Door opens when I get in bed

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by OnTheLoose, Jun 27, 2017.

1. jennylou

jennylou New Member

We have a 2000 Jayco and we had the same thing happen when we were using the stabilizing jacks without putting wood underneath them, I think because it was sinking into soft ground. Now we sometimes have a gap, but the door hasn't been opening since we did that!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Something similar happened with our first pup. In that case, as others have said, there was an issue with the integrity of the framing. On ours it was the front (and only) bunk, turned out that the wall between the door and it was no longer well attached to the floor. Fixed that during renovation, was fine after that.

BelchFire and OnTheLoose like this.
  3. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

The roof of my StarCraft is actually curved a bit, shaped almost like the curve of an airplane wing (maybe for aerodynamics while towing?) so it never reads as level on top of the roof even if the trailer itself is level. I still need to install some leveling bubbles on the side of the trailer but for now I check the level based on the straight beams around the bottom of the frame, and then verify that the floor inside shows level once I put the roof up.

OnTheLoose likes this.
  4. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

I so hope that is the case for me. I will buy some blocks and see if it does the trick. Thanks.

5. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

I was using the floor just inside the door for level. I see people place them up on the tow bar too.

6. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Active Member

Weight in the front bunk on my well-used old-timer was causing the front wall to flex outward and was pulling the door enough to unlatch it.
    Here's the remedy I'm using.

100_1790.JPG

no more unintentional door unlatching.

OnTheLoose likes this.
  7. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

A necessity for any camping tool kit. Almost as useful as the bottle opener.

OnTheLoose likes this.
  8. RollTideRick

RollTideRick Member

On my Flagstaff 208, the floor/short wall, had separated from the frame. Mainly because of the step, coming out of the pup a lot of force is placed on the step which is attached to the small frame outer perimeter. There is no support and the tiny self tapping screws cannot withstand the continued pounding, so when the bunk is extended and you lay on it the cantilever effect will affect the hinge side of the door resulting in an unlatch. I drilled through the frame under the door framework, then installed 2 1/2 inch lag bolts after making sure everything was aligned. Problem solved.

OnTheLoose likes this.
  9. OnTheLoose

OnTheLoose New Member

Great plan and one I'm stealing. I was told the extra support was for the outdoor stove but it's much too long. I'm guessing they too used it for the bed. Thanks for the photo. :)

10. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I too have issues with the door popping open when I climb on the front hunk. I've attributed it to the front wall flexing... Could possibly be some damage I cannot see, also likely from age and use. My solution was simple: I used a step saver (a stabilizer for the bottom entry step) and a pack of lynx blocks. Positioned the step saver on top of blocks and extend until it makes contact with the underside of the bed. It's actually directly under me when I'm in the bunk. I'm a big guy (300lbs) so I expected some flex... This solution solved all of my problems!

I realize most people couldn't do this, as they have propane stored on the tongue in this location. My pup has neither a stove or a furnace, so my tongue area is free. During travel, I have a small job site box that is strapped to the tongue in this location. It holds the leveling blocks, wheel chocks, crank handle and various other items. 20180418_165613.jpg

Eric the P4ddl3r likes this.
  11. mjbeam

mjbeam New Member

I have the same problem with a 2000 Viking. I use one of these things:

[​IMG]

NHAl likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This most be the most annoying problem I have ever read about. I can't imagine the door popping open every time we went to bed. I actually put a little slide lock on the inside of our door, but no problems with it staying shut. Still yet, the slide lock may work for this, too.

13. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I think you got one of those Poltergeist Pups. They come in all types. You got the haunted door type. Just foolin' of course.