Drill Recommendations for Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by jonkquil, Jun 19, 2020.

1. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Hello all, I would like to get a cordless drill to assist with putting down my stabilizers. I don't own any power tools and have no idea about these. I've been looking on Amazon but find it a little overwhelming. I would like to spend around $50, but if there's comments saying it's not good enough, I can go a little higher. I have attached a link to the one I have been looking at, do you think it would work? Also, I would be interested to hear any recommendations. Many thanks.
    https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-PCD...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Why bother if you're not also going to use the drill to lift the roof, operate the tongue jack, even power a BAL Leveler? [?:~{] You'd want a 18v - 20v 2 speed, cordless drill rated at 450 in/lbs of torque or more. A series of pics showing how I used mine start here. :D Click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.

Orchid and friartuck like this.
  3. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

I have an automatic power lift for my roof, don't use my BAL Leveler and have a manual tongue jack, so yes, it's just for the stabilizers.
    Thank you for the reply, I didn't know about the torque so I will check that when looking

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

which implies you have one . . .
    May I ask why you don't use the BAL? It locks in the wheel, tighter than a chock usually, and makes leveling side to side so easy.
    (Remember the stabilizers are not for leveling the camper side to side, damage to the unit can result) And with a small adaptation (see GreyFox's camper and mod link for the Yuma) you can use the power driver on the tongue jack

5. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

@jonkquil , that one will be fine for what you want to do. You can get one of the cheap ones from Harbor Freight for half that. As long as you keep the threads clean and oiled, it takes very little torque to run stabilizers up and down (I assume your Flagstaff has the scissor style).

We use an old 18v that stays inside the camping closet at home where it is easy to grab and charge occasionally.

6. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Great, many thanks for that, that'sexactly the type of reply I needed to hear. I had seen one at Harbor freight slightly cheaper but wasn't sure if I needed something with a little more ompff! Yes, I do have the scissor style, which seems to take a lot longer to hit the ground than my last ones on my previous p-up, also they are angled oddly so the drill will make it less time for me to be bent over. Thank you again

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I have a drill that I use to raise the roof. I just use the manual crank for stabs, since they are so easy and fast.

I looked at all your pics, which were great, I'm going to take another look on my laptop for better detail.

Even so, I can't figure out how to use the drill for BAL leveler. Could you please tell me what attachment i need to buy to do that? The tool that came with it slips and makes it difficult. Thanks in advance!

8. GreyFox

So if as you say you only want to use a cordless drill for raising / lowering your stabs then there's no need to go with a larger (i.e. heavy) 18 volt or 20 volt version which will be full size drills. For years I've been using a 12 volt Ridgid #R82007 rated for a "whopping" 120 in/lbs - tiny, light, and works like a charm for operating the stabs. [A]

[​IMG]

I bought mine years ago as a package set of 2 and no doubt there's a newer version out there of similar size but with even greater torque ratings.

xxxapache and Tom Jordan like this.
  9. GreyFox

It's just a drill universal with a 3/4" 6 point socket that fits the end of the BAL Leveler drive screw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Thank you SO MUCH!

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I own lots of cordless drills, I don''t use them on the stabilizers. I have the crank handle, and a spare crank handle. Works fine. I am NOT in a rush on our camping trips

Tom Jordan likes this.
  12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I use my 4 way lug wrench. Hold it loose and give it a few spins.

kcsa75 likes this.