Does anybody take along.......

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by pop daddy, Feb 21, 2009.

1. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We brought the toaster oven once. Only problem for us is most of the places we go don't have electricity. When we do, the coffee maker is our best friend.

2. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

We took a toaster oven along on our Labor Day trip and it worked very well as we tend to only bring the minimal number of items.. one thing we ran into was with the A/C, the griddle and toaster oven on, it tripped the 20A breaker (but I am planning on getting a 30 to 20A adapter for the AC)

3. girlie1980_2000

girlie1980_2000 New Member

We have a coffee pot, toaster, microwave, crock pot, and a electric skillet, we also have a little sandwich maker in there. We have yet to use the microwave, but will come in handy im sure. Toaster and Coffee Pot, and crock pot are always used.

I keep them, just in case.....

4. Crazycoleman

Crazycoleman It is so much better when you wake up IN the pup!

We have an electric griddle packed in our pup. We used it to cook a whole mess of pancakes at the family reunion over Labor Day. We have used it for eggs and sausage too. Just got the Coleman stove working. Looking forward to trying it out..And a toaster oven is on the garage sale to buy list.

ROb

5. lyz

lyz New Member

No toaster, but we bring an electric skillet. This has made life so much easier!!! We've struggled to cook over propane in wind and rain and the skillet has been a life-saver! I know it's cheating, but I'm okay with that.

6. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

Trouble is if you take all that stuff you'll eventually need one of these [LOL]

[​IMG]

7. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

We haven't taken one yet, but when we camp with my parents, my Mom always brings one for their PUP. They sure are nice to have!

8. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

What we bring, and what we use are often very different things.

We carry a small dorm fridge, microwave and toaster, coleman deep fryer. And of course propane and butane burners.

If there is no hydro, I can run the small fridge from batteries/inverter, run the microwave from small 1600W inverter generator (and to charge the batteries).

I make coffee every morning (just instant stuff) by boiling a pot of water with the single butane burner.

I purchased a nice cheap backyard propane BBQ and cut the legs/wheels off and made it a tabletop unit.

Funny thing is, we like to bring this stuff, and with or without hydro, hardly even use the electric appliances. Just nice to have "just in case". If we were to always have a hydro site, I would likely add a toaster oven. But with the extra junk people like to bring (read: grandson + xbox + small monitor) inside pup space has dwindled considerably.

However, we are learning to do with less weight and clutter. We've purchased a couple of 5-day coolers, which work out VERY well and have almost eliminated the need for the fridge completely. We've planned most meals to not need a microwave. The deep fryer needs no hydro (it's propane of course) but takes up a lot of space. We've used it once so far. Works real well, but we have yet to determine if it was worth the purchase.

Well, for me the season has ended. And I have to wait at least 6 months before I open her up and effect a couple of repairs. But nice to see there is some activity on the board.

Cheers.

9. funkyplatt

funkyplatt New Member

I've been contemplating getting one, and now I'm thinking about putting in our old electric skillet that has been collecting dust under the sink. Just made tons of room in the pup, might as well use it :)

10. lyz

lyz New Member

Last summer we were at Guadalupe River SP and no lie....I saw tent campers with a full refrigerator. A regular, kitchen-size fridge standing outside their tent.

They were with a big group of people and guess they decided it was easier than filling a zillion coolers with ice....

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I bring no electric appliances because I never camp where there is electricity.

12. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

We also camp where there is no electricity (well, so far, anyway...) We don't take any electric appliances with us at all. As I've mentioned before, I married a 100% country girl who lived without electricity and natural gas for a good portion of her life (if I can get it scanned, some day I'll post a pic of her using her Briggs & Stratton powered washing machine,) so camping to her is a piece of cake. We cook everything over the fire, on our 2-burner propane stove, or on the BBQ grill.

13. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

I have been debating buying a toaster oven and now I think I will as it is just the 2 of us we have the space to leave one in the pup. Thanks to the earlier post on the rotisserie idea I use my showtime rotisserie quite a bit at the house and have been kicking around the idea of one for the pup the standard size will cook around a 12 lb turkey, they say 15 lbs but I find that a bit to much for the rotisserie now I think I will buy a second one just for camping they make the best chicken and prime rib and pork loins .

14. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Did once. Wife and I were getting away for a couple of days without the kids. We got an electric site and it did make our life easier. When we have the six kids, we don't have room for it. Also often we do not have electric.

15. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

We never use electric when we camp, it's more fun to go without!