Don't waist money on a ADCO cover

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by gates59, May 26, 2011.

1. gates59

gates59 New Member

Well I thought I would buy a cover for my pup to protect it from the sun and rain. Search a little and bought a adco cover. It claims that it is uv protected and according to the box water resistant. Well I got a small rain fall last night and my pup was soaked as if there was nothing on it. Also if you look at the cover itself very closely you can see small holes in it. The manufacture just called me after me leaving them an e-mail and they told me that all it is for is to protect it from dust and dirt. I just wanted to let others know not to waist there money on this product. I wish I would have done a little more research first. Shipping here to Canada cost me just as much as the product itself. Ah well lesson learned.

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Which type of ADCO cover did you order? The regular tyvek ones, the "designer series," or another one?

3. gates59

gates59 New Member

I got just the regular one. I doubt that the designer one is any better. I fugured that since it was marked as breathable that it would go a good job compared to just using a tarp. I could have bought lots of tarps for this price.

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

According to the ADCO website, the entry level polypropylene ones aren't marketed for moisture or rain resistance. The more expensive Tyvek ones are recommended for the Southern US. They recommend their "SFS AquaShed" covers for use in Canada.

I'd suggest contacting them to see if you can exchange yours towards one recommended for use in Canada.

5. gates59

gates59 New Member

On the box it does say water resistant. I'm not going to bother buying anything from them as they mark there product wrong. I just wanted to let others know to help them out.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Water resistant and water proof are 2 different things. We have the water resistant ADCO cover, the first time we have covered the pup. In extended rain (which we haven't seen in a good long while now) rain does get through, but it evaporate pretty fast - what is not wanted is something that gets water under it and then holds the moisture.

In our case, the cover is not to keep water off of the pup, but the dust, dirt, pollen, bird droppings and pine sap from the trees it lives under in the off-season.

7. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

You probably would only want a water resistant and not a waterproof cover anyway. A water proof one would not breathe, and would trap moisture under the cover, allowing mold and mildew to occur.

I still suggest you contact them and as to exchange for the one they make for your particular Canadian climate, not for different conditions in the Southern states.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

In general ADCO covers are considered to be very, very good. I paid about $140 to get one for the Trailmanor.

10. gates59

gates59 New Member

I'm no expert but we had very little rain and it did nothing to hold back the rain. I'm aware that it can't be water proof but it is just like nothing was on it at all. I should have put my money in a portable garage instead. Very useless as far as I'm concerned. If it is only to keep dirt off it should be advertized as such. No one seems to be getting my point. I waisted my money because it is not doing what I thought it was supposed to or it claims to do. It does not do what it says on the box. Not every body has money to through away on things they don't need. False advertizing.

11. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

I to have an ADCO and think it is a great product, maybe your is defective?

12. gates59

gates59 New Member

Go empty a glass of water on yours and see if water penatrates through it. If it does I can't see how it protects anything. I even doubt it protects from the sun. If you closely at it you can see right though it. You can't just buy a cover and think that it is doing it's job. Look closely at it. You will se it does nothing. If you are worried about bird poop droppings I guess this is for you.

13. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

I bought the Adco cover with aqua shield. I was also less than impressed with it. It might hold back a very little moisture but not much. After buying it I talked to the owner of a RV dealer (not the one I bought the cover from), he told me that he wouldn't even sell them because they were junk. BTW gates59, we bought one of those portable garages from harbor frieght and love it.

14. gates59

gates59 New Member

Finaly someone agrees with me. I knew it I could not be wrong.

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Really, you don't want a cover to hold back the moisture. If moisture can't penetrate, it can't get out. You're better off without a cover than you are with an impermeable one. A waterproof cover is going to result in mold and mildew (that moisture in the air, under a cover heating in the sun, will condense), whereas a breathable one will keep your camper clean without allowing mildew to form.

16. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

^^ exactly what he said ^^

They need to breath. I was very happy with my ADCO cover that I used for the winters. Kept the dirt off, and that's what I needed. Sorry your experience was a bad one.

17. LooziAnna

LooziAnna New Member

Re: Don't waste money on a ADCO cover

I've been happy with my ADCO cover. After a season in the Louisiana sun, rain, & humidity, it was starting to fall apart. I sent them a couple of photos and they sent me a new one (2-yr warranty). Since then, we have moved to Tennessee and it has held up here with no problems. It provides some protection from the elements for my trailer which has to be left outdoors.

18. papachaz

papachaz New Member

unless your pup leaks, why would you want to "protect" it from the rain????? but geesh, you've already had several people who are VERY knowledgeable explain why you shouldn't put a completely water proof cover on it. if that's what you wanted, along with the mold, mildew and problems they cause, why not just go buy a heavy dudy tarp and put over it? if you bought it expecting something different, then you should have the ability to return or exchange it. keep talking to them, if the customer service person that answers the phone can't handle that for you, then ask to speak to their supervisor. they sure don't want people spreading the word that if you buy "THEIR" products it would be a "WASTE" of money

19. turborich

turborich Active Member

I'm happy with mine & if you read some of my other posts you will see that I'm one picky guy. Other than being a little big it's a great cover & stays put in the 50+ mph wind.

Like stated earlier in this post they offer 3 different types of covers.

The one that you purchased clearly states that it's a "dust cover"

The other two are for different regions of the country for mostly sun or mostly rain.

The little holes make it breathable to prevent mold or mildew.

20. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

Gates, for what it's worth, we keep a heavy duty waterproof tarp over our camper and have for years. It goes on silver side up, as it has a dark brown on one side and silver on the other. The silver helps reflect sunight and reduces heat buildup. The tarp is sized so it covers the roof and comes down a foot or so past the seam between the roof and camper body. The tarp is secured to the frame with rubber adjustable bungees. For years we've never had a mold or mildew problem in our humid climate here. Enough of the camper body is exposed so that the various places where it is not air tight are not fully encapsulated by the tarp. The tarp is heavy enough to hold a snow load and ice buildup. This is from experience. Protecting the roof is the goal as camper sides don't get hardly any damage from rain, sun and the elements like the roof does. When your snow pack melts the runoff goes down the sides of the tarp to the ground and bypasses all the camper seams that break down after years of being in the elements. Some people might keep throwing tarp advocates under the bus, but it does work if you don't fully encapsulate the camper and if you could get a super heavy duty tarp it would hold up to the snow pack you get up there. Sorry you had a lemon with the cover you had but maybe this way you could get some peace of mind during the big winters up there.