dodge grand caravan hitch confusion

homan1

Apr 19, 2015
I hope someone has some experience or can possibly shed some light on this. i'll try to keep it short.
Specs: 2015 grand caravan/ factory tow group (factory 2" receiver bolt on type)
stated manual max: 3600lbs gtw (3500lbs with stow and go) max tongue weight 360lbs.
I understand how all the gross weights work in the sense adding cargo reduces tw, gtw, load vehicle and trailer properly etc.. (mostly thanks to this site and all of you :) either with direct answers or prompting more research)

My confusion is this; manual states max tw as 360lbs and 3600lbs gtw. Searching installed options by vin shows a class 2 receiver hitch. These weights as i understand hitch specs are above a class 2 receiver max limits. I have a 2' receiver opening which except a few oddball class 2 receivers with 2" openings should make my hitch a class 3. Am I wrong in thinking it is a class 3? There are no stickers, labels, stamped weight, brand, or type on this receiver. There is only a stamped series of numbers and my limited search skills with part numbers is getting me nowhere. Calling dodge just managed to get me someone regurgitating the manual I have already read. The numbers on the receiver are 64510 353 14 no dashes just spaces. I'm worried this is an oddball 2" class 2 and i'm stuck with class 2 specs and as I understand it not being able to install weight distribution equipment. either that or having to argue with the dealer to get a proper hitch or buying a new one. i will call the dealer tomorrow and try to get answers as well. Sorry this was so long.
any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

homan1

Apr 19, 2015
frankvanw1 said:
Homan1,
I think you have a class III hitch,
see here for more info: grand caravan
Good luck and happy camping.

Thank you for the reply. The link you sent among others I have looked at leads me to believe the same. Class 2 on the installed options sheet and lack of info on the receiver just has me a little nervous. If it helps to understand my caution, picking up our first N2U pup on Thursday or Friday and just want to tow as safely as I can.

homan1

Apr 19, 2015
This is our N2U 2014 palomino 12dd. It was used once by a family that didn't like pup camping after they bought it. I hope I posted the picture right.
Christina
65e9db1bfa559e84146be7774224588f.jpg

HobieNick

Mar 16, 2015
Nice trailer. We just got a 2015 12DD. We are very happy with it. I am interested to hear your thoughts on any mods you plan to do after you use it a bit.

If you have any questions about the camper, please feel free to pm me. I have spent way too much time going over the trailer and am very familiar with it. I am also keen to learn more.

crosbys2008

Super Active Member
Sep 2, 2013
Erie, PA
When I had my outlander it's hitch was classed a class 2 hitch, however it had a 350 lb TW and 3500 lb trailer weight. My research found it to be what they called a class 2 upgrade. I know stupid they just put a class 3 on and stay with industry standards. very frustrating.

--Rob--

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Take the VIN into your Chrysler dealer and have them run it and give you the correct info about the hitch, it will be listed on the build sheet as to whether it is a class 2 or class 3 ...

If you read this, you'll see that generally a class II hitch has the 3500lb rating and the class III has a 6000lb rating.. pay special attention to the NOTE on the class III hitch.. "NOTE: Most manufacturers call any hitch with a 2" x 2" opening a Class III hitch. It is not uncommon to see a 2" hitch rated at 3,500 lbs GTW called a Class III hitch"

Here's the link :
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

What get from the write up is you have a 3500lb class II, 2 inch hitch..

vinmaker

Super Active Member
Aug 22, 2014
Snow said:
Take the VIN into your Chrysler dealer and have them run it and give you the correct info about the hitch, it will be listed on the build sheet as to whether it is a class 2 or class 3 ...

If you read this, you'll see that generally a class II hitch has the 3500lb rating and the class III has a 6000lb rating.. pay special attention to the NOTE on the class III hitch.. "NOTE: Most manufacturers call any hitch with a 2" x 2" opening a Class III hitch. It is not uncommon to see a 2" hitch rated at 3,500 lbs GTW called a Class III hitch"

Here's the link :
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitchclasses.aspx

What get from the write up is you have a 3500lb class II, 2 inch hitch..

