Door-to-roof-hinge Mod. GENIUS!!!

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by GCHIKER, Dec 24, 2011.

1. GCHIKER

GCHIKER New Member

Received pup last year with broken plastic turn knobs. Obviously broken when someone lifted door up before turning knobs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Came up with this idea. Furniture nuts riveted to the part of the hinge plate that attaches to the roof. Then a simple piece of 1x3 (or 1x4) held on with 2 bolts. (The wood is ugly, I know. It was just a piece of scrap for prototype)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next move is to attach a catch-all shelf or bin to the soon-to-be painted wood for keys, glasses, wallet, etc...
    Not as convenient as the turn knobs, but more functional and cheap.
    I could have just ordered new turn knobs, but it would have come up to $25 for 2 with s&h.

2. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Mine were long gone before I got our pup. I might have to do something like that. I'm moving the hinge screws shortly anyway since I put them in a little too low when I rebuilt the side of the roof.

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Good thinking.

What about if you were to find some wing nut bolts to use instead of regular bolts? You wouldn't have to go searching for a wrench or socket every time you put the bolts in and out.

Stevied909 likes this.
  4. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

or use a cam locking handle thing. lol

its a plastic handle or knob that has a stud mounted in it. they also make them so that once they are loose you rock the handle to side to lock down/release.

check Rockler.com and woodcraft.com
    i guess mcmastercarr.com too

5. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

Nice mod! I had a similar problem in that my turn-knobs were broken off AND the hinge for the door was slightly bent out of shape. I got it bent back in to shape, mostly, but it still didn't fit quite flat (probably how the knobs got broken off).

I decided to mount a set of studs into the wall and then the door is held down by a steel plate (same theory as your wood plate) that slides over those and is held down by wing nuts. The studs are welded to a steel plate that comes in through the outside, so we can now crank them down as much as we want.

Was able to paint everything white to match, looks great. If anyone wants I can get pics in a month or so when it comes out of hibernation.

6. ColoDisco

ColoDisco Member

I am going to tackle this same thing as soon as it warms up. I would love to see the steel plate version.

7. Dave90210

Dave90210 New Member

www.grainger.com

8. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

Took me a bit but I got pics of my steel plate version of this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The "bumps" on the outside plate are the ends of a carriage bolt. It's tack-welded to the steel plate (2" flat bar stock from Home Depot). The stainless screws are just to hold it to the camper.

On the inside, the white painted metal plate is put over the door hinge and you can crank it down flat with the wing nut. The door *will* sit flat now, I can crank down those wing nuts as hard as I want. Nothing's breaking on this.

You'll probably need to open up the holes (oval them vertically) on the inside door hinge so they fit over the carriage bolt "studs".

When in travel position, the plate goes back on and the washers/wingnuts get put on just enough so they won't fall off. You'll probably want to put an extra wingnut/washer in your tool bag, easy to lose...

9. turborich

turborich Active Member

How about just using metal turn knobs instead of the plastic ones? It would look a heck of a lot cleaner and simpler. [2C]

10. jthorstad

jthorstad New Member

Came up with this idea. Furniture nuts riveted to the part of the hinge plate that attaches to the roof. Then a simple piece of 1x3 (or 1x4) held on with 2 bolts. (The wood is ugly, I know. It was just a piece of scrap for prototype)
    [​IMG]

Where did you find this furniture nut flange? Just went to Home Depot and showed it around...no one could come up with anything close. I'd LOVE to try this idea as I have the exact same problem. Thanks for sharing your fix!

11. GCHIKER

GCHIKER New Member

Lowes. They were in drawers on the fastener aisle. They've got TONS of interesting odds & ends for projects there.

Good luck