Draining fresh water tank on Expedition

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Old Grouch, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

Newby to Aliners here. We bought a used 2021 Expedition. I drained the water tank with no problems and added fresh water. When I next went to drain it by unscrewing the drain cap nothing comes out. Hot water tank drains just fine. Faucet works. Access to the tank is in a screwed down compartment. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

2. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Our Expedition is older and may be different. The drain cap I unscrew is the gray water drain. To drain the fresh water tank I turn a little spigot which is directly under the tank.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  3. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

yup did that and all was fine first time. Just don't know what happened. I presume I could drain that tank through the hot water drain.

4. Campeador

Campeador Active Member

Can you post pics?
    You'll need to remove the drain plugs for both the fresh water tank and the low water point (near the water heater). They are likely to be blue pex pipe lines. You may need to turn the shower/ faucet on to create some pressure. If that doesn't work, unscrew that wood panel (just four screws) above your water tank/ pump/ heater and inspect the water tank, looking for an obstruction.

Econ likes this.
  5. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

I did unscrew both caps. Hot water drains but nothing on water tank. I will turn on shower and see what happens and then look for obstructions if that doesn't work. Thank you!

6. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

I turned shower on and about a quart drained out of the tank and then stopped. I turned on the water pump and the tank drained beautifully. It should be such a simple thing to drain tank but I know nothing about plumbing.

7. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

It would help us to help you if you would put a rough geographical area in the heading and the year and model in a signature as some questions are geographical and model specific.

The problem is the main tank will not drain. On mine it is drain by looking under the left rear corner and unscrewing a cap on the exterior. Once the cap is off the main tank drains. Is that where your drain is located? If the cap has been removed and still no water could there be an obstruction? stick something up the opening and see if something dislodges.

There are one way check valves close to the water pump to intertwine the city and pump sections of the plumbing but never had problems out of those.

Love the moniker

DiamondGirl likes this.
  8. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

Thank you- will try sticking a wire up the drain hose. It is the correct hose but I don't know why it won't drain without the pump on. Didn't need to do that the first time. Strange!

Campeador likes this.
  9. Campeador

Campeador Active Member

I had a dud of a pump on my brand new '21 Expedition and had to have a new one sent to me mid trip (month long Rockies journey). I heard from CNW that when they drill the hole for the drain pipe, a tech COULD just leave the plastic that the just drilled inside the tank... which obviously could cause an obstruction (or mess up your pump). It's worth opening up that section of the bed and inspecting everything well. Make sure the system works when you're at home and can more easily address it.

Edit to add: one other thing occurred to me: is the air line to the fresh water tank obstructed? It is right next to where you fill it with water and should allow for drainage (I think. I'm no plumber either).

10. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

Thank you- I will check the air line-didn't know there was one. It just seems so strange that it drains great with pump on. It's just a hole in the bottom of a tank-should be a no brainer. All the replies have been greatly appreciated!

11. Lonewolf55

Lonewolf55 Going NoWhereFast

Your fresh water tank valve can be completely unscrewed from the bottom of the trailer and a new bought at any RV or many plumbing stores. It is standard thread. It might be clogged, or your breather line on the fresh water tank might be clogged (Wasps and Spiders like them) If you open all your faucets and valves and nothing comes out, your sure there is water in there?? LOL The Hot water tank is easy to drain, just remove the anode rod near the base, but that does not necessarily relate to water in the fresh water tank.

12. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

I did call Kevin at Aliner-very helpful man. He said this was the first problem he's had like this but thought it might be pressure related. He suggested starting the water pump and leave it on till it shuts off. Did that and tried draining again-only about two gallons came out of a full tank. Will keep playing with it. Drains fine with water pump on so I think pressure..........

13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

So it drains out of the drain plug only when the pump is running?

14. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

Unless pump is running the tank won't drain all the way. To me that's really strange cause it's a hole in the bottom of a tank-how could it not? We're going camping this weekend and will be using all the plumbing so hopefully that will clear things up. As I am new to trailers it could be something I'm not doing right.

15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Will it drain with the fill cap off?

16. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

I just went out and unscrewed the drain cap and had about 2 quarts come out before it stopped. I could hear noise in the lines like it was unvented. With the drain cap still off I opened up the tank and city water caps and about a quart came out before stopping. Went to outdoor shower and opened up the faucets for another quart out the drain. Pump was off for all of this. I'm going to leave the tank and hot water caps off while driving and fill it up at our destination and see what happens. Thank you for the replies!

17. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm a 2017 Explorer and it took me a while to "see" that the water heater also had a drain.* Aside from the physical obstructions discussed above, I remove the drain caps to both the fresh and hot water drains (PVC with caps**) and then connect my Viair tire inflator with a blow out adapter*** to the city water connection. I don't use a lot of pressure but it does help push the water out the lines to the sink, shower and the two drains under the trailer. The PEX used by CNW to route the water on my trailer has a few slight rises/dips. You may want to play with tilting the trailer to help increase the drain angle.

*I think I went a year before realizing there was a drain from the water heater. I had to clean out the remnants of the anode that had disintegrated all over the bottom of the heater.

(It took hours for me to find the following parts. You may want to consider having a few extras - I lost several along the way.)

**Zurn QTC3FQP 1/2" Cap, 1 piece
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M95XMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

***RV Brass Blow Out Plug
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006IX68O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

18. Old Grouch

Old Grouch New Member

Thank you! I can see that the tank drains about half way then stops when I unscrew both drain caps underneath. When I turn pump on the rest will drain. Had it hooked up to city water this past weekend and there was lots of air in the line.