Door latch with lock options

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by davekro, Sep 10, 2019.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Our NTU '99 Pup came with no key. I was going to buy a new latch/lock assy, but the two on Ebay say the lock breaks right away or never works. One of the reviewers complained it came with the generic simple one cut key that he said was keyed alike to all similar latches. He even said the generic Key #, so I just bought 2 of those keys (CH701A), Unfortunately, the key is very hard to insert in my lock and does not seem to turn.
    $18.29 J&R Prods
    https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-...ocphy=9031980&hvtargid=pla-492538732970&psc=1

RV Designer E311 $19.07
    https://smile.amazon.com/RV-Designe...k+replacement&qid=1568169594&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Anyone else figure out how to get a working locking door. Our current latch works great, just no key to lock it. Do many have no lock anyway?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Tbh, if you wanted in a pup i think its easy enough. Just unzip the canvas or push past the velcro by the door. I wouldn't bother. If the crook was really dumb they would cut your canvas, probably costing more then what they could take. From what i hear there is only a handful of keys for these locks anyways. Not worth it.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

RV dealers have lots of camper keys to try.

Or, take the camper camping. Then ask campers to try their keys in your lock. Once you know a key works, get the number off of it and order one.

davekro likes this.
  4. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

While I agree that there really isn't much security in a pup, locking the door is more to slow down the person wandering through sites and quickly trying handles to see if its unlocked. While I've never seen this at a cg it's fairly common in the real world. Kids will walk down the street at night and try the door handles on cars, if unlocked they will quickly rummage through it looking for cash or keys. Hopefully a neighbor will notice someone unzipping the canvas or pushing in the Velcro and at least speak up.

With that said, you can always take the lock out and bring it to a locksmith or tow the trailer in to one. Making a key for these is fairly easy and usually doesn't cost very much. Depending on the type it also may be re-keyed so the generic keys that fit many will no longer work in it.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We didn't have a locking latch on the door in either popup, but we did have a locking half door that completed the side wall for transit. In that case, locking was not just for theft-deterrent, but to hold the door firmly shut on the road.
    We were able to replace the non-locking door handle on the second popup with a standard screen door latch, which was easier for my hands to operate. We could have chosen one with a lock form the outside, but didn't. I did like being able to lock the handle from the inside at night, or when taking a nap. (I seem to remember someone reporting a drunk wandering into their camper in the middle of the night) I'm still trying to figure out how to add some sort of lock to the screen door on our current TT.
    We have replaced the storage area locks on our TT, so they aren't keyed like all the others out there - we just removed the whole thing and took it to the locksmith to find new ones. We've also replaced the outer door latch, which has two locks, after one of the locks broke.

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Look and see if there any numbers on your current lock. If so take those numbers to a lock smith or find them online. The 1 reviewer is correct. There are just a few keys. At my local dealership they have them hanging on a shelf. Just find the # you need, pay $3.99 and walk out with 2 new keys. If you have a dealer nearby they may do the same. Take the lock or door with you and see which key fits.

7. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I exchanged my door knob with a locking screen door knob from Ace. It fit the existing holes perfectly.

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Really only good for keeping noisy little kids from opening the door. Fabric walls can't be locked.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

like my Miata - I leave it unlocked so bad folks don't have to cu thru the soft roof

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.