Driving Through Tunnel with Propane Tank

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by Nani2, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We will be driving from Mobile, AL to Fort Pickens in Pensacola. We go through that tunnel near downtown Mobile and if I remember correctly, there is signage prohibiting propane tanks.
    We take 65 south to where it ends into I-10 I think.
    How do I get around without backtracking up to mm37 Gulf Shores Parkway?

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

A quick google shows that there don't seem to be any restrictions on that tunnel, or at least an awful lot of people ignore them (and supposedly there is no signage).

We have a tunnel in downtown Minneapolis which has many signs about hazardous materials and alternate routes, but I looked it up one time and I think you're allowed up to 50 pounds propane before it is restricted (don't quote me on that number but I know my single cylinder was fine). But every tunnel seems to have different restrictions.

Nani2 likes this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

This can be one of the most confusing road trip issues.
    1. It depends on the State / Province. So plan your route and check the regs for each State / Province you're passing through.
    2. The big thing is that the propane should be turned OFF when on the road! Many people say it's fine to have it on to run the fridge, personally I say no. The TV should be charging the camper's battery on the road so put the fridge on DC power.
    3. Remember, your propane line go under the camper and they are exposed. A road hazard could get kicked up and cut a propane line. Best case, you're out of propane when you get to the campground. Worst case, boom!

4. SueH8

SueH8 New Member

We go through the Interstate Tunnel and the "old road" tunnel several times a year without any issues, towing a popup with a propane tank on the trailer tongue. Height is a consideration - 2 weeks ago we were stuck in downtown traffic for over an hour because of a giant motorhome that didn't clear the warning toggles, kept driving and blocked the tunnel entrance to all vehicles. Very angry commuters

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I just checked and according to the info, no LP tanks are allowed in the tunnel in Mobile All persons with LP must detour around the tunnel

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

#1 is good if you have a 3 way fridge. . Those with 2 way fridges (propane/electric ) have little choice but to run with the propane on.

PopUpSteve and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Go to the state's highway site and check as it varies from state to state. Some are no compressed gas while others have allowances.