Driving in "the city"

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Redbird234, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

Often when reading reviews of cities there are comments about not driving in "the city."

I am from Toronto, I drive here, don't love it but have no issue doing it.

Is there any city you don't recommend driving in? Is it because so many people are not city drivers? Or is it something else?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I try to avoid cities whenever possible. Most of the time it's easy enough by just using the beltway or loop to go around. But timing is key. By that I mean avoiding morning and evening rush hours.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Are you talking about with the trailer, or just in general? I don't think there are too many cities I wouldn't drive in (ruling out concerns such as finding affordable parking) without the trailer. But add the trailer and I might be a notch more cautious, beyond passing through on the freeway or other major route.

4. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

There are a lot of cities I don't recommend driving in. Not so much because people are city drivers or not.
    San Francisco: I would not recommend driving there because there is little to no parking. The public transit is pretty good here and once you get past the touristy trolley ride the rest of the public transport can get you pretty much anywhere. And the hills are a challenge to some.
    Boston: Mostly in the heart of town is a walking town. Old narrow streets lots of people
    Washington DC: Again parking /people and the transit system is pretty good. Park outside at one of the train stations and enjoy the ride downtown.
    Las Vegas (primarily the strip) really no need to drive in this area.

I guess the key take away here is if the city has a decent public transit system why drive if you don't have to? Parking costs and the hassle of finding a place make it more worthwhile to use public transport.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I live near DC but when I tow I try to keep to routes with wider roads less tight turns etc. I don't like it but it's inevitable I will have to drive in it. Stop and go traffic stinks when your towing as your breaks can get worn quick and it takes longer to stop.
    When traveling unfamiliar city's you don't know what your going to be faced with so I try to avoid it. Mainly because we have to take much larger turns and a lot of city roads aren't as friendly there. One time my GPS put me in the middle of a small town, coble streets and all. Problem I had, gps told me to turn and I could not. There just wasn't room without hitting something. I found an abandoned warehouse, parked, and litterly walked the streets until I found a route out of that mess. Let me tell you,if you end up on a deadend street with a popup you are in for a world of hurt. I'm also far more alert in the city because people at least here just don't care. They may be able to stop short, but I can't. Sadly if I cream them I'm going to get the ticket because I'm in the back never mind them being a jerk. One too many close calls there too.

6. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

A few summers ago I drove through St. Louis towing our PUP during heavy traffic. It was terrifying! I'm generally not afraid of city driving or towing, but not together! There were potholes that I couldn't avoid because the lanes were narrow and other cars were right up next to me. Also that highway has many exits on the left, including the one I needed. So people were pissed that I was going slow in the left lane. Definitely will map my routes ahead of time better.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oh geeze yes, why do they always put it in the left lane? I had to go from the right to left across 4 lanes highway during heavy traffic with my camper. Talk about some pissed off drivers.

8. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I too try to avoid big cities when possible. Dallas/Ft Worth roads seem to have been "under construction" for 20 years.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The top two cities I avoid are Boston (you can see the road you want to be on, but can’t get to it. ). And the other is Montreal (sorry to say been going there for years and every year is worse than before)

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Tranna ... avoid it like the plague, sorry you have to. [:(]

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Does Brampton count ?? lol (inside joke most Ontarians will get).

Don't mind driving in Montreal.. Hardest part is figuring out the oneway streets..

12. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Driving on 101 with a big trailer behind through the San Francisco city is no fun at all....