Door does not stay closed

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by rcouture6, Apr 6, 2016.

1. rcouture6

rcouture6 New Member

We have a 2003 Viking 1706 (bought used) and we can't get the door to latch consistently and it doesn't lock. Well, it locks but the lock doesn't hold because it doesn't go far enough over the frame. We think that the floor and roof may have been knocked off center. We bought a little latch like you see in bathrooms to keep it locked at night while we sleep (currently use a bungee). We need a solution for when we are gone during the day.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

Thank you!

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Most of the time people have door problems it's because the camper isn't level or, as you say, something is not centered correctly.
    BTW: You can't lock a pup.

3. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

We have an "Open Door Policy" in our PUP [LOL]

Honestly though, the best you can do is just figure out a way to keep it closed, There is no way to actually lock a PUP up so it is secure. Anyone who wants in can easily do it by undoing a bit of Velcro.

4. rcouture6

rcouture6 New Member

Oh yeah, most definitely they are easy to get into. I hate to think people are actually going to steal stuff from fellow campers, but this is reality. We don't leave anything of value inside but it would be nice if I knew it was secured at night. I might sleep a little better [:D]

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If you are leveled, check out things such as attachment of the walls next to the door to the floor and the like. That was the issue with our first pup, the door would swing open if some one got on the bunk. That weight moved the wall enough to unlatch the door. Once we had that fixed, we learned to lock the door when sitting on the dinettes bench right next to it. Things were so close in that tiny pup that. The cushion would push the latch open.
    Yes, pups aren't much more than a tent, but it's nice to slow down someone trying to get in.

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

When you level the pup, don't use the stabilizer jacks to raise or lower it. They should never have more than a few pounds of pressure on them. They're not intended to level the camper, simply to keep it from rocking up and down after it's level.

That said, is the problem worse when the bunk is extended and worse still when someone is in the bunk? If you can, have someone crawl in there and lay down while you watch the door from outside. If you see the wall section to the left of the door rock down and the door pops open, you have a problem that's going to take some work to resolve.

Let's start with that.

7. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

^^^^ Dubbya, That was my first thought when I read the OP.

Went camping with a friend, he came over and told me the door was broke, it wouldn't shut.
    Checked out the situation and he'd actually raised the pup with the stabilizers to level it. Twisting the frame.
    I loosened the stabs and the door shut perfectly.

8. rcouture6

rcouture6 New Member

Dubbya and Riveyman,

We are still fairly new to the pup ownership. When you say don't use the stabilizer jacks to level or to raise or lower, what exactly do you mean? To level it, we put blocks on the ground and then use them to level it. Should we be using stand alone scissor style, stabilizing jacks under the frame? We had talked about it after being out but the previous owner told us he used blocks, so we just went along with it.

Thanks!

9. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Then best to leave it in the tow vehicle.

10. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Leveling is done side to side then front to back. Select a fairly level area to park. If the pup is unlevel side to side use blocks of wood or leveling blocks under the low side tire. This takes practice. Then level front to back using the tongue jack. Once level lower the stabilizer jacks and snug them down a couple of turns. They are stabilizers not levelers. Lots of people don't know this.

[:)C]

11. rcouture6

rcouture6 New Member

Thank you!

12. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Sawdusty is on the money!!! [:D]
    Stabilizers are used to keep is stable. They don't have them down in this clip....and what happens... https://youtu.be/CWZovGjBPxU?t=5m00s
    I chuckle every time I watch that.

BigAl likes this.
  13. blacktiecamper

blacktiecamper New Member

The PO managed to close the bunk by pushing from the side putting pressure on the track at the entry door. It all looked fine when it was set up. But bringing it home for the first time the door kept popping open. Set it up at the house and tugged on the wall next to the door and found it was completely loose from the interior cabinets. Made some metal brackets and re-secured the wall, Door works fine.
    Lesson; push/pull bunk from center only.

14. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Tom.... you are technically correct because you cant really "secure" a tent. However on my coleman you lift the step to where its in front of the door and you can lock the step with the key.

15. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

On my 2000 Viking 1706 I have the same issue. I have found if I raise the roof, then lower the stabilizers , pull the bunks out, then lower/install the door, then Velcro the sides of the door, then zipper the canvas near the bunks, then pop the bunks up I get a much better fit on the door.

Play around with the order you set up and see f it helps.

16. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I live less than 2 miles from that guy. (They have another video titled Taunton to Gettysburg, I can see where they live from it)

17. MrsGregg

MrsGregg New Member

We found out on our last camping trip (after fighting with the door on multiple trips!) that we had our roof cranked up too high. A couple turns to lower the roof, and the door opened & closed with ease.

18. Koalavan

Koalavan Member

We had a problem with the door randomly popping open, especially when we are in the bunks, and it turned out the latch plate (?) on the door had worn down from use and didn't have much space for the bolt to be secured. Our camper is 35 years old though so that's probably not your problem. [LOL]