Does anyone have to make their own camping stickers?

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
This seems to be a fading interest with campgrounds. :( When I was a kid, we had a sticker from all of the places that we camped at, and my father had them on a ladder-like sign that he hung at our site. Now, it seems noone has the stickers anymore, so, I'm considering printing out graphics from the campground's website and making my own sticker.

Anyone else been in this predicament? Man these moments make me feel old LOL

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I guess a lot of places got away from doing that. I found quite a few online for places I've visited and either they didn't have a sticker or I forgot to get one. I put them on my cargo box or the door of the camper.
thumbnail_IMG_6939.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4621.jpg

SHAMELESS PLUG: Don't forget, you can PopUpPortal stickers and stuff on our Cafepess store: https://www.cafepress.com/popupportal

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
Very nice!! Yeah, I checked the 2 places online and they don't have stickers, thus my gripe :(

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
When I was a teen I collected stickers all the time. Mom absolutely refused to let me use them on anything but paper so I put the stickers on paper and stuck the paper to my windows. That was until she tore them all down when I was at school and threw them away. Sadly I stopped collecting stickers after that. Your right though I don't see too many stickers at campgrounds and the only ones I do see are for the Appalachian trail. Heck you don't see those collectable spoons or other small nick nacks that used to be common a long time back either. Never thought about making my own. I wouldn't know how cost effective that is. At least the campgrounds could pay bulk price so we only paid cents for the sticker itself. Err probably a dollar now.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
When I was a teen I collected stickers all the time. Mom absolutely refused to let me use them on anything but paper so I put the stickers on paper and stuck the paper to my windows. That was until she tore them all down when I was at school and threw them away. Sadly I stopped collecting stickers after that. Your right though I don't see too many stickers at campgrounds and the only ones I do see are for the Appalachian trail. Heck you don't see those collectable spoons or other small nick nacks that used to be common a long time back either. Never thought about making my own. I wouldn't know how cost effective that is. At least the campgrounds could pay bulk price so we only paid cents for the sticker itself. Err probably a dollar now.
I had steeckers all over the back of our teardrop and I was on the fence about putting any on the Aliner. So I didn't get any at all for over a year. Then over the 4th of July trip up to Mt Pisgah I was looking at the back of my buddy's teardrop, at his collection of steeckers, and I broke. I went up to the Inn across the BRP from the campground and bought a Mt Pisgah and a BRP steecker.
Then when I got home I ordered steeckers off Amazon for all the places we'd camped in the Aliner. We'd spent 98 days camping in it over 13 months. And, dammit, it needs to be chronicled. In steeckers.

0707190912_Film2.jpg

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
We have a sticker collection on the side of our camper, and it's doing fine :) In fact, it seems that stickers are more available now than say 5 years ago. Minnesota State Parks, for example, now have a selection of stickers at most parks, where they never used to.

For us, it's about the trip, not necessarily the campground. So if we do an activity while part of a camping trip, that's fair game for a sticker. So, for example, we didn't camp at Wall Drug, but it was part of our Black Hills camping trip. Last month we camped at a private campground in Door County, WI which didn't have stickers, but many of the attractions we saw did, so we chose a couple.

I try to keep it to one or two stickers per trip for space reasons, but some of our more major trips I've gone more if they warrant it.

There are a lot of trips not represented here too, but it does tend to show our most major trips since we started doing this maybe 5 years ago.

IMG_4448.jpg

Last edited:

rlongfield

Mar 20, 2017
This seems to be a fading interest with campgrounds. :( When I was a kid, we had a sticker from all of the places that we camped at, and my father had them on a ladder-like sign that he hung at our site. Now, it seems noone has the stickers anymore, so, I'm considering printing out graphics from the campground's website and making my own sticker.

Anyone else been in this predicament? Man these moments make me feel old LOL
Ontario provincial parks came out with new stickers a few years back. They also developed a passport book with a page for each provincial park with a spot for a sticker. If that wasn’t bad enough they made matching badges too for those of us with campfire blankets.

They saw me coming and knew I’d buy 2 stickers (one for the trailer and one for the book) and 4 badges. :)

Wakita46

Mar 15, 2013
I've been to almost 150 campgrounds so I don't know where I would put that many. I did get maps of the US and Canada from Campers World that I could put states and provinces on. That was fun.

rlongfield

Mar 20, 2017
So I think the real question is, How does one make their own camping stickers for those places that don't have one?

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
So I think the real question is, How does one make their own camping stickers for those places that don't have one?
You can save, or screenshot, the graphic from the campground's website. From there, you can either use sticker paper that you can buy for your printer, and print them, or, you can print out the image, and tape over it onto what ever you plan to apply it to.

tfischer

Short answer is no. Long answer is that we don't camp that many places that don't have them... since we buy stickers by "the trip" and not "the campground", and just about everywhere has a little kitsch shop that sells stickers of that location. I suppose that's not true if you always camp in national forests and such and never go into town...

Last edited:

tfischer

We ended up switching over to magnets and the hiking stick medallions. I guess things evolve.

Funny thing... the camper has nothing metal to apply magnets to. Even the fridge is something non-ferrous.

The one thing I see in some places is patches. I guess that comes from the scouting world, that sadly I was never part of and it didn't work out for my boys to be in either. But otherwise I'm not sure what you do with a patch...

But again, I've seen absolutely no shortage of little stickers where we go.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Right, I am seeing magnates , no stickers. But this change was about the time covid hit. Some places didn't order stuff as they were closed, others may have just said its easier not to sell stuff. Then the supply chian crap, its ordered but we have no clue when it will get here. Hell, even disney had 0 stickers or magnates. So.......

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Funny thing... the camper has nothing metal to apply magnets to. Even the fridge is something non-ferrous.

The one thing I see in some places is patches. I guess that comes from the scouting world, that sadly I was never part of and it didn't work out for my boys to be in either. But otherwise I'm not sure what you do with a patch...

But again, I've seen absolutely no shortage of little stickers where we go.
My friend that has a Storyteller Beast Mode van has a big fuzzy velcro mat and attaches patches to it much like you would a field of steeckers. I've seen quite a few others doing that as well.
I've got molle panels on my seat backs in the truck and they have some velcro real estate with a couple of patches.

Latest posts