Dog pre-rinse

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Dingit, May 8, 2019.

1. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I know many folks have their dog pre-clean dishes to conserve water. My dog is willing to make this sacrifice and pre-rinse dishes as well, but I find the slime he leaves behind is so viscous and slippery that I use more water washing dishes after his help than if he weren't involved. At home, he only gets to lick items that go in the dishwasher because it's just so hard to get that slobber off.

Is my dog broken?

xxxapache, Orchid, Ruby Jean and 2 others like this.
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have a pre-rinse beagle and follow it up with a pre-wash beagle mix. The extre pre-wash cleaning removes most of that pre-rinse slime.

davekro likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You guys are hilarious. Coco gets to pre-rinse my breakfast dishes especially eggs. I rather wash dog slobber than scrub yoke off my plates. She follows it by the taste of ocean fish cat food from the spoon I use to give my cat her food. Now you thought dog slobber is bad that cat food is NASTY. The smell litterly sticks to anything. No puppy kiss after though. [XX(]

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Wherever we are, at home or camping Our fur babies look forward to pre cleaning our dishes and will take seconds if we give it to them :)

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

So y'all are saying I need another dishlicking pet?

It's true though: it takes twice as long (and much more soap and water) to handwash a doglicked dish. Sure, they look really clean, but they remain slippery. [:(O]

When we're camping I actually have to remind the kids not to let that tongue get on the plates.

6. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Our dogs do basic dish duty all the time. [LOL] Warmer dish water with a proper soap does help much to break there saliva.

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

OK. I admit it. I NEVER do a dog pre-wash. They've made their choice as to what chores are important for them. If they insist on cleaning toilets, then they aren't washing dishes.

Squeeker, Stamourowl and Natureangel like this.
  8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Dog's not broken. I read on the interwebs that dog saliva actually has healing properties. So, just rub your dishes on your pants (or any open wound) and they will be good to go.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of dogs you guys have, but my mastiff has industrial strength slobber. Not even the Pug wants to tackle that.

10. Toedtoes

When I got Moose-dog, he was 8 weeks old. I took him to introduce to my dad's 3 year old Akita. They seemed to be doing OK, but I had to leave for a couple hours so my dad had me crate Moose-dog so "he wouldn't be eaten".

When I got back, the crate was open and there was no sign of moose-dog. I asked where's my dog and my dad said he got tired of the whining so let him out to "sink or swim".

Moose-dog and Uncle Akita were behind my dad. Uncle Akita was laying on the floor and Moose-dog was standing in front of him.

Moose-dog's entire head was inside Uncle Akita's mouth. You could see Uncle Akita's jaws working to pull Moose-dog further in. I said "let that poor puppy go and let him breath!". Uncle Akita opened his mouth, Moose-dog pulled out, took a deep breath, and went right back in...

His entire head was completely soaked. For 7 years they continued to be best buddies and Moose-dog always had his head in Uncle Akita's mouth.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Leave the rinse liquid on your dishes, as this prevents future sticking and also helps build "flavor layers", thus enhancing the entire meal enjoyment for all!

HappyTraveler and BikeNFish like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Akita saliva also makes a great hair mousse!

13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I will keep that in mind if my hair ever decides to start growing again![LOL]

14. Stamourowl

Stamourowl If it involves dogs and hiking count me in.

There is a pecking order in my house. Alpha dog gets the best dishes to preclean. She is a bit insulted if she just gets her regular kibble.

15. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Hate to be the downer on this thread but the salt we put in our food is not good for dogs health. To each his own but our dogs never get our food

Pommom70 likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

I think most are talking about just licking the empty plate, not actually feeding the dogs people food.

I will add that I never use salt on my food - if it needs seasoning, I use other things (pepper, herbs, etc). I figure I get enough salt when I eat out or eat processed foods.

SharonDH08 likes this.
  17. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Plate has salt on it and sugars dogs don’t need. If they lick plates every night it’s not good.

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Paper plates. Dogs do the pre-wash at home, where we have a dishwasher.

19. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

My dogs have always been plate lickers. All of them have lived to a ripe old age for their breed and had no high blood pressure from a salty plate...lol

I also feed them table scraps, leftovers, grease from browned meat, etc. and a Frostie about once a week.

20. Overland

Overland Active Member

Never.. not even a paper plate. I'm shocked this many allow a dog to lick a plate.. I could never eat off it again.

I'm not above giving my dog a piece of something i'm eating but I try to be selective. My lab occasionally gets hot spots that I believe is caused by a food allergy. I try to feed non grain dog food like Blue Buffalo or Rachel Ray.

If one of the kids open a package of Twizzlers, my dogs will not give you any lovin's if they don't get a piece. They take it personal.. ;)