Dog Rant from Dog Owner

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Idahawk, Jul 18, 2011.

1. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

This going to continue for a while, anyway we camp at least once a month. And so far every other trip has been bad because of dogs. Barking at 2am, 3am, 4am, getting close to my kids, well, you know.
    This past weekend we camped at Anastasia SP, and there were unleashed dogs (rottie, bull) all over the campground and close to my site. Getting to the point (this issue with dogs) that the next time I'm out of my camper, will take my biggest golf wood and a machete on mi side, like Rambo [LOL] and the next dog that approach my baby girl, will meet them. I have dogs!!! I don't take them camping!!! With respect, they do bother other campers when they bark at nigth or early in the morning. So far my pop-up camping experience has been bad because of dogs. Just venting a little. [:D]

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Big can of MACE!!! Then you can use it on the owner when he comes and complains.

3. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] Sweet!

4. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I feel your pain.

5. tfalter

tfalter I MUST work, so I CAN play

JJnComp 14hw... sounds like the "happy hamburg" idea might be a good idea for you to consider...

I find it amazing that this topic can generate 4 pages of posts... now don't get me wrong... not that there is not 4 pages worth of valid opinions and experiences... but that this is such a hot topic...

We are new to camping but I can already see that I need to figure out how I want to deal with this WHEN it happens... not if...

It is sad to me though when you obviously have so many inconsiderate pet owners out there... and I say that because it seems like everyone has "their story"... I for one will leave my dogs home for a while... I have the best dog in the world (golden) but I like the idea of not having to deal with the extra work. My wife's dog on the other hand had her brains bread out of her a few generations ago... ain't no way she is going (the dog that is)...

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Also last weekend same thing, Had a sooner come running at me like-he was going to eat me up...Didn't know owner was around,,,dog stopped at my leg AND I said bite me and you will meet your maker,,woman got her bowels in a uproar because of my statement..and if dog had bit, he would have looked like a perfect field goal going through the up rites.
    I have no use for a bitting dog!! People who care about their animals will not let them run loose!

7. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Dog Rant from Dog Owner

There is only one way that any dog owner can 100 % guarantee that their dog won't bite someone at a campground and that's to leave them home .

My dogs IMO wouldn't harm a fly and I would keep them leashed and watch them like a hawk , but I can't say that a leash won't break or that a kid may approach one of dogs unexpectedly and that an accident wouldn't happen . I don't want to be that dog owner. I leave my pets home .

It's clear many owners are allowing their dogs to run free at campgrounds and if people don't want to effect change, which it's clear in this post that people don't want to get involved then I see only one outcome .

Their already banning " aggressive breeds" for liability reasons so the writing is on the wall .

8. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

We've been camping with our dog for 5 years.

In all that time, we've never had an incident where our dog has gone onto another campsite, bit anyone, or been bitten. She doesn't growl at people, or other dogs. She doesn't howl or whine if we are with her, and someone is always with her. She is still as a mouse in the camper at night.

We do keep her on a leash, unless its at a leash free area at some parks(usually well away from campsites or beaches).

I'm sorry some of you have had issues. You have to know that bad dog behaviour almost always stems from bad owner behaviour.

If we had an aggressive dog running riot in the campground, first I'd be trying to find the owner and make it behave, and when it was safe, I'd be reporting it to the rangers. There is no excuse.

But there is no need to ban us from camping either.

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Very true JamesRL. I am getting ready to start camp training my dogs. Of course they're going to bark when they see someone walk closely by my camp site! They're begging you to come pet them! One IS a barker, so he will be the last to be trained. I can honestly say that when a previous GSD mix I had barked, I muzzled her with a soft nylon muzzle. It muted her barks VERY WELL and eventually she 'got it'. Won't hesitate to do the same with any of my 3 now, if they prove to be barkers at a strange place.

But yeah...kids are going to make noise and so are dogs...that's why quiet time is established. Otherwise, unless it's BARKBARKBARKBARKBARK, and I mean non stop, then I would let it be. I'm not sure why no one mentioned calling the rangers or camp hosts ASAP (except for you James!). I've called them more than once, but get this...NEVER on a kid or a pet...it's ALWAYS been adults who's "few" beverages have made them forget they're in a civilized area...and even then, I usually ignore it until about an hour after quiet time. After all, no one has an OFF switch and some need a few more minutes to settle down and quiet down.

As far as breeds, I raise Rotties. Currently two of my 3 are Rotties and one is a Heinz57 mutt. One of the Rotties is a "mini" as his daddy, or one of them, had some dachshund in him. He stands a mere 11" tall, but OMG can he bark!! [V] They're all different and they'll all take different training to get them to understand. But they'll get there, or they'll be boarded when I camp. Now if DH doesn't go, which he hasn't yet, then he keeps the babies at home with him. Well, except for the one I'm training that trip.

Like you also James, my FIRST reaction is to get the dog corralled, which is EASY if it's even a little friendly, with treats. Then find the owner. WHY? Because I know someone, somewhere, is most likely dieing inside trying to locate their fur bay. But mostly, for the sake of the dog. It's not fair that if a dog does get loose, it immediately be labeled dangerous and sent to the pound. OR banned from the campground. Humans tend to exaggerate at times to get their way, we know this. But like James also said, there's NO reason to hate campers with dogs as a whole. Matter of fact, that seems a tad foolish. If your kid gets lost on a trail, you'll truly appreciate the 'dog' that comes to sniff your child out. Just sayin...

