Do you weather proof your power cord connections?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Wrenchgear, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I've been dry camping for 20+ years, and only recently have been getting set up on electrical sites. I'm heading to an electrical site later this summer that will have me set up quite some distance from the power post on the site. I'll probably be about 150 feet from the post. I have enough cords (10/3, no A/C) to stretch the distance to the post, but I'll be using 3 cords plugged together to do it. Does anyone try to protect their plug together connections from rain and such? I've never bothered before, but running power cords to my Pup is still new to me. Just asking what others do.

I've heard of guys notching out a margarine container (or similar) on each side. They lay the connection in there and then snap the lid back on. The lid keeps the rain off the connection, and the rest of the container holds it up off the ground. Does anyone do that, or something similar?

2. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I have never bothered, but I might ensure my connections would have no chance of sitting in standing water in the event of rain. I would certainly see no harm in the plastic container trick, especially since it would be free.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I've only had to run further than my PUP's shore power cord a few times, mostly because the sites were motorhome "pull in" sites, putting the power pole on the other side of the site for back in trailers.

I thought about it, but all I really looked at was if the was a potential for water to puddle where the cords connected. Luckily I'm normally in a high gravel spot, so I didn't worry about it.

In general, I don't worry about it for outside power for Christmas lights, gutter/roof heaters, engine block heaters, and the like. So, I'd probably not worry about it too much for my PUP (I don't run A/C either).

4. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

Wrenchgear,
    You are probably going to one of our nice provincial parks where the sites are big. The power post (outlets) is usually at the rear between two sites servicing the two sites. Depending on which site you are on it can be a ways to the RV. I have never done anything really and ran 30 amp cord and lied the connected cord on the grass and hoped for the best.
    Other than a margarine tub, a one liter or two liter soft drink (pop) bottle with the ends cut off could do the trick. This would make a little tunnel for the cord connection to go in and be protected some what.
    A margarine tub, yogurt tub, flower pot, etc. turned upside would make a little dome for protection.
    What others do? I do not know and maybe they can add here.
    A quick search and here is a commercial product I found: (there are others) dome cord connection protector
    Good luck and happy camping.

5. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned duct tape...

As long as they're well made, connectors are watertight, so you only have to worry about sealing the gap between them.
    I've used plastic sandwich bags, in the past.

6. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Yogurt container, ziplock container can also be used. If you want something fancy go power cord connector. For the 30-amp extension cord, go with containers or raise it up with a rock and cover it with a bucket.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I notched the correct size Rubbermaid container and always carry it with us. I have used it a couple of times.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never and I have used 100ft with 3 cords, never taped or rubbermaid any of the connections.. What I do is prop the connection up on a rock, piece of wood or something like that ...

9. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I keep mine plugged in with a 100 ft cord much of the time, and I do not weatherproof the connection between the power cord and the pup connection. No connectors are on the ground though. The few times I was at a site where I needed the extension to my 30 AMP line, I just let it sit on the ground. No problems.

10. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I also carry 3 50 ft 10/3 cables. I often need 2 and only once so far have I needed 3. I've never done anything where I join the cords together other than to make sure they are tight and not in a depression where a puddle could form.