Does this count as boondocking?

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
Lid still looks functional. It’s questionable for sure. I vote yes it’s a boondock due to the lid being slightly askew.

Hope you enjoyed Hart Mtn and saw lots of Pronghorn, A.K.A. Antelope.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Haven't used one quite that open, but have with only a couple of walls.I told Courtenay I wasn't all that at ease with having to use a vault potty at the river level camping area in Grand Canyon last month, with COVID and the impossibility of it being cleaned even daily. He assured me it was not a closed space, no roof and 3 walls

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
I mean, that's pretty basic to me, no apparent running water aside from any in drainages. That whole area out there is beautiful! On a solid note, that crapper has a view.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
I was informed sometime ago that if there were facilities it wasn't boondocking. That said as long as there aren't facilities not in the picture I'm going to call it boondocking. Bring along a popup shelter and make it high class boondocking.

Arruba

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 28, 2014
Central Oregon
Incredible place Hart Mtn but the roads are tough on a camper.

Yeah those roads are something else, literally...

Last time I went, I came in from the Catlow Valley, (east) side. The washboards were so bad the top shook hard enough to start messing up the weatherstripping. I ended up using a couple ratchet straps to hold it tighter. I hope you faired better.

stierheim

Apr 22, 2013
LOL. There are plenty of those on the Appalachian Trail. I remember one in particular, I think it was in North Carolina. The trail was high on the mountain and on an outcropping which dropped off into the valley below was the platform. The view while doing your business was absolutely magnificent.

BigAl

Gold Supporting Member
May 22, 2019
Wisconsin
I've used those in the Boundary Waters in MN and in Sylvania Wilderness in MI's UP, but both required a canoe to get to them so no camper. I'd call that boondocking.