway. Everywhere else its been fine with the ratchet straps holding it down.

Jimbow likes this.
  9. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I know that Carefree has an awning stabilizer kit that has poles that adjust and cradle under the awning roller tube, and then you strap it down. I'm sure they help, but like anything else you really need to be careful not to do anything to stress the setup or angle.

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Nearly always have awning setup and most of the time have screen room attached to it. I put the legs to the ground and tie it down keeping the low end as low as possible. If they are calling for winds to high for the awning (with screen room attached) it's probably not going to be very pleasant camping weather. We had one time that a storm blew in with just the awning that gave be a little concern, but it did fine.

11. Blue411

Blue411 Member

This looks great! I love it. I’m going to do this

12. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I almost always have the awning up unless there are high winds. When I set up I very securely stake it out and generally have one side lower.
    I did need to lower it once in strong winds, quite a chore in the wind doing it solo!