Dometic fridge won't cool on Propane

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by ve3tiz, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you add the fan mods maybe. But sometimes good enough is good enough[:D]

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Either a baffle or upper vent fan will even the cooling out. I cut a piece of aluminum flashing, left over from previous projects, to fit around the draft chimney and between the fridge coils and the outside wall, stapled into the lower edge of the upper vent opening. I've heard of people using thin plywood, cardboard and other materials to do this. I was in the process of selecting a fan for the upper vent when I decided the baffle was all I needed.

It's almost always over 90* when we camp.

ve3tiz and nectarsis like this.
  3. ve3tiz

ve3tiz Member

I'll take those tips under advisement. Any camping this coming week will be 90-95 for us. Our many wineries love the climate but I'm not always keen on it. Cancelling our plans to camp this weekend but will be scoping out a potential "sorta" seasonal site on a day trip - friend of a friend has a huge chunk of rural property less than two hours from home with a pond and a stream running thru it. :)

SteveP and A-Ranger12 like this.
  4. ve3tiz

ve3tiz Member

Added the fan mod yesterday. Also removed the "T" top and baffle insert on the chimney and gave it a shot down with the air compressor (with the burner removed). Double checked the orifice with a loupe at the same time and gave it another soak and shot with the air compressor as well. Put 'er all back together and let it run all night. It's 11AM now and presently 86F outside. And the fridge is 34F. :)

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

With the right ventilation, they can get cold. We have to be careful on our not to freeze produce in the fridge. We rarely run it above 3.5 or so on with 5 being the max. I think it does help to keep that side of the camper out of the direct sun if you can.

6. Sharpie

Sharpie Member

After you getting it cooling right add a computer cooling fan to suck the heat away from the back of you fridge. I did that mod 5 years ago and it worked great. Getting air flow going past the back of the fridge through the pipes helps the fridge work more efficient.

7. RichRL

RichRL New Member

To help with checking the temperature get a wireless thermometer and place in the fridge. It will eliminate losing the progress made in between opening the door to check it.

ve3tiz and xxxapache like this.
  8. ve3tiz

ve3tiz Member

That's how I do it. Actually the camper has been down the whole time. I can't even get to the fridge from inside like that. So I depend on the wireless sensor.