Does the novelty wear off?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by splashback, Aug 24, 2010.

1. splashback

splashback New Member

I bought by first pup about 6 months ago. It is a brand new Jayco 806.
    We love it so far. I am just a little worried that the novelty will wear off for the wife and kids.
    Has this happened to any of you?

2. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Just me and the DW...bought the PUP after the kids left the nest. We camp some place every other weekend to recharge our batteries and for change of scenery. It is what gets us through the two weeks prior to our next trip! The thought of just getting away...especially going some place new or have not visited in a long time. We do not camp during the winter so for those three months we get anxious for spring to arrive...LOL

3. H and T in WV

H and T in WV New Member

We have only had ours for two summers, but it feels just as exciting as the first time every time that we go! Our kids are little (3 and 5) so they get really excited, even if we just pop it in the yard. I hope that your family feels the same as ours.
    DW- Heather

4. campsalotcilla

campsalotcilla New Member

We have been camping in a pup for 15 years and we still LOVE it!! We look forward to each camping trip!! So the answer would be no the novelty does not wear off. The good thing is you are introducing your kids to the experience of camping and the great outdoors that will stay with them forever and hopefully they will pass along to their children!

5. spotfan

spotfan Virginia

We also got our pup after kids were grown...who had money while they were at home? We did however upgrade this year to a pup that was much bigger so if they wanted to stay with us we would all fit, especially the grandbaby. We haven't been at all since November last year but husband has a new job so he'll be off weekends now so I am looking forward to many trips before we pup it away after first week of November.
    I don't think it ever truely wears off...I still like having it up and just sitting in it in the driveway. To me its very relaxing. Love it! :)

6. JoeCamper

JoeCamper Eastern, Pennsylvania

I bought a 1984 Coleman Columbia and then upgraded to a 2000 Coleman Westlake, now looking at a 2010. We camp about 12 to 15 times each year and love it. My daughter is 12 yr old and gets more involved each year. She has started cooking over the last 2 years, invites her firiends and loving the bikes, kayaks, geocaching and other things we do related to camping and the outdoors. They ask me "when are we going again" and its a great feeling.

7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

We are in a first year of ownership with our 12ft 625d monster. We have a 2 year old daughter and a 5 year old black lab. Days are breakfast, playground, swim, lunch, take the dog swimming, and then an ice cream run.
    I doubt the novely will wear off for a ong time [:D]

8. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

My kids are teens and tweens, and they love camping as much as they did when we started 4 years ago.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've been camping for over 50 years (last three in a PUP) and the novelty has never worn off. DW is less enthusiastic, however. She was never very excited about tent camping but finds the PUP to be OK. We just got back from a 10-day trip where she said several times that if we had been in a tent she would have wanted to go home.

10. Manper

Manper New Member

It all depends on your outlook

11. sue548l

sue548l New Member

Not for me and DH. My first camping trip was at 6 weeks old. DH's was our honeymoon. Done it all from tent, to pickup camper to travel trailer. Our pup is new to us and we've only been able to do camp backyard but camping will never wear off for either of us.

12. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We are three summers into our pup camping experience, and each trip we like the pup better than the trip before.

13. Oski88

Oski88 New Member

Are you as excited about s*x now as you used to be? Just kidding :)

We are coming down the home stretch of season 2 in our pup. The wife and I still love it. Every time we hear the heater kick in or the wife turns on hot running water we smile. We still talk about how we would never go back to tent camping.

And the kids are just as excited as ever about it, too.

We returned from a 3 night trip to the coast a week ago Monday. We hadn't been home more than 30 minutes. I was unloading and cleaning the pup in terrible heat. DD comes outside (into the heat) to tell me "I want to go camping in the pup." I say "We just got back from camping." She says, "I know, but I love it. I want to go again."

Two nights ago I was putting DS to bed and we had the following exchange, completely initiated by DS:
    "Dad, I love the pup."
    "Why?"
    "We (the family) go camping together in it and it (pup) keeps me warm at night."

14. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

My family loves the pup. Had the granddaughter out in it a 1 and the son and daughter-inlaw got there own camper and go with us sometimes and on there own. We love getting away and spending time with friends and alone. We have had it 3 years. I have being camping since i 3 in my grandfathers pop-up and then boy scouts. Just love the outdoors.

15. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

DH and I are still excited, and this is our 5th summer with the pup. Usually it's just the 2 of us, and we look forward to getting away and just being together. We camped in a borrowed tent camper on our honeymoon, and the marriage has lasted almost 40 years--I think we'll be pup campers for a while!

16. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

We've only had our pup for 2 seasons, but we still look forward to getting out in it as much as the first time. I'm probably more into it than my husband is, and I'm always looking forward to and planning the next camping trip as soon as we get home from the last one. We've been camping just about every other weekend since May, sometimes just the 2 of us (and Lucy, our dog), and sometimes with family members. We like to go to a different campground every time, so there is always something new to see and explore. So, at this point, I can't imagine ever getting tired of it.

17. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

No, the sense of adventure never wears off. I'll grant you, I don't do 'camp backyard' anymore, but I never get tired of heading out for a weekend with the family.

As for the rest of the gang? Usually about early April, my oldest daughter starts asking when we're getting the PUP out of storage and when we are going for the first time. She's 14.

18. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Four pop ups - with the family and later as empty nesters, more than 20 years. We've never lost our enthusiasm for it. [:D]

19. toppopr

toppopr New Member

Camped in a Skamper with the neighbors as a kid (1960s), used the outlaw's Krown in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Finally bought our own in 2002. The novelty does not wear off. There are few more versatile ways to travel, and nothing like camping in a rustic CG with secluded spots in cool weather. Unzip the windows and enjoy the fresh air! Last week on our annual trip to the Smokies the TV decided it wanted to visit a dealership for engine repairs 150 miles into the 600 mile drive. Had three choices, spend a week in Ohio (NOT), leave everything at the dealership, rent a car and find a hotel or rent a U-Haul and take the pup (most expensive, week long rentals aren't cheap). Third option won out. It would not have been the same without the pup.

20. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Just got back from Great Basin NP in Nevada. Already, we are planning our next trip. We have been PUP campers for two years.