Draining fresh water tank?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Lloyd B, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

We just brought home our new to us 2002 Coleman Laramie, it has a fresh water tank, and hand pump faucet on the sink, and no hot water heater, shower or toilet.
    I crawled under it looking for a fresh water drain to make sure it was empty before freezing weather, and could find none. Should there be one that I am not finding, or do I have to pump the faucet to empty it. If that is the case then I won't be using the tank, I don't want to pull a full tank down the road, and wouldn't want to hand pump it empty each time. I can't find anything about it in the owner's manual.
    Thanks for your input. [:(]

2. RetAF

RetAF Member

Look for a plastic plug that screws into the tank. That would be the drain. Many, including myself, replaced the plug with some sort of valve.

3. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

Thank you, I'll check tomorrow. I didn't think Coleman would not put a drain in it.

4. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

Found that plug, on the front lower edge of the tank, thank you very much. I am I right in thinking that I may be able to run a pipe of some sort up to a valve installed under the tongue where I can drain the tank without crawling under the trailer?

5. steve7-4

steve7-4 'I'd rather be camping'

I believe that I have a valve right at the tank that I can reach when I open the hatch on the bench from the inside. After the value there is short hose running through the floor to the bottom of the PU. When I want to drain, I turn the valve on the inside and it drains to the outside. So I would add a valve on the inside.

6. RetAF

RetAF Member

It might be easier to put a 90 degree elbow in a pipe and run it out to the side of the PUP. I've seen pictures from folks who did that. I installed a short adapter pipe and valve in place of the plug. I'm tall and have long arms, so reaching under the PUP to turn the valve is not big deal for me. Glad you found the plug, good luck with your mod.

7. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Water don't like to stay contained. Many of us have fought to keep it in. But it don't like to go up, so if you put a hole low, water will run out. IMHO, much better to have a valve where you can reach it, if the line does not slope up, or run where it can be damaged.

Yours made that way, but IMHO, that is a silly way to do it. If the line ran out, then had a valve, you would not need to open the camper to drain. And if you want to fill the tank in the CG on the way to your site, that valve better be closed...