Double hitch for 4 bikes & pup

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Ben Wade, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Ben Wade

Ben Wade Member

Anyone know of a good double hitch setup/system for a pup and a 4 bike hitch rack? Can't have it too heavy but the kids are getting bigger and therefore bigger bikes. Would love to have the bike rack behind the car to integrated with the hitch that's already there.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

3. SDK

SDK Active Member

I went around the block on this subject for months. We are a four bike family, and the mountain bikes are a “must have” for us on trips. Let me save you the migraine and lay it out for you.

It gets more complicated beyond two bikes unless your kids are still tots and you can fit their bikes in your hatchback. Mine are 11 and 13. They both ride close to adult size bikes now. The double hitch mounts do not work for four bikes, especially if your tow vehicle is a Scion. It won’t be able to handle that much weight at the hitch. The pop up will also be too close, and there will not be room to get the four bikes into the space between the camper and TV.

There are three options for combining four bikes and a PUP (other than having a big pickup truck that can fit them in the bed).

1- ProRac four bike rack. This is the best option, and the one I went with. The upfront cost is high, but it works great and gets the bikes on the trailer roof without having to drill and/or otherwise modify it.

2- Put a roof rack on the pop up or your tow vehicle. Leaks and resale value concerns are both legit issues with drilling a roof rack onto a pop up camper. Also, by the time you buy the racks, crossbars and all of the holders to mount four bikes, you are pretty much at the cost of the ProRac, not including installation. If I was going to install a roof rack, it would be on the tow vehicle, but I am not sure I would try that with a Scion.

3- Put a hitch on the front of your tow vehicle and get a four bike rack to fit it. Also not an option with your vehicle, unfortunately....

If you are really on a tight budget, I have seen posts on here of various ProRac clone contraptions built out of wood or PVC and ratchet strapped to the PUP roof. None of them looked secure enough for my taste, but your mileage may vary....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    myride likes this.
  4. Ben Wade

Ben Wade Member

This is exactly what I needed to hear/read!! Yes our scion leaves very little room for augmentation. option 1 seems like the best best. I'll check it out for sure! The other option is keep what we have and just let the kids bring their 2 bikes. Thank you!!

5. SDK

SDK Active Member

You’re welcome!

6. Ben Wade

Ben Wade Member

7. SDK

SDK Active Member

Yes. That’s the right price. They have been in short supply over the winter so some sellers are price gouging. I called ProRac when I bought mine and was told they should have more in stock soon.

8. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

I actually just posted a topic about this. As someone who used it and likes it, I got a couple quick questions for you:

1) have you found that it wrecks your roof? My dealer was concerned the rear tire would damage the roof over time

2) have you found that it drastically affects your tongue weight? My dealer was also concerned that the rack plus bikes would add up to over 100lbs to the tongue weight, which would put me over my caravans max hitch weight.

The dealer thought adding roof racks over the axle on the pup was the best solution, but like you said I am worried about the possible leaks down the road

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  9. Chris I

Chris I Member

Are you pulling with a Scion Xb? What is your max tongue weight? I would love to carry our bikes on the trailer tongue or on a double hitch, but we're already pushing the limit on our tongue weight with just a fully loaded trailer, so bikes go on the roof. Just keep in mind that carrying bikes on the tongue of your trailer is going to add a lot of weight, almost directly on the tongue.

10. SDK

SDK Active Member

I also answered your thread, but as to the above questions:

I've only done two trips with the rack, so I can't comment on long term, but I can't see how bike tires could do any more than add a smudge to the roof that can be wiped off. I had to issues, and did a lot of research on these. I have not found a single report/review that mentions any roof damage from these. I've read plenty on things drilled into the roof causing leaks, so from a roof damage perspective, clear win for the Pro Rac

I don't think they will add 100lbs slung that far back. Mine did not seem to have any effect, but I have a more tow capable vehicle than you do. You could find a Cat Scale near you by downloading the app, or look for a dealer who could weigh for you. Drop your tongue jack on the scale and than lay the bikes on the front of the roof to see how it looks.

11. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

Swagmans or the like. it will fit 4 bikes, but you will either need conventional bikes or the adapter bars. It also brings the turning point out another foot and a half, and the weight of the hitch a foot and a half. Depending on your tongue weight, this may or may not be an issue for you. Just remember that tongue weight is a factor of both the bikes, the adapter itself, and the increased leverage by having the ball so far back. With 4 adult bikes, I would not be surprised if it the hitch and bikes alone add 150lbs of tongue weight.

Sjm9911 likes this.