Dodge Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by slowfatknitter, Aug 25, 2013.

1. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

Had a Dodge Dakota Sport...hated it the minute I sat in it. Looking to trade for a Dodge Ram 1500, V8, 4.7L. I want to pull 22ft hybrid camper. I max out the Dakota's towing capacity. Will the Dodge Ram do the job?

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

2013?
    http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/?section=light_duty

Max payload is just over 1300 lbs. That will decrease with luxury interior packages, bigger cabs, 4x4? option, bedliner, etc.
    Remember - you, passengers, tools, wood, pets, coolers, the WDH and anything else you put in the truck must be subtracted from that. Then subtract the tongue weight of the trailer.
    Is there anything left?
    The tow rating should be fine if you travel with a fairly empty truck and load the HTT.

3. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Towing capacity should be fine but I doubt you'll be happy with the 4.7's performance while towing... Then again who knows could be comparing apples to oranges. I have a Ford f-150 with the 4.6 V8... It doesn't really care to much for our 17 ft. travel trailer. Oh it tows it fine but don't expect to get in any hurry. Now hitch it up to the back of the Durango with the 5.7 Hemi... Different story! [:D]

4. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Why the hurry?
    310 hp and 330 torkies is more than enough for a small HTT or TT.

5. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

Op never stated what year of ram, 2008 and up 4.7s are 310hp , 2007 and earlier only have something like 265hp

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have the RAM 1500 and get about 14 mpg while towing the TrailManor through mountains.

7. Twisty

Twisty New Member

I asked, "2013?"
    No response yet.
    I don't get the bigpowerbighurry thing.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I would strongly urge you to wait another month or two if you can .. Dodge is coming out with a v6 diesel in 1500's this fall ...

Not much info out on the web yet, but ask your dealer, they may have a bit more ...

9. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

My Dakota has the 4.7. AWESOME engine for the DAKOTA. I wouldn't tow anything with the 4.7 in a full size. The numbers say it should be ok, but I like to have room, just in case. A friend of mine has the 4.7 in his 1500, and it feels weak while pulling.

I'd look at the 5.7 or even wait for their new diesel.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I forgot to mention that mine's the 5.7 Hemi.

11. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

This is a 2003 we're looking at....think I'll continue to look. Thanks guys. Mr Slow isn't very good at this stuff anymore.

12. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Active Member

As far as the rams go I would look into an 2008, you can still find them rather easily with less than 45k miles on them, was the the year the engine/trans received a make over (same ones still currently used in the new models) and it was the last year the 1/2 tons still had leaf springs in yhe rear

Ideally a 5.7l with 3.92 rear end, even with the hemi I would stay away from the 3.55

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I should mention, that 2006 and newer, will have the MDS ignition on the Hemi... Our truck has the Hemi with 3.55 gears and pulls our TT with no problems...

14. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

I have a 2004 Dodge with the Hemi and full tow package and I can say that I am not overly impressed with it's towing abilities. It just seems to be working hard all the time. My father has a 2006 Ford F150 and while we didn't tow too far, it seemed to handle the trailer much better than mine.

15. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

I don't get why I like ice cream either because I sure don't need it but its in the freezer just in case there is ever a hankering for it!

16. JAprilson

JAprilson New Member

I have a '09 1500 4.7L V8 and it pulls a '09 Starcraft 36RT that weighs about 4000 pounds. I think it pulls it just fine! I would like and will be getting something bigger, motor wise, in the future but it gets the job done and I pull it all over Central Texas hill country without any problems. Gas mileage aint worth a dang though...it probably gets about 12 mpg's

17. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I have a Land Rover Discovery, 4.0 Bosch engine. They do the job, but passing anyone will be a problem at that weight. My E3 is approximately 4200 total after I add my equipment and luggage, and while rated in High for 5500 my Disco struggles in the mountains on the higher grades. Flat roadway it does awesome for what's its worth.

So happiness should be rated as did it get you safely to your CG, not how fast it got you there.[​IMG]

18. steved

steved New Member

The 2012 4.7L Ram 1500 4x4 we used on a job site rode well and did alright on the highway, but it felt underpowered for a full size truck (compared to my 6.0L) with just four guys and luggage, and didn't do a whole lot better in fuel mileage than my 6.0L either.

My coworker has a 2004 5.7L Ram 2500 he tows a 7500# camper with and he says it doesn't do too bad, but I don't know what rear gearing he has either (I'm guessing 4.10).

If I was looking at a Dodge, it would be a 5.7L.

19. supton

supton New Member

Hard to go wrong with bigger. These days with the many-speed transmissions it's not as bad as it used to be.

A 22 foot what? I have not spent much time looking, but trailers range between heavy and light. I'm guessing a 22' light one would be fine, and a 22' heavy one (slideouts and granite tops and a hot tub, etc) would not. I have not looked at Dodge's but elsewhere on the web I've always seen to not go past about 80% of GCWR. A 1500 RAM is going to be what, 5,000lb? maybe less if regular cab 2wd, but close enough. A pure guess says a 4.7L with tow package and appropriate gearing would be good for about 13k GCWR. So derate to perhaps 10.4k GCWR, subtract the 5k curb and you have a max trailer of around 5,400lb. Subtract out all the stuff you plan to take with you (people etc) and I'm guessing around 5k max. I'm guessing a trailer rated at 4k "dry" and 5k GVWR, give or take, is "max". And even then, you will know it on the hills. You will pull 4k+ to maintain speed. Now, does that matter? To some it does, and to others it doesn't. But it shouldn't prematurely wear stuff out by keeping to 80% loading or less--rule of thumb is most engines will tolerate 75% loading for a really long time, as long as it's in good shape.

I'd do more camper shopping first. If not, then definately go for a 5.7L with pulling gears. And even then it might be a bit too little, in case 22' becomes 26' or 31' or ....

20. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

I owned a 2004 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7L and now drive a 2012 Ram 1500 with the 5.7L hemi. I have a big popup (2007 Fleetwood Utah) which goes 2500 lbs dry (~3000 loaded). The difference between the 4.7 and the 5.7 is signifcant in both power and MPG. You knew you were towing with the 4.7 (especially on hills) whereas the 5.7 doesn't even notice. PLUS, the 5.7 Ram gets BETTER MPG than the 4.7 Dakota with and without the popup. I averaged a bit over 16 MPG with the camper (2500 miles from upstate NY to Nashville and back). Without the camper I can get 20+ mpg if I set cruise at 70 mph and let the VVT operate. IMO I would never get another 4.7 when the 5.7L is by far superior and without much cost.

I also want to note that both the 3.7 and 4.7 engines had oil sluge/plugging issues whereas the engine cooling circuit on the 5.7 has been refined over the years and better than the 4.7.