Door stowage problem, broken cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by RhythmScience, Sep 27, 2020.

1. RhythmScience

RhythmScience Member

My 2013 Palomino Y-series 4127 has a one-piece door that's held up in the stowed position by a pair of 11 1/4" long cables. When I pack up, there's a plastic knob at the bottom center of the door that locks into an aluminum bracket over the doorway. Those cables connect the top of the door to plastic T-shaped bits that slide in tracks along the ceiling. (They do NOT slide well and it's always a struggle to move them along.) When stowed, the top of the door is just barely held in place by plastic knobs attached to the ceiling. I think they're just there to hold the door while packing up. When I raise the roof, it's always come loose and dangling from the wires.

After I set up Friday, I noticed one of the wires dangling from its T-bracket from the ceiling (see pic.). The rest of that crimped eyelet is still attached to the door by a screw. Is it possible to find a replacement? Should I just buy wire and eyelets and make one? Given how much of a pain it is to slide those T-brackets, is there any reason I shouldn't just cut the other wire and lay the door on the bed when I pack up? Any thoughts?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’ve seen people lay the one piece door on the bed especially if their clasp broke that hold it on the ceiling. My door is a very similar setup as yours except it uses heavy duty snap straps to hold the door on the ceiling. So I don’t have the same problem as you. I will say those tracks can be a pain and not quite sure the purpose except it would prevent the door from flying out of your hands if you were to drop it.