Does this look bad or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by TravelingAggie, Jan 10, 2020.

1. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie New Member

So ive installed some swagman crossbars on top of my PUP using the factory tracks that were on top of the camper (See attached picture). I was able to do it without drilling into the roof (My goal) but now im looking at bike carriers to put on top of the crossbars. In this video (5:45 mark), they show a test of how the system performs on the road. Im worried about all the side to side movement when the camper goes down the road and it messing with the integrity of the roof. I realize that this is a cheaper bike rack but im trying to do this on a budget. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t worry about it. I doubt much, if any, of the movement would translate all the way to the roof. You could always add some extra straps to the sides if you wanted to add another layer.

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

That is somewhat inherent if a frame clamp design. It you want to get rid if side to side motion get a fork mount tray. Or the ultimate 1Up tray (itll blow your budget though)

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I use the Swagman with the frame arm bike rack on my Bayside, and the roof of the Explorer(s) and never had a problem. I trust it to hold my mountain bike and my $3000.00 road bike.

akriot likes this.
  5. TravelingAggie

Well I watched a few videos for a couple of different manufacturers of this type of rack and it looks like they all do that side to side motion.

6. TravelingAggie

Glad to know someone else has used this rack with good results!

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I’ve driven thousands of miles with racks like this an a couple of bikes. They sway slightly but never enough to make you think they are coming off.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I'm with you. Sway of the rack that is attached to a wood roof? You would think it would weaken the attachment points. Movement on a car steel roof, not an issue because steel can flex without an issue..