Doesn't every camper bring along Spam for breakfast?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Thox Spuddy, Apr 3, 2020.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh I LOVE Spam and eggs. I've left Spam off the list for too long. I'm re-adding it now

Econ, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Maybe bring it along though probably not for breakfast. In my formative years among other concoctions, it got diced along with spuds, a little onion, maybe a pepper and scrambled with eggs; basic rancher hash. My Dad used to slice it kinda thin and cook it in a pan or on a stick like a hotdog. He’d melt a slice of Velveta cheese on it for sandwiches. My crazy uncle/cousin mentioned in the Camping with Family thread always kept it on hand. He used it to make lots of stuff. IMO his best was Pork Fried Rice and if it was cold, he’d build a fire and cook it in tin foil with some vegetables and a dousing of Lee & Perrins. We’d eat it with a side of Pork & Beans.

Thinking back on all that and the times when it occurred, I’m a bit amazed I turned out as well as I did.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  3. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@DiamondGirl
    We have discovered Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard. No bad ingredients. No Carb. Covers up the taste of foods that are good for you but need a little bit of help going down like liver, sardines, cod liver.<gg>

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

What's wrong with Pasta and Wheat? A good chunk of my pantry (more stocked than usual since the start of covid) is pastas, canned tomato, and flour. Mostly, I make my own pasta, and can do so with just Flour, Water, and Salt.

It's not set up as emergency supplies, per se - the goal was to avoid going to the grocery store for a month at a time. The chest freezer is full with meat and frozen vegetables.

So, I'm definitely fine for a "small e" emergency, where I just don't go out for a couple of weeks, or where we are without power or water for less than a week.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

Coffee and Spam. A major food group perfect for popup camping.

Sjm9911, Econ and DiamondGirl like this.
  6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

@Econ… I actually LOVE liver and onions. But I am the only person in my household. My grandma always made it. She also had sardines, potted meat and Vienna sausages too. So I’m no stranger to those either. I kind of think it was from surviving the depression.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

JimmyM, Susan Premo and Econ like this.
  7. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

I am eating it strictly for nutrition. The only person who knew how to cook liver closed his restaurant several years ago and I cant find him. It is now eaten almost raw. It spends about 20 seconds on each side in the frying pan. The rawer it is the better the taste.<GG>>

Sardines and cod liver is an acquired taste that I'm still acquiring.<<GG>>

Since 2016 I have been studying nutrition and weight loss. For starters, wheat and flour and processed foods are the main reasons for the obesity epidemic we have now. The foods are engineered to get you to a bliss point where you cant stop eating. Add processed seed oil, aka vegetable oil, and you have the main ingredients that have been keeping cardiologists rich since the Egyptians invented farming 13,000 years ago. Einkorn wheat was bred by the Egyptians because Egypt is subject to droughts and wheat can be stored for years. Citizens with full bellies dont overthrow you. Ask Richard Nixon. He understood that.

By the way. in 5 to 10 years you wont be taking statins. They found a new scam. They have developed a drug that will reduce triglycerides they will switch you to. The statin enemies will agree that triglycerides need to be reduced and the anti statin message is getting out.

neighbormike and DiamondGirl like this.
  8. F. Jake Glotz

F. Jake Glotz New Member

For those who like Spam, myself included, you should try Scrapple. It is a Pennsylvania Dutch pork product that fries up in a pan and is delicious. I never see it here in Idaho, but if in the mid Atlantic states, look for it.

Econ and DiamondGirl like this.
  9. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

[email protected] Active Member

We always have SPAM in home pantry and in camper.

Sweetpea and DiamondGirl like this.
  10. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

We have cooked and then froze bacon for camping, we like spam too, they sell it by the 4 pack at Sam's club, canned white chicken to make chicken a la king, I had spam the first time about 35 years ago, I had a bad cold, I thought spam was excellent!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  11. JimmyM

Me too. Love liver and onions. Haven't had it in years though. If we're ever at the same rally, we're having a liver and onion night!

Sweetpea and DiamondGirl like this.
  12. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

@JimmyM… I used to get a liver and onion sandwich at the deli for lunch. It was liver and onion pate’ on a toasted bun. Totally delicious. Grossed out my coworkers. I loved it. Next time I shop for groceries, I’ll pick up some liver and make some. Can’t wait to retire so I can travel to the rally’s.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

13. Timmy V

Timmy V Member

I’ll take scrapple over spam any day. Spam’s too salty for me. Scrapple? Very tasty. Anyone who likes liver should like it. I have to admit it took me a few tries, then I couldn’t get enough of it. First had it on the eastern shore of Maryland many years ago.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

They have low sodium spam, that's what I buy, and I like liver and onions with bacon!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  15. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Usually bring it. Seldom use it. It's a "Just in case people get hungry" item.

Also, in response to "Mess free cooking": HAHAHAHAHAHA. (Unless you don't consider grease splattered everywhere to be a mess).

DiamondGirl likes this.
  16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Dw makes about 5 loafs about every year. She makes the western PA version of scraple.

Spam, we bought it several times. Most of the times it ages out of date and we never use it. We stop buying it.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

To answer the title of this thread. NO. I cannot express how much I dislike SPAM. Although my wife loves the stuff...

18. JimmyM

I've tried scrapple a few times. I've found it gritty. Is there such a thing as "smoother" scrapple

DiamondGirl likes this.
  19. Timmy V

Timmy V Member

I’ve never had gritty scrapple but cornmeal is one of the main ingredients so maybe that had something to do with it. It’s weird because the *mushy* texture is what usually turns people off, so most folks slice it really thin to get a crispy crust on it. I get Rapa brand (the only kind we can get around here).

DiamondGirl likes this.
  20. JimmyM

I'm told it's a regional thing and not a single recipe. A friend in the Philly area tells me the scrapple he has isn't gritty. Perhaps I'll try it again.
    I like this thread! Liver, Spam, and now Scrapple... BACK ON THE MENU!

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.