Excellent reply. People need to pay attention to the details on stuff like this.

Vin.

homan1

Apr 19, 2015
Okay since Sean is on a train working I figured I would take a picture of the hitch. So if anyone laughs just know this is the smart guys wife. I am not sure these will help.

924b8234b8d778d61704cab968fe4e0a.jpg

b58a34452b48642e6f4f9c5868f81b3f.jpg

cf2d6cfcc4e64ef4c8297f953eea2486.jpg

Christina

rabird

Howdy!
Mar 3, 2006
N. TX
The only tow package I could find for a 2015 Grand Caravan R/T

TRAILER TOW GROUP
Class II Receiver Hitch
Load Leveling and Height Control
Trailer Tow Wiring Harness

CamperMike

Super Active Member
Sep 27, 2012
It is a class II, but it has a 2" opening. That is what the Grand Caravan tow package comes with. It should work fine for your new trailer, and I think you'll be happy with the GC as a tow vehicle as long as you stay within its limits. My 2011 T&C does well towing a similar sized(and weight) trailer. I am jealous that you got a Grand Caravan with the tow package as they can be hard to find, and adding all the equipment to mine took a little while. If you haven't done so already, you should get a brake controller installed as you will want to use the electric brakes on that trailer.

homan1

Apr 19, 2015
Too many replies to quote, but thank you all for the help. I will try to get confirmation with the vin at the dealer.
Campermike: took them a about a week to find our gc, far enough away they had to trailer it back. Brake controller will be installed it before I turn a wheel with it hitched.
Thanks again to all of you for the info.
Just wanted some peace of mind to be sure of the equipment I was working with so we could load accordingly.

arthuruscg

Super Active Member
Nov 14, 2012
Check the owners manual to see if you can use a weight distribution hitch. Since a Class 2 maxes out at 3.5k Dodge uses a Call 3 hitch that is derated to match the van's 3.6k tow rating.

homan1

Apr 19, 2015
arthuruscg said:
Check the owners manual to see if you can use a weight distribution hitch. Since a Class 2 maxes out at 3.5k Dodge uses a Call 3 hitch that is derated to match the van's 3.6k tow rating.
Owners manual suggests using a WDH with heavier tongue weight. Everything I've read about WDH's says that can't be used on class 2 hitches but not why. Nothing I can find says anything about a 2" class 2. I may not need one anyway, just trying to determine what I can/should use to tow safely. I'll probably get up to the dealer, hook up and it will tow home without any problems. Will be a good test run though. Light tv load, empty pup, few hours home with varying speeds, road types, and conditions including a couple of familiar high winds locations.

HobieNick

Mar 16, 2015
homan1 said:
By any chance did you buy your in Missouri?

Yes, from Byerly. We were very happy with the buying experience. I dropped off the trailer for some warranty work this past weekend. We will see how the service department is.

homan1

Apr 19, 2015
I wonder if Hal helped you. I called down there on the camper you bought. He was awesome. Enjoy your camper. We bought ours at vacation land rv. Just got our call tonight that it is ready for pickup. Just hoping Sean can get this hitch thing figured out before we get there.
Christina

CamperMike

Super Active Member
Sep 27, 2012
What do you need help figuring out with the hitch prior to towing? Getting the right drawbar? A 2" or 2 1/2" rise that is designed for a class 3 hitch should work for you. That should get the trailer about level. I use a 2" rise with my T&C and the trailer tows level. Good luck!

arthuruscg

Super Active Member
Nov 14, 2012
I suspect Dodge is calling it a Class II to try and prevent people from towing the Class III max of 6k.

Just stay with in the limits and you will be fine. If the manual says you can use a WD then you can use a WD hitch.