Does this sail switch look okay?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by samwise, Jun 7, 2019.

1. samwise

samwise New Member

I'm servicing our Atwood 7916-ii heater to treat a mystery problem. The RV dealership gave me a replacement sail switch (see unplugged switch in picture). And it has a much smaller "sail" than the original (plugged-in one in picture). Has anyone replaced this before? Does the new one look adequate? I'm worried it won't have the full strength to close.
    IMG_2266.jpeg

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Does the old switch test good with a multi-meter? If it does, it's no need to add an unproven component that can cause a problem.

Raycfe likes this.
  3. CoolCanuck

CoolCanuck Member

I bought a new one as part of a "Kit" late last year. Looks just like your new one.
    I tested the old sail switch whilst having the heater out and replacing a bunch of other stuff (mine had had no visible maintenance from the previous owners) and the switch tested OK. I will therefore keep the "new" one as a spare.

My thinking re the size of the sail must be similar to yours- the old one would most likely deflect easier due to the larger sail area. If I would have to change it out, I would swap the "sails" between them.