Door opens when I get in bed

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by OnTheLoose, Jun 27, 2017.

1. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

My first night out and I'm up at 2am with all kind of pup stress. I know it will take time to get to know her but I think she might not like me much.
    Latest issue: there is a gap in the door where it closes. I've checked and the camper is level. 2001 Jayco if that makes a difference. But every time I crawl into bed, the dang door opens up. Did all the level checks, made sure the door was installed correctly, stabilizers are down and tight. What is up with that door? Oh, and ended up locking myself outside at one point. Ugh!!! Finally just duck taped it closed from the inside so it won't swing open. Any advice will help.

2. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

It sounds like the frame is flexing. Can you have someone approximately your size climb into the bunk while you observe the door? It may give you a better idea of what's happening.

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

On my pop up I need to put a jack stand near the rear to stop the door gap issue.

4. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

To me, it sounds like the structure of the wall on the front curbside is compromised. On my previous pup, I attempted to crank up the roof after I was told all roof latches were unhooked and it seemed somewhat hard to crank but I kept going (should have checked myself.....arrrrgh). There was a loud bang and I stopped only to realize that the roof was still hooked at that corner. Afterwards, the flexing you described occurred when the front bunk was pulled out and if anyone climbed on it.
    Once back home, I removed the outer wall panel and discovered the 2 X 2 framing had cracked from the stress and when there was weight on the front of the pup the whole wall/support would shift.
    I repaired the framing with metal strips and glue/screws and reinforced the whole wall section and then put it all back together. We used the pup for 6 more years and never had a problem afterwards.
    It sounds like a large repair but really quite easy and inexpensive. Good luck and enjoy your new camper!

BelchFire likes this.
  5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

adding weight to the bed creates a pull on the front wall.
    any weakness in the side wall/front wall and this pull causes the walls to move.
    some PUs, the side wall lifts from the floor near the door due to old age, rot etc.

6. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Do you have four stabilizing jacks or just two? If just two, pick up a couple for the front. They don't have to be attached to the camper. Something like these will work. Set them on a piece of plywood so they don't sink into the ground, and set them at some point near the front corners under the frame. And make sure all stabilizing jacks are good and tight - Not enough to raise the tires off the ground, but enough to stabilize the camper form any excessive rocking.

[​IMG]

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

On my camper, I initially thought that it was the front that needed support but it turned out to be the rear.

8. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

Yes, I use those but will get wood for them.

9. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

IMG_0292.JPG

10. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

These photos from this morning

11. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

IMG_0294.JPG

12. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Does the gap get wider as it gets closer to the top of the door? If so, then I definitely agree with the others that have said that the frame is flexing when you add weight to the beds at the ends of the trailer.

13. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

Dang! This is my first time out in it. No clue about its history.

14. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

Gets wider at the bottom

15. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

That could still be the frame flexing, but it seems odd that it would get worse (to open the door) when you put weight on the bunks...

16. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

I might have figured out the issue. The hinge side of the door has a broken piece. The top door frame is only secured on one side. Not sure if that affects the door swinging open when weight is put on the bulk head but explains the gap.

17. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Ooh, yes. A broken hinge would definitely do it.

OnTheLoose likes this.
  18. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

I think I can purchase and replace the cap and pin at the bottom. I have cardboard wedged in but moves when I open the door. Good thing I packed the duck tape!!

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

the latch is on the bottom part of the door :eek:

20. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

Yeah, yet another issue. There are some structural issues. I checked for level when the top was down on each 4quarters of the top. Each had different reading. Not sure if that's normal but seems odd.