My last trip, I corralled a beagle mix and his muttly buddy. It took me less than 3 mins to call the # on the tag. The owners own a ton of land that abuts the ACOE campground I was at, and came over the ridge within 5 minutes. They were walking on their own land, and the puppy caught a scent and went for it. Well, that side of the cg land is NOT fenced at the borders....so who takes the blame on that one? The cg for not 'protecting us'? The owners who were hiking on their land? Needless to say, we were all surprised to find out the cg is fully accessible from the back side.

MY concerns with that? SECURITY for us campers!! I mean why have a front set of iron gates that get locked at 11pm, if any 'joe schmo' can simply walk over the ridge and rob, pillage, or even kidnap or kill. That's NOT for effect, they just recovered ANOTHER body in one of our national forests within the last week. I rarely trust anyone as it is, but this just keeps it fresh on my mind. Ah well....dang, another book.
    [:D]

10. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Just a question and yes I do understand an issue of an aggressive dog towards your child but would you please take your actions out on the owner first if the child is unharmed? The dog didn't ask to be put in the situation. Holler "4" and let em have a good wack.. Just sayin...

11. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

[:D] [LOL]

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I couldn't hurt a flea, I mean Dog [8D]

13. LBL 1206

LBL 1206 New Member

Unless I have missed it, the one issue I have not read from the complaints read is, no one has seemed to contact
    campground management.

Perhaps afraid or don't want to be identified as the one lodging complaint by neighbor. That's what management is for, to field and resolves campground/site issues.

Holding your breath and counting to ten will only make you dizzy. Doing nothing resolves nothing.

This thread has gone way too long. [{:)]

14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I don't know about others, but I didn't call the management the last time we were out and people partied loudly until after 2:00am and the neighbors dog barked until 1:00am because I didn't know who to call on site. It was not obvious if they had camp hosts and where they were. And there was no cell service at all. The phones were unusable. I have no problem getting involved or complaining when needed. This was the first time I every felt I needed to. Believe me, the next time we go out, I'll be asking at "check-in" who we contact if there's problems.

15. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

I did call the Campground host and she said: "I know, the dogs didn't let me sleep either" this was in Tybee Island- Rivers End Campground. Won't go back there again.
    And if you read one of the previous post here, a dog charged a girl in a bike and she had an accident. I thank God that it wasn't my baby girl!

16. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

A funny story though...

We were camping at a State Park a little north of us earlier this summer. This particular CG borders some house and the homes are separated from the park by a high wooden fence. While setting up, we noticed the campers near us had dogs but we hadn't had many issues with dogs in the CG's before and we were hoping for the best once again.

Later in the afternoon, we were coming back from a walk and we could hear dogs barking pretty steadily. It was coming from our loop and it was loud. We got a little nervous and wondered if we were going to have a problem. When we got back to camp, we noticed the big black lab on the campsite behind us and the other dogs nearby were just standing looking at the fence. The barking was coming from dogs in the houses near the campground! The dogs in the park did not return the barking and almost looked as though they were disgusted with the noise themselves!

Later on Sunday afternoon, after many of the campers had left and we were breaking camp ourselves, a woman opened a gate in the fence and came though to the State Park. Another person followed her through and forgot to shut the gate. Soon a dog came running through the gate... then another one. The couple tried calling the dogs to no avail. They took off like bullets, running circles around their adults. Much to my amazement - another dog came running through and then another and another. I counted 12 by the time the last one came through. And none of them were responding to the owners/dogsitters. We were in shock and awe as they ran through all the campsites and then headed off to all parts of the State Park, with the owners chasing after them. I worried for days as to whether all those dogs got found and collected. I bet that gate won't be left open again!

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I haven't been keeping up with this thread so I have no idea what has been or is being said back and forth.

But, I have to give you kudos for being an obviously loving father. Too many men these days don't even have relationships with their kids or support them in any way.

I know this dog incident happened at least a week or more ago ... don't remember when the thread started. Just the fact that you're still upset about it shows your love for your little girl.

Do what you have to do to protect your family. If any animal approaches your kids, you have the right to do what you need to do to protect them.

18. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

I just got home from 4 weeks on boondocking in the Colorado mountains. I took my dog and we had a great time with him. He is young and he is a rescue puppy to boot so he has some issues. I keep him on a leash, like the rules in the NF say and it keeps him, and me out of trouble. I saw many dogs that were allowed to run free and in come cases chase after deer. Many of these dogs are very well trained but some are not. They could have chased after the bear just as easily. I saw claw marks from one and at a different camp sight I saw a bear in the woods. If every one would just keep their dog on a leash like the rules say to things would be much better for all of us.

19. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

They do specifically mention in the bear safety tips when we camp in bear country not to have your dog unleashed when in bear country. The fear is that the dog will antagonize the bear, the bear will chase the dog, the dog will run back to the owner, and then the dog outruns the owner, the owner has to confront the bear.

20. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Dog Rant from Dog Owner

If you don't let your dog run loose at home , why would you turn it loose on the public in tight quarters at a campground ? If discharging a firearm on federal property wasn't a crime this issue would not be an issue at all .