Dometic A/C unit shroud

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Grandpa Don, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

My popup and A/C unit is a 2003 model year. The Dometic A/C model number is 5795-751. I was noticing that the Shroud cover on top was beginning to get some small cracks around the mounting screws. I thought I would take it off and reinforce the holes.

Big mistake! After I removed all of the screws and began to lift it off, it shattered into a hundred pieces. It was as brittle as an egg shell. Now I know why you see so many of them on the side of the highways. They look okay, but they are not! Age makes them very brittle and it doesn't take much to have them come apart and blow off the top.

I bought a new one online for $129.00. It was an easy install. Now I'm going to get a cover for the unit in hopes of making it last longer. I say longer...but I think the original one was made in 2003. So I guess I can't complain.

TIP: Be careful working around the Shroud. You just might have the same problem.

kcsa75 likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The sun dried the plastic out. I have a 15 year old unit and have taken it off a couple of times over the years, I guess New England weather has been easier on it.

3. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Mine was so brittle that I could break it into small pieces with my bare hands and stuff it into the trash can. I'm just glad I discovered it before it blew off on the highway and damaged somebody's car.

Ladiesman and Sjm9911 like this.