Drawer Storage

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Sokokis, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

I'm thinking of trying to convert the storage under the dinette benches and the "couch" into drawers instead of just using the "shove and store" method. Any thoughts? I realize I'll lose a bit of storage space, but it is such a PIA to get anything out that I think it might be worth it.

2. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Our PUP came with a drawer under one of the benches.

Very convenient.

JR

3. Seven

Seven New Member

I have been thinking about this alot myself. One of my challenegs is the storage of all of our stuff. Food , Clothes, ect, ect.

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I have one under dinette seat. Use it all the time.

5. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I went the other direction, converting a drawer under the sofa to a cabinet drawer and gaining quite a bit of space. We keep seldom used items under the sofa and put the few things we do use with some frequency (kitchen stuff) on the shelving over the sink/stove so it only gets moved once/trip.

Storage on a PUP is at such a premium that I thought it just works better that way but whatever works best for you.

6. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

The drawer will result in less space. The drawer has to be smaller than the space, as there's always room on the sides, top and bottom, including room for the slides.

You may be better off with drawers, though, if the space isn't very usable.

I have a space under the sink/stove that has a small door with a large space behind it that I really can't use, so a drawer may be more useful. There's also a large unused area under the stove that I'm thinking of adding a drawer to. A large vertical spacer between the cabinet and the bench might get a door so that I can store large flat things (e.g. cutting board).

One thing you could do is to get some storage boxes that are good at filling the space. Then you don't have everything piled in one heap.

Creativity is always good.

Steve

7. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

I like the idea of installing a door under the storage bench. Makes it easier to get at stuff while the bed is made up. And then put things in plastic storage containers to keep them sorted and contained.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I took our drawer out also, you do lose space. The factory cheap plastic guide are just that... cheap. And if you happen to leave a drawer open and the kids jump on it....good by drawer. Did add doors to the dinette ends, that works nice.

9. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

We use the small green plastic bins from WalMart inside our under seat cupboards. We have used that and Sterilite drawers for a few years now, and it all works just fine.

10. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

This what I did inside one of my dinette benches:

[​IMG]

11. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

^^^That is maximizing space [:D]. Well done camper [{:)]

12. Familyman68

Familyman68 test

That looks awsome... I've found my next project, didn't think about dividers... but sure makes finding things easier and you can pack them a little higher .... Love it THANKS!!!!

13. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Have you considered a sliding tray? In essence, a sliding floor?

14. johnbender2013

johnbender2013 New Member

I like the idea of the dividers as well! Did you make the dividers yourself or did you get them from a retailer?

15. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I cut 1/4" plywood and painted it white and held together with angle brackets. I had the plywood and brackets left over from a previous project so all I needed was the paint. This probably would cost less than ten bucks to do.

If you notice, I made the two dividers low enough so I can store my CI pans on top. I also made a notch in the left panel to hold my small broom.

I found that this helps to keep things organized.

16. Srt4inliny

Srt4inliny "It ain't campin if ya can't hear nature"

We did the same thing the old drawer was a little warped and was a little hard to open so I removed the face of the drawer and removed the slide mechanism and placed the face back on under the sofa. we have about three inches of room on each side added to the storage.

17. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

i just take the lid off on the bench and then stuff pillows around the sides and top of the drawer. i always use the pillows when we camp so the drawer is fully functional when camping. if you do it like that you really arent losing much space at all. maybe a half inch of width and half inch of depth.