Dog Fence at Campsite

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by tbond, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tbond

tbond Gig'Em Aggies!

My DH and I have three 4-legged kids that we like to take camping with us. They are decent sized dogs: an 80 lb lab mix, a 40 lb border collie, and a 35 lb PBGV. My problem is this..... We like to sit outside under the awning when the weather permits. If we stake the dogs out away from us they start to whine. If we stake them close to us they get tangled in the awning poles, our chairs, each other, etc. The DH and I were talking about constructing a portable "fence" made of PVC and ropes around the awning area in order to contain the dogs while we were outside. I was wondering if anyone has attempted this before or if we would get into trouble doing this. We are new to camping and haven't seen any rules at state parks against this.. I was just wondering and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

2. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

As long as the dogs are confined in your area, this should not be a problem. I have seen this several times at camp grounds. We only have one dog and she is getting old so just stays with us.

3. wardog

wardog Member

I have not seen anyone at a campsite with a fence but I have seen some pics on the PUP of people that are using them.

4. Pam51

Pam51 New Member

Please let us know if you do try it and how it works. I also have 2 dogs and know tangling leashes are going to be a problem when they go with us for the first time, so I'd love to know if it works.

5. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

you might look at some of the gated systems they have for kids to keep them in areas........i know i bought one for $50 at walmart for my daughter to play in when she was a baby and it would make a perfect "dog pen".... you can add as many sections as you want...in fact, i am thinking of taking it with me the next trip as a way to keep her from running into the street( put it at the end of our awning like a fence)........well not really but you know what i mean.........SCmomma

ps.......i will try to go to walmart.com and post a link to it so you can see what i am talking about........

ok......here it is.....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8457890

.the nice thing is you can add on til it is a square and it folds like an accordian to store.........i currently have mine around the fireplace to keep her off it.......it can be used many places for dogs and/or kids

6. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

We always fence in our campsite for the babies.... they are just little ones, so we use 2 foot vinyl coated fencing and steel poles. Works great for them. Here's a picture... I left it kinda big so you could see it. It takes the guys about ten minutes to set it up.

[​IMG][/img]

7. Pam51

Pam51 New Member

I really like the idea of the fence, but it would need to surround where we sit. The dogs would not be happy if they are not next to us and would bark because of it. One of the dogs is a Westie and he is short enough that he could go under the camper if I only had a fence in the front. I know from experience that he can flatten himself out to get under things. We have a pressure baby gate on the door of the room where we keep the cat's food to keep the dogs out of it and leave the gate up off the floor so the cats can go under it. After we got our Westie (he's a year old), we found that if the gate is more than 4 inches off the floor, he can also get under it. So, I would need to fence in the front of the camper and figure out a way to stop him from going underneath by the door, since I could only put the fence on either side of the door and not block it. Or, maybe we could figure out something like a skirting across the front of the camper to stop him from going under it. Then Iwould only need to fence the sides and front.

How long does it take you to put up the yard fence? I'd like the portable one from Wal-Mart, but I think I would need several of them to make the area large enough. That would get expensive and also take up a lot of space to haul around.

8. tbond

tbond Gig'Em Aggies!

We considered wooden lattice (the stuff used to grow vines) to put under the camper. It is relatively cheap and easy to cut to size.

9. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

that sounds like a good idea to me........you could use lattice at least to block off the underside of the camper and do something to fence in the rest of the area..........lattice is lightweight too........

my beasties will find a way after a while to get out of anywhere you put them......my dog currently jumps the baby gates........sometimes a smart dog is a pain in the head!!

10. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

Have you ever thought of trying a portable electronic barrier like the "Perimeter WIFI Dog Fence System"? There are some new wire free ones that cover 10 feet to 2.5 acres. They are a little pricie but can be used anywhere.

Our vet uses one for the area behind her clinic so her two dogs can exercise during the day.

11. tbond

tbond Gig'Em Aggies!

The DH and I talked about one, but they are anywhere from 250 to 400 dollars. We also have a dog with a heart condition and the shock could aggravate the condition. We also considered that other people would not know the boundaries and if they walked within the perimeter then the dogs could run up to them. (Most people don't like an 80# dog running at them even if they are friendly)......