Don't tell us your schedule....too much.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by rob2218, Jul 8, 2015.

1. gopherit

gopherit New Member

On this site-- we use usernames, not our real names. There is a reason for that.

I hope there are only a few people who via the admin rights have access to the "real" names and emails. Even when using my "real" name, I am so often confused with others with the same or similar name in my locality and region anyway, it's not funny... I always forward on the emails if possible, others tend to not do the same.

My address and even city are obscured by listing only a general area; not a specific "town". So again, hard to find me. I never indicate my real birthyear plus birthdate when signing up for services. That would be downright stupid. Again, that helps to confuse. I don't think even FB has that; they ask for your birthday; not your year. Be sure to make your FB settings so that only friends, and possibly friends of friends, can see what you post.
    Identify theft is a more real threat now than my tiny house being broken into.
    In the past month I have had to "shut down" two cc's and I am sure it had nothing to do with what I posted online.
    Do people who have met me at a rally know a little more about me? Yes, but that is a small group and largely they are traceable.

I do have to say I was really, really PO'd at Goodwill when I made a return this past weekend and they demanded my address AND ID AND CC number to make a refund. They said they were entering my address and phone # to their system GAAA i went ballistic, truly. I had the CC number and that's all they need! People committing fraudulent returns ask for cash or check; not refund to their own CC.

To me, I almost walked out, since the potential future loss ie far greater than the $15 item (A hibachi grill, defective) I was returning. I am a very careful online participant.
    That is your real risk. Cc and identity theft. Study all your paper or emailed cc statements each month. I caught one with charges from a state I hadn't been in that month and called, right away, for credit.
    To me, on the part of a merchant when they admitted any employee/clerk could see those personal information items now I'm in the "system", that is downright irresponsible.
    If they want to steal my old furniture in my home, go ahead, is my view.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You listed you age here as 37. I was just making a point not doing detective work.

3. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

I'm just not that important. Yes I've searched my name, with my age, with my wife's name, with my city of residence, and I got NOTHING yes the search comes back in minutes, but it would take a crack head days to even find anything on me and then he's gotta somehow decide that the info given somehow belongs to me. I'm just not that important. Maybe some of you folks on here have page after page of info on google. I just dont.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That's an awful lot of work for someone to go through when I really don't have anything that valuable to take. They want my 7 year old flat screen? Oh well (hey, it was expensive 7 years ago...)

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Since the end of March, we've had 3 robberies in our area (not a high crime area). In all 3, the homeowner regularly parked an RV within sight of the street. The robbery happened the first night the RV was gone. In all 3, the robber took his time, used homeowner's tools to break open a fireproof safe and thoroughly search for hidden valuables. Nothing large or easily identified was taken.

I suspect the robber has reason to travel through the neighborhood regularly and notices when the RVs are gone. Does he also check internet sites? Who knows?

In response, we made the PUP storage location less visible from the street. Trusted neighbors have our contact info and are watching our place when we are gone. We do the same for them. A little caution is a good thing, but I'm still going to enjoy the trip. :)

6. redneckgearhead

Having four vehicles and not parking the pup in the same spot twice is a blessing, not to mention having a shared driveway makes it look like someone could be hone at any time. And bless their hearts they truly are needy to take my old tv that I bought used.

All joking aside being robbed sucks. We had a car stolen out of our driveway while we slept in tulsa. It gutted us, because we lived in a "nice " neighborhood that we thought we was safe. It suckers but I'm betting facebook had nothing to do with it lol.

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

That's what I'm talking about. All that has to happen is for you to be hit once and you learn quick that the only security you have is what you provide yourself. We were hit long ago when I was a kid and I made sure it would never happen the same way again.

8. redneckgearhead

And even the best of measures just keeps an honest man honest.

9. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

My camper and boat stay in my garage. No one can tell if they are here or not.

My wife wants to move them to the backyard...but I feel like that would make it easy for someone to determine if I was home for the weekend or not.

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

[2C] Cracks me up that the guy that started the thread wanting everyone to tell what their profession is or was is also the guy that started the thread that we need to be careful giving out to much information on the internet [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

11. redneckgearhead

So you're TV stays at home unless you're camping or boating?

12. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Tow vehicle is my wife's van. My car stays home.

Since she daily drives the van, it doesn't look odd that its not parked there.

13. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Well, there is some comic irony here.

I agree - don't put any information on-line that would let others know you are not home, or how long you will be gone. BUT, folks, we all have something on our property and it is pretty obvious that we are not home when this item is not there.

wait for it

[​IMG]

If you have a place to park the PUP that is not visible from the street, you're in luck. For those of us who don't, that empty spot in the driveway or that patch of brown grass is a dead giveaway.

14. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

love this!

15. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

We are all a bit too paranoid when this type of crime is at a pretty low point, historically. We hear about it all the time because of the 24 hour news cycle, but t just doesn't happen that often.

I am WAY more often inconvenienced by a lack of information than by giving too much information.

I would rather my neighbors know in out of town so that they can help out if something happens -- a tree falls on the house, a strange car show ups, etc.

We learned an important lesson when my 30-something brother-in-law passed away unexpectedly. We were trying to get the word out to his friends so they'd know and be able to come to his service, but the only way we could contact them was through his computer, which was password protected. Nobody knew his passwords, so there were a lot of people who never knew he passed.

I make sure someone knows where to find my list of passwords if something should happen to me. I know where to find passwords for everything my brother does as well as my cousins and his wife.

My wife was hesitant to use phone tracking, but once she saw what a benefit it was to know where I am without having to actually make a phone call each time, she was more than happy to share that info. It is beneficial 99 out of 100 times.

Now, I'm not saying you should be stupid about it. Have someone pick up your mail and keep an eye on the house. My grandparents had their house emptied out when they were on a cruise. This was long before Facebook. We assume they knew because of newspapers collecting on the porch.

There are dangers online, but most dangers are still old-school. It is MUCH more likely you'll have your credit card number stolen at a restaurant than online.

16. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

merely because a question is posed doesn't mean it has to be answered......

17. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

besides....knowing a person's profession in NO WAY correlates whether they are out of town or not. The two have NOTHING in common with each other as it relates to security......so not really understanding what was the reasoning behind that comment.

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

It could. For example if they were an astronaut and you knew they were going up to the space station.

On a serious note this whole thread is just silly. How many people are two income families and leave their home vacant for 9+ hours Every Single Day? Everyone just chill a little and enjoy life rather than worry about what could possibly go wrong.

For the record my wife is a stay at home mom, we have an alarm system, and neighbors that will call the police if something suspicious happens.

19. KZVO

KZVO New Member

I absolutely agree with Bullfrog on the Facebook thing. I don't like to post on FB until we,re home, but, someone else will always tag us in a pic, and post it anyway.

20. redneckgearhead

Does this show the arrogance of us Americans, that we think so highly of ourselves that we think someone is watching our every move in the hopes we might make a mistake and they can take all our grand possessions?