Door and other locks

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by teamtempleton, Jan 24, 2015.

1. teamtempleton

teamtempleton New Member

[HY] Got a NTU PU and no keys. What do I do now? [?]

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Got a neighbour with trailer (pup, htt, tt), rolling tool box, truck boxes ??? Most of them use the same types of keys ...

There is only 4 or 5 different key cuts for trailers (until you get to double cut keys) .. If you have a RV dealer nearby they might be able to cut you some new ones failing that any good locksmith should be able to help out..\

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

You might start by telling us what you have.

Most baggage doors on RVs will be CH751.

4. teamtempleton

teamtempleton New Member

2000 Skamper [PUC]

5. pcgeekess

pcgeekess New Member

My first pup didn't have keys either. I locked valuables in the car if we left the site. For the door i would just twist the door frame plastic thing sideways and Velcro it closed. I figured if anyone was going to rob the camper they would unlock it through the canvas or Velcro holding the door anyway.

6. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

When my DW and I acquired the Jayco, the previous owner did not know where any keys might have been, so we took it home without any. I knew that I was going to want to address that issue, and took the number off the lock cylinder, to a local RV dealer, who was able to find me a matching key from their box of keys that had on-hand.

The worst part of that was the $$ that they wanted for a key, between 8-10 dollars as I recall. Took that one to the hardware store and found a similar blank, and had a few keys cut from that at something like $3 per. Yes, some will say what's the point of a door lock on a popup, it's not very secure when camping anyway. And that's true. Turns out we rarely lock the door anyway, aside from when the popup is down and stored.

As mentioned, there's not a huge variety in keys of this nature. There may be simpler avenues for you to pursue.

7. mrclortho

mrclortho New Member

Keys don't do you any good, at least to "lock" anything up in a pup.

I misplaced the key to the front door of my pup and it was locked. I grabbed the handle with one meaty hand and turned it anyway. It came loose surprising easy so as far as security is concerned in a pup, there isn't any.

8. highlander70

highlander70 New Member

When we are camping, we don't leave anything of major value in the pup
    We usually don't even lock it as they would just cut the canvas if they want in and it's locked

As far as keys go, a local lock smith will be able to make you a key
    It only cost me about 15/20 bucks or so to get a local lock smith to make me a key
    M didn't have one either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Milapak85

Milapak85 New Member

I agree with taking your PUP to a camper dealer. They should be able to replace or find a fix for you! Best of luck