Does this look right? Checklist for Goshen lift system cleaning and lubrication

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Sweet Chariot, Feb 9, 2010.

1. paulwojo

paulwojo Member

I actually called Viking after I bought my camper and asked about maintenance for the lift system. They told me there was none required. I have taken a quick look under it here and there and never saw any grease fittings. I do use silicone spray on the lift posts every year and the slides for the bunks but that's it. Its a 2006 model and have had no issues so far.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Dealer told me that on later model Flagstaff/Rockwood trailers, the little hole in the spring tube has been removed. He was right. He told me if the little hole was no longer there, to remove the two bolts holding the tube to the trailer, lower the tube down far enough to get the end of an oil can in there and then squirt some oil into the tube. The only place the spring really needs lubricating is where it makes that 90 bend up, inside the tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

4. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

On Goshen's diagram in my manual... On the diagram it says to "Grease Zerks on Front Bottom & back Top of Master Tube."
    I was only able to locate one zerk at the front of the trailer.... the diagram only points to one spot on the diagram. I greased it... but I am worried I've missed another zerk or possibly two from the aformentioned instructions. Can anyone tell me... is there more zerks? At the back of the trailer there is my 23 gal fresh water tank... if there are more zerks could they be under it? If so how does one get to them?

5. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I'm all ears on this one.....hope someone answers....with pictures non the less.....thanks.

6. Joe5978

Joe5978 New Member

I had the same problem

7. Doug J

Doug J New Member

Does it make a difference whether the top is up or down when the grease is applied. Hope not because it did it with top up.

8. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

Typically, you do it while the top is down. However, done is done. All the recommendations I have read say top down.

9. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

I had the same problem but had already tried it the other way first. This thread has some pictures - http://www.popupportal.com/threads/new-pop-up.120977/.

However, mine looks more like this on the outside - but the process is the same. 20190527_113844.jpg 20190527_113832.jpg

Once you pull the two screws, it pulls down. Just make sure you plug the holes before putting in the oil, reattach the spring tubes, raise and lower the top a couple of times and then unplug the holes. Be prepared for a dripping.

Also, while the pictures are missing, this is also a good thread to read - http://www.popupportal.com/threads/lift-system-lubrication.112651/

BikeNFish is a great help. If you need more information or pictures, you might check with him.

This is another thread that might help you understand how it all fits together - http://www.popupportal.com/threads/dissecting-the-telescoping-posts.110724/#post-1119505

And some more information can be gleaned from here - http://www.popupportal.com/threads/lift-system-lubrication.112651/#post-1137705

10. Doug J

Doug J New Member

Thank you. I put the top down and greased again (used a whole tube). Seems to life better.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

No need to grease again. The springs fill the tubes where the grease fitting are when the top is down. You just filled up the empty tubes. The grease will squish around the springs when you lower the top.

12. Doug J

Doug J New Member

Oh Great! My fat stomach, doesn't like to slide under there very well. Thanks!

13. Joe5978

Joe5978 New Member

14. Heitman

Heitman New Member

Ken1967, were you ever able to reach the rear zerk? I'm having the same problem with the water tank completely blocking it. I can barely see it but can't even touch it, let alone reach it with the grease gun. Seems like a terrible design, just wondering if you found a solution.