does anyone have or use a blowup kayak

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by dave123, Sep 5, 2016.

1. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

i'm looking at buying a blowup kayak but don't know which to buy. several styles and prices,,, i want it be compact and very rugged but not to heavy. anyone have experience with the blowups and how do you like [:)C] [:)C] it??? thanks .............. david

2. p

p Active Member

We have one. A seymore brand I think. It could hold two,adults and two 5 year olds uncomfortably. They take a while to blow up then u have to also deflate them with a pump because of the valves. They also don't have a keel so you are always fighting them to turn or go straight . Don't expect to go,far in them and u will get a little wet.

The nice thing is they can fold the up. But, they are a lot of work prepping and handling.

3. wl7cpa

wl7cpa New Member

Never a blowup but I owned a Folbot. Very sturdy and take up little room. Some even have sails. Can find used on ebay or craigslist.

4. mellowyellow

mellowyellow New Member

I own a Sea Eagle 370. They have a keel, so they steer fairly straight. We don't have a carrier on our truck, so when we are camping with our camper we take the inflatables. The Sea Eagle inflates with a foot pump, which is pretty easy, but you can also inflate it with an electric pump. These things are huge! You should check them out - they are well made and more like boats than toys. We also own hard kayaks, and yes, the hard kayaks are faster and less effort, but if you want to get out in the water and can't bring hard kayaks the Sea Eagles are a good alternative. If you buy them, get a pro seats over the regular seats, and you'll be more comfortable. Oh, and they are fairly heavy, but fit in a large duffle bag. [ALPU]

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I have a cheap Intex Challenger K1 and really like it for what it is. Amazon has the singe,which is what I have for $65 right now or the double for $150.

https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Challenger-1-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00177J4JS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473077043&sr=8-2&keywords=Intex+kayak

I bought it to take to the beach one time rather than strapping my 11' hard kayak to the roof and having to deal with it all week. It works pretty good and is reasonable comfortable. It doesn't track the straightest, at least compared to my 11' recreational boat, but that's what makes it kind of fun for me. It turns easily so it makes it feel like a whitewater boat. If you are looking to cover lots of flat water, it probably wouldn't be best. Again, this is with the single, so the double may track better.

I like the inflatable for the fact that it's easier to transport and store while not being in use. But if I can take the real one, I much prefer it for paddling.

A coworker and his wife have an Advanced Elements double which they love. It costs about 3X what the intex does, but I'd say it's probably at least that much better for real use.

6. loweboat1000

loweboat1000 New Member

I did not buy a kayak but I did purchase a Seahawk 4. I placed a floor into it and with the optional engine mount I placed a 3.5hp motor on it. It does come with rod holders and oars in case you want to get out to your favorite fishing spot and get a little exercise also.

Attached Files:

7. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We have a Sea Eagle 370 with 2 pro seats that we bought used for $200, and 2 Sevylor tahiti k79 kayaks (1 used for $50, and 1 nearly new for $95). The Sea Eagle has permanently attached skegs to help it track straight. We bought skegs for the Sevylors off Amazon (~$15 each) and they really help.

As mellowyellow said, you can use the foot pump to inflate the kayaks; however, we like to use a dual-action hand pump because it is faster. (Our kids prefer the foot pump.)

The Sea Eagle kayak holds 2 adults and gear comfortably, and is very rugged. It is large and somewhat unwieldy for one of us to carry, but is easy for two people to manage. The Sevylors are made with thinner gauge vinyl, are a tight fit for two, and have cheap seats; HOWEVER, they work well for one person, are lighter, roll up smaller, and have an integral inflation gauge.

We opted for one double and two singles, because they give our family of 4 more options. Our 13 year old daughter likes to share a kayak, and our 15 year old son prefers to go it alone. Sometimes my DH and I like to kayak together; other times we'd rather go side by side. We also plan to get a sail kit to covert the 2 Sevylors into a kayakamaran (sailboatstogo.com).

We bought the inflatables because renting for multiple days got expensive. The inflatables are not as nimble as hard shell kayaks, and they do take about 10-15 minutes to set up. On the positive side, they fit in the trunk of the car (or the camper storage bin), and they can be less expensive.

Keep in mind that although the deflated kayaks may not take up much space, you will also have to pack the paddles and life jackets.

I apologize for the lengthy response. As a side note, we also have an inflatable sailboard/windsurf board -- it's a Windglider, and it is significantly smaller than a traditional sailboard. (It also gives a different sailboard experience... It's wider, has a smaller sail, and is slower.)

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I have sea eagle 420 and a 330. The 420 is a class 4 I think and can hold 800 lbs of people and gear. I use a lithium battery pump to initially inflate the kayak then finish it off with a foot pump cause the battery pump will not deliver high enough pressure. I carry the two (kayaks) and all the gear in an auto top carrier on my FJ (Thule Atlantis) I also bought a wheeled carrier for toting the inflated kayak and leaving all the airing up gear at camp. It works out well for puping and boating. The kayaks track well and does have an optional skeg/rudder that I can add but have never thought I needed to. I have had my kayaks for 5 or 6 years now and have never had a hole or leak in the 420. It is constructed out of the same military grade zodiak type material. Very strong. The 330 is more recreational and lighter in construction. Had one pin hole from a rock last year. The portability is what is most preferable for the inflatables but like the pup, requires more work than a conventional one.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also have the sea eagle 330. It is a nice boat that does have skegs to help you track. It is light and floats high in the water. With that said, wind can be a problem when out on the water. One bad freak wind storm blew me far far off course. So in my opinion great for rivers or lakes, but sure wouldn't trust it in the bay. You are also not going to be winning any races. It is very slow in relation to a hard side kayak. However it folds up into a duffle bag nicely and fairly easy to handle by yourself. To haul it to the water by myself, I utilized a plant stand rigged to the bottom of the kayak and was able to move it without scraping the bottom. Honestly since I've gotten a hard sided kayak I don't use the inflatable especially since I kayak on waters that usually occupy bigger boats and I need more speed and control than the 330 can provide.

10. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

We just bought an inflatable paddle board. Used it this weekend. Loved it.

11. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

We own a Sea Eagle also (with the upgraded seats). I like the fact that it all fits in a duffle bag, including the paddles and life jackets. We store ours in our camper so we have a boat anytime, anywhere. Our 80 lb dog enjoys riding in it also!

Attached Files:

12. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Can you not carry a kayak on the roof of your A-liner or RAV4?

13. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

Most who kayak have an aversion to inflatable boats. Check this video to see variations of rigging an inflatable for fishing or recreational use.

https://youtu.be/pRYLpyiYn_M

14. mellowyellow

mellowyellow New Member

The Aliner has hard plastic bubble windows on top, which prevents you from putting anything on top (would damage the windows). Therefore, you couldn't add a standard kayak rack. I'm sure somebody has come up with their own version of a rack, but I'm not familiar with any. [ALPU]

15. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

2" SCH80 PVC frame taller then the window?

16. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

We use one from advance elements, it's expensive but then again so is a roof rack and the hardware to carry the kayak.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

17. AshevilleNCpopup

AshevilleNCpopup New Member

The only thing I can say about a blow up Kayak is make sure you have a ruter underneath it. My brother in law and I got blow up kayaks for his bachelor party and he got a "nicer" one that was more expensive and I got one that was more practice for my budget. When we got them in the water he couldn't keep straight and when he rowed, it would spin in circles. We had to tie his to mine and ride together pulling it behind us.