Dog pre-rinse

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Dingit, May 8, 2019.

1. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

This question was posed because my dog's slobber is really hard to remove from dishes and I was surprised that others find their dogs' efforts to be helpful.

(I actually have higher standards for what my people eat than for what my dog eats, so if there's no allergy, he will be fine. :rolleyes:)

2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We agree, there saliva is hard to get off. Just the same, we still like to be out camping with the mutts. [:D]

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Puppy slobber just helps build-up a nice non-stick surface on the plates, making future clean-up a breeze!

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I don't make a habit of it but occasionally Ol' Roscoe gets to do a pre-rinse. Really ticks off DW (a princess who was raised in the suburbs).
    [LOL][LOL][LOL]

5. NavarWynn

NavarWynn Member

What a fascinating discussion! While the specific composition of 'pre-rinse' saliva varies amongst breeds, one of the key differences between dog and (human) saliva is that (according to my uncited discussion with a local vet years and years ago) it contains no digestive enzymes. When we were fostering (years ago now) we had a quite nervous foster who, constantly whenever left alone (and quite often even when accompanied), would lick everything neurotically, including the carpet, tile, furniture, etc. The characteristic of the saliva you have noted made cleaning up after him very very very (insanely) difficult. We tried a wide variety of cleaners, and one we found worked surprisingly well was the enzymatic cleaner we used for cleaning up and destinkifying after urine related 'accidents' (particularly bad when unfixed male cats came in for fostering before they got fixed). A few quick squirts and a minute to sit broke down the binding proteins of the saliva well enough to make cleanup VASTLY easier. I don't know if that would work for you or help in this application, but it certainly made life easier for us...

HappyTraveler and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  6. Pommom70

Pommom70 New Member

My DH would have a cow if I let the dog lick the dishes! Even when dishes are washed in dishwasher with the extra hot cycle.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I need a dog .....and dishes......man im so behind.

8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We can send you one! Or even two... [DOG][DOG][DOG][DOG][DOG][DOG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dishes or dogs? Eaither way.......

HappyTraveler likes this.