Dometic Model 2652 Climate Control Heater Bypass

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Davylee, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Dometic sometime in the last few years took the climate control switch off the refrigerator and made the climate control heater a full time amperage draw. The switch used to be located on the top of the frame at the freezer and a blank can be seen there now. I measured the amp draw at .1amps however on another forum it was measured as .5amp. The heater wire is also routed to the door switch area. If you remove the plastic housing, you will see a thinner red wire for the light and a thicker wire leaving the wall and going to the switch. If you interrupt the thicker wire with a switch or connectors so you can disconnect and reconnect you can control the heater when you are not using electric. I used a sub mini toggle switch to allow me to turn mine on and off. Others have used rocker switches. There is not a lot of room inside the housing so you may want to siwtch to a led bulb to reduce the heat and remember if you don"t to leave clearance between wires and the light bulb (it gets hot). As always ensure the AC and DC are off before altering the wiring, and altering the wiring will void your 2 year warranty. Here are two pictures showing what I did. I extended the wires to make it a little easier for me.

[​IMG]
    In the second picture there is actually more room between the switch and the bulb but appears there isn't due to the angle of the shot.
    [​IMG]

Moderator feel free to resize as needed

2. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Thanks again for the tip about this mod, Dave. I completed mine yesterday, and some pics are below. I am already running an LED bulb, so no worries there, but an incandescent could definitely get hot enough to damage the wires, despite it being in the fridge compartment.

Being that these heaters are now controlled by the control board, I'd bet that the draw is more than .1amps and closer to the .5 when it is drawing full power.

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]
    DURING:
    [​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Nice jobs. I just completed this mod on my HTT as well.

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Does it qualify as a mod if your not cutting a 2'X2' hole through the side of the fridge? [:O]

Actually, I want to do it and I don't have a Dometic. What does the climate control do on a Dometic? I know my Atwood has a heater that keeps moisture from forming between freezer and fridge but its controlled by the board and its not really a "defroster".

Maybe I'll just install a toggle not wired to anything so I can keep up with the Jone's. [LOL]

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

John,

The heater your Atwood has is the same purpose as the Dometic one. While ours is also controlled by the board, it has been warm every time I have felt for it (on the horizontal frame between the fridge and freezer), and on mine even when on overnight in 60-65 degree weather.

I'd be reeeeally jealous if you put one of these on the front door of your fridge. Even if it isn't hooked up, the cool factor is just over the top. I don't think you'll do it, though. [;)] [:D]

[​IMG]

6. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

For what it's worth, the result with the fridge running overnight in the driveway, with the climate control heater shut off, is the bit of condensation on the frame between the fridge and freezer. A few drops around the magnetic seal as well, that dripped down from the top.

[​IMG]

If I'm saying 12 amp hours per day (assuming the .5amp draw listed in the manual is correct), this is well worth wiping a few drops of condensation every day.

7. K_and_I

K_and_I Member

I know this is an old thread, but I am looking to do to my Dometic 2652 what you have done. I am curious what switch was used. Davylee's pictures no longer show. I like what I see with KMH's pictures. What switch did you use, and where did you get it? With Radio Shack no longer around, I really don't know where to go for electronics like this.
    TIA
    K_and_I

8. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Glad that my pictures helped.

I used a rocker switch from an extra overhead light for the camper that I had. I liked the one I had, as it looks more factory than a chunky rocker switch, but in the end, either will work just fine. You should be able to find something on ebay that would work.

9. K_and_I

K_and_I Member

Thanks for responding. I checked ebay and did find something that should work. Now to get it done.

10. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Ebay and other sites have switches, just have to search. Good luck with the mod.