Dock lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by 94-D2, Jan 27, 2014.

1. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

DW and I have been expanding our camping trips from just the summer months. We now have seemed to take a winter trip to a warmer spot for an extended weekend for the last few years, most recently Joshua Tree National Park. With winter travel shorter periods of daylight are prevalent, which increases the chance of pulling into camp at dark or returning home in the dark. The darkness exacerbates issues backing the pup in any situation much less positioning into a camping spot you will be stuck with for the next few days. So, I set out to install some dock lighting which will assist in getting into the spots you prefer and hopefully keeping you out of a spot you would rather not find yourself in. These were my solution:

These are simple LED driving lights I found at Walmart. $24.00 with wiring harness.
    [​IMG]

I chose a location close to the tires which would allow me to put them exactly where I could see the ground directly under them. If needed, you could toss a glow stick out and place it exactly where the wheels should be positioned.
    [​IMG]

I opted to use a switch location on the battery box. It is weather tight and wired directly to the batteries. A remote switch could be fashioned from the tow vehicle but I figure you have to get out to survey the site anyway.
    [​IMG]

I've used them on this last trip upon returning home. They worked as expected but it is apparent to me that I need more up front. So I plan to add at least two more forward of the axles being mindful of washing out your mirror view by back lighting. For info, this type of lighting should be indirect thus preventing that condition.

Happy Campin'

2. uploon

uploon Member

Looks nice. I showed the mod to DW, and I was told I didn't need them.

I'll find a reason to, even if it's just because I like the mod!

Cheers, JC

3. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

give DW a bulb flashlight w low batteries next time you pull in after dark and ask to guide you in [:D]

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

It's a $25.00 mod. Do it just for fun. Thanks for the bump!

5. arffch

arffch Member

I used the CHEAP porch lights ($4.99)with clear lenses and mounted on the frame in front and back of the tires. You can't aim them but put out a lot of light and under the camper you are protected from upward glare just my [2C]

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

After arriving at this weekends cg right at dusk and not arriving to the site until it was dark due to check-in line up, I will be adding some lights to the wheel well area as well as the back bumper... Only way to see the DW was to do the old two foot driving and just keep the brake pedal pressed for light...

7. cprdnick

cprdnick Just Clint

Walmart and auto zone carry some flexible strips with LED's sealed inside. Ive used them for several applications, and they're amazing. They probably arent very good spot lights, but good undercarriage lighting I would imagine.

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Well DUH on me!! I LOVE glow sticks! I always carry tons of them for the kids. Never thought of using them for night time markers! Good job! [CB]

Thanks for the mind tap!

[:D]