Dometic Refrig Light Curtain

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Econ, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

IMG_20201214_083014.jpg
    Anything like this? This is in a 2012 camper.

2. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Thank you for the time and effort to take the photo. It appears there are several different faces for the RM 2354. I thought if they changed the appearance that the model number would change but apparently not.

This might be it.
    https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/dometic-rm2354-refrigerator-253647

Let me use woodworking terms. The face of the refrig is not flush with the camper's cabinets. It stands out about 3". They then cut a 2" x 2" rabbet( not mispelt) into the center half of the refrig cabinet's upper horizontal corner. That forms the dashboard. What I think they did was form plastic to make a curtain that covers the dashboard hole as evidenced by two holes in the sides of the rabbet.

Fortunately I got the camera out and will go out there today.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Now I'll be paranoid about mine popping out on rough roads, like the original thermostat did.

4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@Dingit

Went out to the camper and verified the model number on it.
    Looked on the Dometic website for that model number and the photo is different looking.

Here is what my RM 2354 looks like.

upload_2020-12-22_13-44-6.jpeg

There are two holes in the upper corners that make me think there used to be a cover

upload_2020-12-22_13-47-0.jpeg

5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Oh! Look at this similar one. Looks like it has a hood and the holes are just a red herring (or attachment points if you prefer :p).

https://pantherrvproducts.com/rm2354rbf

ETA: some of the images on that link appear to be a different fridge but a few look right

6. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Bingo, just like I thought. There was a smoked plastic hood covering the lights muting them and mine is missing. The hood probably has pegs in the upper side corners that slip in the holes.

Where do you get smoked plastic and how to shape it?

Thanks

7. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

The best gift I ever gave myself was teaching myself to sleep without it being totally black. It wasn't always that way... I never required total darkness, but any significant light would bug me. Similar to sound, if that light "shouldn't be there" (e.g. neighbor's party lights) it bugged me even more, on a mental level, and kept me up.

I remember being in band in college, on tour, and sleeping in a room that amounted to an army barracks, with about 20 other guys. The lights were left on all night. I got pitiful sleep that night.

Somehow over the years I learned to deal with it. While I would still prefer the room lights be off, I don't mind some ambient light in the room. We have a weather center in our home bedroom which lets out quite a bit of light, for example... doesn't bother me at all.

This is a particular asset while camping in a pup. You never know if there's going to be a street light, or a full moon, or neighbors with ridiculous party lights, etc. The lights on a fridge wouldn't even phase me.

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Econ likes this.
  9. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

I wake up at sunrise. When I worked, the nightstand lamp was hooked up to a timer that turned the lamp on and woke me up. As you age you don't sleep as soundly as when you were a teenager. I worked night crew and slept during lunch hour on a cash register conveyor belt with full lights. Them were the days.

10. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=" Brain cells grow back.
    [/QUOTE]

They haven't yet.

Your search skills are amazing as I could not find that.

Note the reviews. Appears the part is easy to break and difficult to repair. One guy as broke 3 in 3 years

Thanks

11. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

I use to have a problem sleeping with any lights. The LW has to have night lights. She has the old school type that uses a giant Christmas Tree bulb, it is so big it may be for outdoor lights. The light sensor is broke and it is on all the time so it has to be un plugged in the morning to turn it off and if you accidently touch the bulb it will leave a blister. I stole it and put it in the bottom of the trash can so she couldn't find it. She noticed it gone mid day and took off to Home Cheapo to get her a new one. So when she gets back she is wagging a bag with 2 T handle looking nights that are led and have an on off switch. Yep there are 3 LED's per light now. These things are at least 1" in diameter each. Oh, I forgot she bought 2 of them. one in the bedroom and one the hall. I am guessing they had a sale on. She liked them so much she went back and got one for the PUP. Now visualize a Coleman lantern sitting on the picnic table next to the PUP burning all night. I suppose that keeps the wild animals away. I stack boxes around it to keep it from shining on the neighbors. Now with all these lights on she gives me some Make Me Snore at night to help me sleep. And that stuff works great :)o) The things a man has to do to get out this day and time is incredible.

Econ likes this.
  12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Somehow I get the feeling that if you replace yours, it will be better attached than OEM.

You could just do an actual curtain. A semi sheer material attached at the top and velcroed at the bottom.

(I am interested in this "Make Me Snore" product. Does it come in flavors like "Irish" and "Kentucky" and "Scotch"? So many of those also Make Me Pee in the middle of the night which makes me need a night light and it's really a vicious circle, isn't it!?)

13. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

DINGIT, You need to get a little more creative, Make Me Snore is not a product I would buy, the good stuff is homemade. I am normally comatose for several hours afterwards :)o)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Econ likes this.