Don't forget to pack benedryl for your pet!

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by wishicouldgo2, May 28, 2010.

1. wishicouldgo2

wishicouldgo2 SW Ohio

southwestern Ohio, southcenteral Louisiana
    Camping time is upon us once again. When you make up your first aid kit, remember to pack enough benedryl for everyone including your pets. Talk to your vet about the dosage. It saved my dogs life once. Good camping!! [;)]

2. jjdube

jjdube New Member

This is very good advice. I almost lost my Goldie from Wasp stings. He had found a nest and decided to rip it up. Got about 6 or so stings to the nose. Didn't think much of it at first till his tongue swelled up and he was having a hard time breathing. 1 benedryl in a piece of cheese and he was back to normal within an hour. He slept the rest of the night curled up on the couch with me.

3. mistie_37

mistie_37 New Member

I would have never thought of that. Thank you so much for the advise :)

4. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Oh my gosh! I never thought about that! Thanks for telling about it.

5. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

As the saying goes you should strive to learn one new thing every day so I guess I can go to bed tonight content now.

Next time I am at the store I am going to pick some up, though the way our dog is I will probably need to get the liquid kind. She refuses to take any kind of pills regardless of how you hide them in food. I once hid a pill in the middle of a piece of steak. She ate the steak and spit the pill out.

6. Goldens

Goldens Member

Please stay away from the liquid stuff, it can be very dangerous for your dog.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=551&S=1&SourceID=52

Have you tried the back-up treat idea? What I would do is put a pill in a piece of bread/cheese/whatever in one hand with another piece of bread/cheese/etc w/o the pill in the other hand. Give the one with the pill first and usually the dog will want the second one so fast they will have no idea they got a pill [;)]

Benadryl dosage is 1mg per lb. A 25mg tablet/capsule for a 25lb dog for instance. 2-3 times a day if necessary. Always ask your vet before giving your dog any meds and their proper dosage of course, some human drugs can be lethal to our friends.

Tucker got into a nest of yellow jacket in Maine back in '06 and I was glad I had it with me. :)

7. moonbayb

moonbayb Member

Geenies Pill Pockets are a wonderful invention. Before we lost our Niki, I had a hard time getting her her meds into her until my vet suggested them. It got to the point that her ears would perk up when she heard me picking up the bag. She loved the beef flavor, and I got them really cheap on Amazon.com

8. willyp

willyp New Member

The benedryl is a great idea. Sometimes we have to give to our cocker to help calm her nerves at night in the pup. She is very high strung and barks at every little sound at night. we also have problems getting her to take pills so we buy her the childrens flavored chewables she thinks they are a treat and loves them.

9. electronflux

electronflux Member

There is nothing wrong with giving liquid Benadryl to your dog as long as it's the right type of Benadryl and have gotten dosage info from your vet. What you have to make sure is that diphenhydramine is the only medication and not a mixture with another that may be harmful/lethal for your pet.

10. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

And speaking of Diphenhydramine, while you're at your local Riteaid, CVS, Walgreens, etc... look at the ingredients of their "sleep aid" products. The CVS brand "Nite-Time Sleep Aid" contains nothing more than the exact same dose of Diphenhydramine as the expensive Benedryl antihistamine, but you get more pills in the bottle for less $$$. And who doesn't want to save a few [2C] [2C] [2C] [2C] now-a-days!!!

11. hammer1234

hammer1234 New Member

As long as the liquid doesn't contain alcohol or anything else that is bad for the dog it's fine...

We gave our mini-dachshund the liquid when she had a shot reaction several weeks ago, it was a 10mg dose IIRC. Just made sure that the other ingredients were OK. She was also on prednisone pills...which she took with gusto when we put them in peanut butter.

12. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

One of my doxies reacts to everything foreign that enters her system from bug bites to annual injections. My vet recommended we take both the pills and the liquid. She said we could use the pills for a mild reaction, but if need be, to use the liquid as it enters the system more quickly to fight the reaction. For my 12 lb girl, the dosage is 1 tsp (12.5mg) of liquid, or 1/2 tab (25mg).

13. kozmos

kozmos New Member

Thanks. We'll be doing a lot of camping with our new to us dog this summer and I was trying to think of what we'll need for him. We have a vets apt. Tuesday so I'll be sure to ask some questions then.

14. jmcdtucson

jmcdtucson New Member

Great advice, thanks!
    Another handy thing to have is Benadryl cream for things like poison ivy.

15. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

& for some of my fellow SW locals---Don't forget about Scorpion stings for you and your pooch!! I've been told re: larger dogs such as mine-- they usually will shrug them off, but if you have a small dog can be a really bad situation.

16. Jenk

Jenk New Member

While camping at Bear Brook State Park in NH during black fly season our friends Wiemeraner(sp) got bit so many times her head swelled up....they broke camp in the middle of the night...never heard them and had to find an all night vet emergency room for her....the vet gave her benedryl....they never go camping without it now

17. wishicouldgo2

wishicouldgo2 SW Ohio

southwestern Ohio, southcenteral Louisiana
    It will be camping time soon again. Please keep this thread up where it can be found easily. I cannot tell you how important this is. It really saves lives...

18. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Thanks for bringing this one back. Yes, it does! Like I said before, one of my doxies has had many a close call, only to be saved by Benadryl.

19. Mrs337

Mrs337 New Member

[DOG]We have an entire first aid kit for our dogs. Includes items to help in the case of minor injuries, bug bites, snake bites and items to handle broken legs (like tongue depressors and wrap) ...tweezers and well, everything (almost) you can think of. It's mixed in with the human first aid [big]bag, but yesterday we were at Bass Pro and we've decided to buy a big brightly colored tackle- like box to sort it all.

20. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

I have a first aid kit that I bought from the Humane Society..... they make them up and sell them to raise money.......has bandages,scissors,antiseptic wipes,liquid to flush eyes out with,allergy pills and at least 20 other products and a booklet that shows you how to wrap a broken leg and alot of other helpfull tips.
    I've only had to use and replace the allergy pills but it's great to have in case something happens to my dog or someone else's.
    Suzanne :)