Do you use a dining tent?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Thai, Jun 20, 2015.

1. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

We have a Eureka Northern Breeze room. It has screens and zip in sides and an awning. It is very sturdy and you could use it when it is pouring out. Sometimes we use it, sometimes not. At one point we had the whole camper set up as beds, so we used it every trip and it had the table, cooler, water jug and so on. We ate there and it was a place to relax and read or play cards in also. We use it less now because we have another tent some of the kids sleep in so that gives us back the table in the camper that we can use if the weather is bad and for games and such. The eureka is kind of spendy, but very well built.

2. Back2Basics

Back2Basics Member

We use our EZ up for dinning ,Sun and rain protection and the awning for camping kitchen area.

3. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

We have a 12x12 Coleman shelter that we bring for longer trips (more than three nights) or if we're camping with a group so we have somewhere to congregate in case of rain. For shorter trips, we don't bother unless there's a high chance of rain.

4. jeanmariemc

jeanmariemc New Member

We always use the EZ up but only use the net if bugs are in issue.

It seems that it rains every time we camp so the EZ up is helpful. We just lower it over the table if it gets windy and it keeps things dry and so far hasn't blown away.

5. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Some form of an EZ-up is a good solution. Many of the campsites that I visit have fairly narrow pads, and with the slide-out extending on one side, the awning side often doesn't have enough room to spread out and relax. Plus, sitting under the awning alongside the trailer puts me close to the CG roadway. On the other hand, to the aft of the trailer is the spacious campsite; picnic table, fire ring, etc. And it's set back further from the roadway. If I can make that area more comfortable to use by putting a canopy over the picnic table, it makes sense to do so.

Anyway, at most campgrounds near me that's the best configuration. I like to be able to relax outside. The shade and rain protection of the canopy makes that possible, and keeps me from being more confined to the trailer for shelter.

6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We use ours all the time, we prefer to cook and eat outside.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a canopy we use all the time. We have the screens for it and put them up when we notice lots of bugs (mosquito's).

8. myitchyfeet

myitchyfeet New Member

I had to google dining tent - they're not all that common here!
    I find loads of people use their pop up campers without any extras, not even an awing. Our awning is set up for cooking and eating - but then our pop up is super teeny tiny.

9. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

We use a canopy when there is no shade
    [​IMG]

10. CheeksUp

CheeksUp New Member

Only use the pup for sleeping; never cook or eat in it. We love our PahaQue screen tent. Comes with screens and sides. Sides can be used as awnings and it's wonderful for more shade. Love it and don't camp without it.

11. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

I have an EZ-up that we put over the picnic table. It works great if there is not enough shade or if we're concerned with stuff falling out of the trees. I'm considering getting a 2nd one just for additional shade.

I, also, have a hexagon screen tent that we use if there are bug issues. It will fit around a picnic table with a bit of room to spare.

I really like the cover that swordfish has in the post, above. I'm thinking about getting one of them in the future.

I set up my cooking tables under the popup awning.

12. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

We have two different sheltesr....one with rain flaps and screening and one without. For longer trips (over 3 days) we take the one with rain flaps (I call it 'the shed' because we store our firewood and chairs in it in rainy conditions.....it's fussy to set up. Depending on site conditions we often just hang a large tarp to put the table under if raining.

13. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

We have a kelty sunshade that we use near pup or over picnic table or just off to the side what ever and where ever we choose

14. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

We have an Ez up that we are using for a cook shelter. Our awning is small and used for only a few things.

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

After dealing with the awning on the TT on this trip, i both appreciate it and realize we probably need to use our current shade structure as a cooking area or buy something for that. I like being able to put the awning up and down by myself, though that will be easier when the minor damage I did to it with a tree is fixed. It was nice to take it down as a windstorm approached yesterday- had seen storm clouds and lightening in the distance, then the huge dust cloud.
    There really isn't enough space for our outdoor cooking set-up under the awning, especially if I allow for not being at the edge, where we can still get rained on.
    Our shade structure isn't huge, but we have a wind wall for two sides, which helps keep the rain out.

16. popupprincess

popupprincess Member

We pull the table out of the pup and put that in the screened awning room for 'stuff'.
    Too tight for us all to eat in the pup anyway...so we put the dining tent up and eat on the picnic table...keeps the bugs off and great place to sit if it's raining and can still play games etc. and still be outside...which is kind of the point of camping!