Doesn't every camper bring along Spam for breakfast?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Thox Spuddy, Apr 3, 2020.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I know both Kroger and Walmart have their own brand of knockoff Spam.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

3. Sjm9911

Oh, my armageddon shelf, with caned canned processed meats. The luncheon meat is in the backround. Some cans of Chile have been cannibalized for hot dogs. 20200312_184849.jpg

neighbormike likes this.
  4. Karen Gay

Karen Gay New Member

My hubs LOVES Spam, but it’s a special “Treet” when he gets it (for those of you who are uninitiated, Treet is a Spam knockoff). I’ve discovered that you can sometimes find it for sale in single serving packs, so I buy it and put it in his Christmas stocking ! He’s not big on camping, so Spam might be a good enticement!

5. stacey short

stacey short Member

I haven't ate any recently. I was talking to my husband about keeping some kind of can goods in the camper so we don't have to get to the grocery store as soon as we arrive.

6. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Spam wasn't what we ate where I grew up.
    Scrapple was our breakfast meat. How many of you know what it is? Better yet who has eaten it?

7. Lynnie C

Lynnie C New Member

If you ever get a chance, you have to visit the Spam Museum! They recently remodeled it, and I haven’t been to the new one, but the old one was a HOOT! Not only a lot of regular museum quality information, but some funky fun stuff like being able to pose for pictures in a Spam workers uniform, and a game of trying to beat the Spam assembly line using felt mockups! We went as a joke, but loved it so much can’t wait to see the new one! (And we also found out during the trip that as one ages, Spam can have a unforeseen effect on the body. We had a Spam cook-off for supper, which was also a lot of fun, but late in the evening our camping group had an unforeseen meeting in the campground restrooms. All that Spam did NOT agree with our intestinal tracts! :rolleyes:)

Milemaker13 and neighbormike like this.
  8. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

I have honestly only eaten Spam once...and I threw up 30 minutes later. I was 15 and we were backpacking on the first 40 miles of the Appalachian Trail. A guy in our group brought a can and he opened it one night and passed out slices. It did not sit well with me and I threw up 30 minutes after eating it. And I have a strong stomach. I am born and raised in Louisiana and I have eaten crawfish by the thousands, alligator, turtle, etc.

9. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Both of my parents served in the RCAF during WWII, so they both had a history with Spam. I remember eating Spam as a kid, but only on camping trips. Dad always fried it up for breakfast on our first fishing trip of the season and a couple of times on each camping trip.
    I don’t ever recall Mom eating Spam. I don’t know if that was because she wasn’t a breakfast eater—or that we never had it for lunch or supper because she didn’t like it. Maybe she was just a bit of a food snob...
    In hindsight, I think that Dad appreciated Spam, because his life during the Depression was more challenging than that of my Mom’s. He was on his own from the age of 14. For him, Spam was a treat—comfort food, even. Perhaps it was a nostalgic look at the camaraderie of his Air Force days.
    I must admit that I'm a little hesitant to try it now, because I don’t want to spoil my memories of Dad’s camp breakfasts. At any rate, it’s going on my shopping list. Who knows? It might just sit in my pantry until our Fire Fighters’ fall Food Drive...

neighbormike likes this.
  10. nt40lanman

nt40lanman Member

I like a good spam/mayo sandwich!! I try not to eat it too often because of the salt and fat. I always keep a few cans "just in case".

Spam is marketed as "shoulder pork and ham"... spam. Scrapple is just all the nasty bits :p

11. nt40lanman

nt40lanman Member

Maybe next time I'll boil it before frying it...

12. Hazmatr

Hazmatr New Member

Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam! [LOL] Usually we fry up maple bacon when camping. BACON! BACON! Leftover bacon is delicious, can't say the same for cold spam.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The only time I ate SPAM is when we were backpacking. SPAM and Ritz crackers. It was for lunch. It was good, but then again when you are backpacking just about everything tastes good!! Also, good source of protein!

14. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Strawhouse likes this.
  15. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I hadn't eaten SPAM in many years until a couple of months back. My son and I were shopping at Aldi where they carry a Spam knockoff and he was making fun of the "fake ass can of fake ass canned ham", so I bought a can. I was the only one to eat it, and I actually enjoyed it.

And now with what's going on in the world, and the possibility of food shortages, there are 3 cans in my pantry, along with 3 cans of canned chicken, and 2 cans of canned roast beef, something I've never eaten before. I also have a can of sardines in there, again I hadn't eaten them in years. But I read a story a few years ago about the last US cannery closing, and about how many canneries there once were in the US. Since then I eat a can now and then. Both sardines and Spam were once the major lunch staple in the American workers lunch box, then processed meats came along.

Anybody my age who grew up poor might remember when (before Food Stamps) the USDA gave out the free food, cheese, peanut butter, butter, corn syrup, powered milk, etc. They gave out a canned ham product similar to Spam, they also gave out canned pork, and that was actually very good, I think if it were available I''d give it a try now, totally put some in the pantry for the current situation.

What you bet when that food shortage occurs, they'll eat the Spam and other canned meats, and like it.

Good day everyone.

16. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

I have similar childhood memories of disgusting spam until my wife (a Filipina) cooked it with white vinegar. It was tangy/tart and a little salty- we probably eat it 5-6 times a year at home or camping. Along with rice - it’s a simple and easy meal - however the exhaust fan will be on high whenever it’s being cooked.

17. DandLBack

DandLBack New Member

I am familiar with SPAM, had it as a kid, and keep several cans in our reserve pantry for emergencies.
    Didn't think about bringing it camping. Will have to do that this summer.

18. Sjm9911

I have scapple in my fridge now, lol. Its more of a Philadelphia thing.

19. debbyinkc3

debbyinkc3 New Member

I forget about it a lot of the time, but usually take it camping with this as a quick lunch or breakfast that doesn't have to be refrigerated. We are retired military and when we were stationed in Germany we always had to have 3 days worth of clothes food and water stashed away as an emergency evacuation kit. Spam was always included in our emergency kit as a canned meat that could be eaten without cooking or refrigeration.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. rover rob

rover rob New Member

that cheese would bind you up so bad you didn't need TP for a week. it would come in useful with all the hoarding going on. and the powered milk gave me the hives. you forgot to mention the powdered eggs.