Douthat State Park - Cabin

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by tenttrailer, Feb 1, 2018.

1. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Taking trip to the outer banks to stay at a timeshare. We decided to stop on the way at Douthat State Park at one of the cabins. We camped with our popup there and thought the park exception. So why not try the cabins thinking it would be better than a motel

Anyone every stay in the log cabins there? Are they nice?

2. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

--I have never stayed in those cabins but I can say that they are in a very rustic environment and look reasonably well maintained from the outside. It's a really nice park. I've considered taking the grandkids to a cabin while I stayed in the popup [;)]!
    --When you're in the OBX, should you someday decide to camp your way here, explore the National Seashore Frisco Campground just south of the Cape (not the Cape Point CG - mosquitoes will eat you alive and no shade). Take the road to Billy Mitchell Air Field (intersection @ 35deg 14' 01.5"N 75deg 37' 30.3"W). There is an air-for-free station opposite the access road. You can air up your tires after dropping them to 20-psi for beach driving (yep - you should do that).

3. tenttrailer

We have driven by that campground at OBX several times. We have camped at the nation seashore campground near Oregon inlet years ago.

Two years ago we camped at Douthat and thought the CG's were very nice and large sites. We too thought the cabins look well maintained. Figured I had about 30K rewards points, why not use the as an over nights stay heading out to OBX.

4. XKPin

--Nothing wrong with pampering. Easy access shower, porch to relax on while quaffing a cool one and watching the sun rise or set. That's my idea of relaxin'!
    --I see you stayed at the Oregon Inlet CG. That's how most campers envision OBX National Park (NP) camping. But the NP Frisco Campground is NOTHING like that! Most sites are separated by dunes and vegetation, sufficiently isolated from one another where you won't see other sites from your site. Take a site on the hill and see the ocean and the lighthouse. Many sites have good shade from the hot summer sun. Much more appealing.

5. tenttrailer

I will have to try NP frisco. When we stayed at Oregon inlet we wanted to be close to Kittyhawk.

The other one we thought about trying is Ocracoke NP. Have you camped there

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  6. XKPin

--Yes! Ocracoke campground is in a wonderful area. The beaches are virtually abandoned! Just enough people present so that you don't feel you entered into a post apolitical future. Great fishing too. The end of the island has several wonderful places to eat. My favorite place is Blackbeard's on the harbor. Grab a table outdoors or on the pier and watch the water activities and the sea fowl.
    --Back to Ocracoke campground - flat, standing water, no shade but enough mosquitoes to fill your popup or tent before you get the door closed :eek:! Camped there twice - almost :oops:. Mosquitoes drove us away each time. The second time we came equipped with every environmentally detrimental poison [!] known to man and the mosquitoes sucked it up and came back for more! We never spent the night either time.
    --Again, the campground at Frisco Woods (near Billy Mitchel Air Field) is the best of the NP locations. Tip: When you find a site there, stop the car, don't turn it off, and get out. Stand in the middle of the site. You will know within 10-seconds if mosquitoes are an issue. When a site has limited breeze and a lot of permanent shade, the mosquitoes are prolific. Otherwise, look for a site where the shade is cast only during the hottest part of the day and is otherwise open for sea breezes (there are breezes in the lower sections too). Like I said - you'll know right away!
    -- The NP Frisco Woods CG is a short drive from the ferry landing to Ocracoke. A trip to and from Ocracoke makes a nice day trip with the BEST (& I mean the BEST) and most novel gift shops on the OBX.
    -- One more tip: Bring mosquito yard fogger into the bathrooms. They have just been renovated but a short shot of spray will make the stop even more enjoyable :rolleyes:.

7. tenttrailer

Oregon inlet CG has almost no trees and for the most part almost no dunes to stop the breeze. We did not have much issue with the blood suckers. But the CG got very busy during the weekends.

8. 2scars

2scars New Member

Do they have power at Billy Mitchell CG?

9. XKPin

No, none of the OBX Nat'l Seashore CGs have power.
    Check out: https://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
    When you open the site you'll see a picture of the Frisco CG adjacent Billy Mitchel Air Field.

The Bonner Bridge is under construction at the Oregon Inlet CG. Here is some in from the NCDOT website:
    • New bridge scheduled to open to traffic: November 2018
    • Demolition of existing bridge: November 2018–September 2019
    • Project scheduled to be completed: September 2019
    Traffic can pass across the Bonner Bridge. The new one is being built parallel to the old. There are some single lane operations occasionally.
    Hope this helps.

10. tenttrailer

If your camping in the summer, AC may not be needed if you have a site with a good breeze. The outer banks along the beach almost always has a nice breeze. It is an exceptional kite flying area, which is one of the reasons the Wright brothers traveled out to it to fly their planes. Only thing we noticed is after dark the breeze will quiet unless the weather in the area has winds.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  11. tenttrailer

We spent 2 days at douthat state park cabin #11. Nice old log cabin. it was clean 1/5 bedrooms large fireplace. Woke up to snal about 2 inches. Over the weekend there was a fair amount of campers. Saw a few popups

We would stay there again.