Dogs and bee stings

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Bowman3d, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Last month we went to the Grand Canyon since we planned lots of hiking we left our 2 dachshunds home under the care of our daughter. Well 2 days into our 4 day trip we got the call we were dreading. Tanner our 9 month old doxie was being taking to the emergency vets. He was having a seizure. Turns out he was stung on his bottom lip by a bee. Fortunately he's okay now but it was close. Talked to the our vet about being prepared if it happens again. Turns out Epipens doesn't work on dogs like humans and the best thing to do is force half a Benadryl down his throat and get him to a vet asap. A whole pill will put him to sleep and then you can't be sure if they are having trouble or not.Now we never go anywhere with out a supply of Benadryl with us not even in our back yard. Just thought I'd pass along this info in case anyone's dog gets stung while camping.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Good tip....I have been giving Benedryl to my dogs when needed for 20 years. Not only for bee stings, but hives, allegergies, ect. I keep a pack of it in my campers first aid box.

Wilkywoods likes this.
  3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Thank you! Adding some Benedryl to my camper's first aid kit right away.

4. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Glad you guys posted this thread...benedryl is good for humans as well suffering from an allergic reaction.... I need to add that to my first aid kit. Thanks for a great idea.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I carry it too, but check with the vet to verify dosage. My dogs would require 4 25mg pills at the minimum. And I was advised to not give it to them if the face is swelled or they have great difficulty breathing; unless you are a long way away from the vet.

And make sure to purchase pure Benadryl, some on the market also contain tylenol or other drugs.

6. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Hi all, I am a veterinarian and Benadryl is very safe. at the proper dose it shouldn't make them sleep, but may make them drowsy. Proper dose is 1 mg per pound--i.e. a 25lb. dog gets 1 25mg tablet. When in doubt a little extra won't hurt--i.e. dog weighs 40 lbs go ahead and give 50mg. Very small dogs (Less than 12 lbs better to have the children's liquid form). Good to write the dose on the box, as we tend not to be calm when things are going south for our furry friends. And the advice of always going to vet ER is true. When things go south from bee stings it happens fast--I have seen them die. We will use epi as a last resort, but generally benadryl and steroids stop most reactions.

7. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

my dog has allergies & takes one pill daily. I have fish oil vitamins, cut off one end & drop the pink pill in the oil. you'll get no argument from dog on taking the pill.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Orchid

This is brilliant!! Did the vet say it okay for the dog to have that much fish oil? If so, this is a great way to go.

sea-piner?

I usually shove pills into a piece of hot dog. Gulp! They don't even chew. [LOL]

9. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

definitely. The dose is 25 to 50 mg per pound of Omega 3 fatty acids. Great anti-inflammatory for arthritis and allergies. Unfortunately studies show only about 30% reduction in clinical signs. As far as for arthritis, since 1/3 of old dogs are euthanized due to arthritic pain, 30% will improve quality of life and therefore duration of life. Just be sure to give it 3 months to see improvements.

10. Orchid

I had no idea! Going to try giving it to my oldest dog. She is almost 15, Newfoundland and has a hard time with stairs and hard floor. We have had to move the food to the living room, right next to the foyer as she can't get through the kitchen without her back end slipping anymore. She is about 140 lbs and I know past her life expectancy. She's a big girl.

She doesn't seem in pain laying around most days, although there have been times when DH and son have carried up and down the deck steps on bad days. I used to give her Etodolac, when I had an rx for it. They took it away from me due to kidney problems so now she's not on it. We're not ready to part with her, and she is not ready to go yet. If I thought she was suffering daily, I would let her go, but not seeing that yet thankfully. Going to start her on fish oil today. I have it in my cabinet.

11. Tracy D.

Tracy D. Member

Start slowly...... it is very fishy and oily and horrific gi side effects can happen if you give a full amount right off the bat!

12. Orchid

[LOL] [LOL] Thanks!

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have give the old dog 1 pill 2x daily. I use about 1/2 tsp of peanut butter and embed the pill in it. The puppy as to have some peanut butter too. I first started with crunchy but now its smooth.

14. R00

R00 Active Member

Watch out for fake sweeteners in peanut butter!!! Xylitol (also used in chewing gum) can be fatal to dogs. Shuts down kidneys, total renal failure.

15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Barney is 9, weighs 60lbs. ive seen ad for Toe grips, silicone tubes for dog's toenails to prevent slipping.
    the fish oil is what i take too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

This is what happens. And we see it a lot. Usually from dog eating a pack of sugar free gum.

"The sugar alcohol xylitol is a popular sweetener used in gums, candies, and baked goods. While xylitol has a wide margin of safety in people and most mammalian species, when ingested by dogs it is believed to stimulate excessive insulin secretion leading to severe hypoglycemia, potentially followed by acute hepatic failure and coagulopathies. Additional clinical findings may include thrombocytopenia, hypokalemia, and hyperphosphatemia. The prognosis for recovery in dogs that develop uncomplicated hypoglycemia is generally good with prompt and aggressive veterinary care."

Xylitol toxicosis in dogs.
    Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. March 2012;42(2):307-12, vii.
    Lisa A Murphy 1, Adrienne E Coleman

17. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Sea -piner.... it's nice to have some real experts around here. Thank you for adding your wisdom.

18. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

It really is my pleasure. Almost everyone on this forum that I have encountered are kind and eager to help in their areas of expertise, so I am happy to return the favor.

19. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

I'm fighting the urge to start peppering you with questions sea-piner! :)

Thanks for sharing your expertise! I'm off to check if the peanut butter I use to make dog treats has xylitol in it......

20. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Fire away!