Dometic Fridge works on AC/DC but not on Propane

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by scollins, Jul 31, 2015.

1. scollins

scollins Member

Our 98 Palomino's fridge works great on AC/DC but not on propane. The jet is strong and blue but the flew seems to heat up a lot. I am thinking a spider is stuck in there but I am not sure how to get it out. Any suggestions on cleaning the flew would be helpful. Thanks! By the way. It worked fine on propane last year.

2. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

The flue should heat up, that heat is responsible for creating the motive force for the ammonia solution in the cooling circuit, and you should feel some warmth at the top right side of your vent when the vent is in place. If it works well on electric, then that rules out any leak in the system, and if you had a leak in the system you might smell ammonia or see an odd colored deposit on the piping circuit. Insure that you've got the 12volt and the 120volt switches in the off position. If the flame stays lit, the next issue is the quality of the flame. Often rust and debris will fall from the vent interfering with the burner system. To fix the problem only requires removing a minimal amount of tin shielding and then vacuuming the area around the burner thoroughly. It most likely has to do with the flame quality and debris around the flame. There's really no reason to think that a spider is going to enjoy that much heat. Since the fridge is working on AC and DC power that tells me the ammonia circuit is still viable.

3. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

I'm having the same issue. Let us know what you find. Mine goes in on the 28th for warrantee work. I'll do some things on my own as i learn. So far.. i've learned little.. lol

4. scollins

scollins Member

AC and DC for sure work. Flame quality is identical to how it was prior to the problem, strong and blue. I know it is supposed to heat up because of the energy transfer that allows a propane fridge to operate but there is EXCESSIVE heat coming from it now as opposed to before. I did take it apart and the jet and area around it are clean. The cylindrical flew above is getting crazy hot though. Much hotter than before.

5. mred

Did cleaning it fix it?

6. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

My guess is the thermocouple needs to be cleaned or replaced.

7. mred

Got ICE!!. got mine working. took the burner off and blew it out with compressed air. Must have been rust in the jets as when i blew out the flew i saw some. Put it back together and instantly noticed a better flame. Ran it all night with a small container of water in the freezer. This morning... ICE!!! Hope this helps you. and thanks to everyone for their advice.