Dog food

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by beemerboy, May 13, 2009.

1. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

When you bring your four footed fur kid camping how do you bring the dog food?

For a weekend trip I usually measure out single servings into ziploc bags, if I am going to be gone for a couple of weeks I have a pail with a screw on lid called a pet food vault that I got at Petco.

2. daddyzgrl1

daddyzgrl1 I'd rather be camping!!!

That works, I generally use the zip lock method myself.

3. DelorFamily

DelorFamily Member

I use large (1 gallon size) ziplock bags. I also bring the measuring cup from home. Although our schedule can get out a whack during a camping trip (late lunch, early dinners, etc..) I try to keep our dogs schedule the same. This helps in keeping the late night "dog walks" to a minimum.

4. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

we bring the travelpak bowls and ziploc bags measured out.... works great and the dog does not over eat...!

5. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

We use a gallon jug with a screw on lid.

6. Crackshot

Crackshot New Member

I just bring a new bag and leave in cargo hold.

7. KatPrincess

KatPrincess I like it to still be mooin'!

No matter where we go we take an empty coffee can, the Maxwell House one is plastic with a handle, fill it with kibble. ...its easy to pour and the food stays fresh. We do the same with water and we keep extra dog dishes in the camper or car.

8. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

KatPrincess ~ That's what I have for dog food, too. Works out really well.

9. hanson1522

hanson1522 Belleville, IL

We use gallon ziploc freezer bags as well. Bring a measuring cup, of course! Don't want the doggies getting chubby on their trip! We also have stainless steel bowls that stay in the pup for the pups. [:D]

10. traindude

traindude ORYGUN

The wife found this thing on clearance. Comes with bowels and has storage under the lid for food and comes in its own case with pockets on the outside.

11. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

We use a plastic bucket - I think it came from Sam's full of bubblegum for Halloween one year. The bucket can hold enough for both dogs and their bowls for a 2-3 day trip. Longer trips require a surplus carrier.

12. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

Camping with dogs and dog food. Many animals like the raccoon and coatimunda in Arizona lends a different edge to how to pack dog food. Dog food has an odor, the coon and the coati are steath hunters with the coati being top of the list. They hunt in groups of 2 to 24 or better, you can hear them making there advance and it is eirey. They chitter/chatter, there means of communicating, one will advance and give notice to others, the one on the point will stop and another will advance. They come from every angle. Feed your dog, than secure the food. The coati is not dangerous, but like the coon it carries rabies. Once you get to your CG the know you are there and will look for any opportunity to invade. I always had a high power mag light, would spot the intruder and he would retreat, within minutes another would be coming from another direction. They are the Green Berets of the animal kingdom.

13. aminyard

aminyard New Member

I have found these to be priceless:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0025719614258a.shtml

It has a cover for the food when the dog is done.

14. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

My mutt won't eat the same dog food day in and day out, but she will eat the same stuff for 2-3 days in a row. At home we rotate between a dry food and a semi moist packet food. When we go camping we just take the stuff in the packets.

Now when I was still truck driving and had her with me I kept her dry food in a 5 gallon bucket with a tight closing lid.

15. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

We have a cheap Rubbermaid knockoff canister that we use. Pretty big one, since we have three babies that camp with us.

16. dmaerz

dmaerz New Member

The first meal is packed in the bowl (one full bowl with the other nestled around the first). The rest is placed in a gallon zip lock. We make homemade soft food for them (yes they are spoiled), so we freeze that and keep it in the frig.

17. wishicouldgo2

wishicouldgo2 SW Ohio

southwestern Ohio, southcenteral Louisiana
    We got a $6 container with a lockdown lid that holds 12 pounds. The dog is big, but you never know when you have an emergency and are stuck somewhere without dog food. Mine won't eat just anything.

18. jenmel

jenmel Hudson Valley, NY

I use a tupperware container, but I like the coffee can idea too. We always secure the food in the car after I feed her because we have bear warnings wherever we camp, so anything smelly (our stuff, and hers) gets packed in the car overnight.

I also didn't do bowls just for the camper - so I like that idea, and need to pick those up. I always have to remember to clean her house bowls to bring them with us - duh - that would be so much easier!

Thanks!

19. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

We don't bring Harley (Chocolate Lab) any dog food. We just walk him around and all the other campers just adore him and offer to feed him...............just kidding!! We use a rubber maid container for longer trips and a country crock butter container for the shorter trips.

Harley will also perform for treats with his spectacular run, jump, & fetch into any body of water!!

20. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

I had a cocker spaniel named Albert, he had a brother named Einstein, get it? Albert Einstein, okay let me type on. Einstein passed on as a puppy, but Albert live on for many years. He was the guy that got me all my meals while camping from Arizona to Montana and back. I would walk him thru the CG's during eating time, he of course was a greedy little thing but cute as a button. Folks would always invite us to chow down with them, plus he was a chick magnate.