Drones? Really?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Mosbyranger, Jun 20, 2017.

1. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Slingshots and liability....

If somone intentionally brings down a drone and it crashes on my car, camper or head, I will certainly not be looking to the drone pilot for compensation, or charges of causing property damage or injury.
    I will be pointing at the slingshot owner.

You may be irritated by a (legally operating) drone, but that doesn't give you the right to damage it and place others at risk.
    As an analogue... if somebody in the next site is playing their radio too loud, do you have a right to go over and smash it?

2. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

it's by the weight of the drone

3. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

I also fly. i don't have the physical mobility to get to some of the places i want to see. so this is an awesome way to get quality photo's of the area. that being said, i am normally boon docking, and if i think it's going to bother anyone i keep it grounded. don't judge us all by a couple of idiots. without permission, they are not allowed to fly over people, or at night. also not allowed in national parks without a release, which is very hard to get. use common sense and don't intrude. [CC]

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Again I am not saying to do anything that causes interference provided for present day rules and regulations. I am speaking of something to be developed by the industry for the future that allows the these two things to co-exist... Authorized changes to things... What is presently coming down the pike is not working I don't think...

5. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

I did some research based on the above info and this has been rescinded as of May 2017. The courts decided the FAA doesn't have authority to mandate a "toy", applying same logic as RC planes and helis. Not that the FAA site has been brought down or changed...

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

As long as a drone doesn't hit me or my property, I don't really care much what it does or sees.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The story of the kid flying the drone looking into your window is an invasion of privacy. But it was a kid, and should not reflect on drone pilots in general.

If a drone is flying far overhead of a campground, who cares, so long as it isn't against rules? And if it is against rules, it's not up to you to go vigilante and shoot it down, just as it isn't up to you to tow the neighbors illegal 3rd vehicle on their campsite. Talk to the campground authorities.

And to the person who said "if I can shoot it down, it's too close"... what if it's your campground neighbor, legally operating a drone and landing at his site?

People need to relax a little.

dbhost, xxxapache and sierrapup like this.
  8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I would suggest drone go explore oceans, find some sharks or dolphins...

9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Article on the local news this AM. Forest service/BLM/NP have technology to drop drones that get in the way of fighting fires. Last year there were cases where planes/choppers loaded with water/chemicals were called back due to drones flying over a forest fire.

As for drones flying over my head; just keep them high and I could care less. Fly it at face level and I will swat it down with whatever is handy to hit a drone with. Pretty much legal to take a photo of anyone who is in public and most campgrounds, outside the trailer, are public. Of course that does not mean someone cannot give the camera a picture someone might not ever want to see.

But like with all new things, a small number of morons will ruin it for everybody. Just like texting can be a great tool, too many morons feel they need to drive and text at the same time. (However, I do love it when I see someone texting and walking and smashing their nose on a wall or a pillar.)

As for FCC regulating the frequencies. Yes, they do, But if someone uses a jammer in a campground, will the FCC know who it is? It's like the GMRS frequency on a set of walkie talkies. Supposed to be licensed to use the GMRS but most people who use it are not. Will they ever be caught? I doubt it.

10. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

I said it but I said if I can hit it with a SLING SHOT it's too close... I think I would know if it was my neighbor, don't you? Go ahead and fly your drone in a disrespectful manner and see what happens.

soft 17 likes this.
  11. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Just remember, a rock or other obstacle like a marble, shot from a slingshot is owned by the shooter. So if you are next to me, don't accidentally shoot out my truck windows or you will be in some deep (you know what):D, and especially, don't hit me or one of my dogs. :eek:

12. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Need to add a sling shot to my camping gear. Thanks!

Adam H likes this.
  13. tfischer

I have no idea how far a sling shot can accurately hit. But if a drone is up above tree level (you claimed it was lost in a tree) it's high enough that you shouldn't be worried about it.

I don't like the buzzing of people on motor boats and jet skis on lakes. I'd much rather hear the natural sounds of the water. There is a private island we sometimes camp on in the middle of a public lake, and sometimes people get really close in their boats, staring at our camp, which feels a little invasive. None of these things give me the right to sink their watercraft.

14. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Aside from a drone crashing and causing bodily harm or property damage, there's another social reason for my dislike of them. I think there is a difference between a person looking at you with a drone and a person getting close in the boat looking at your campsite or looking into your campsite/public area. It's the fact that there is not a eye to eye sight line. There's something about human behavior that we want to be able to see each other eye to eye to judge intent. A drone has no one for me to see to judge intent. I can't interact with it and ask it a question. It's that weird voyeuristic power thing that makes me question the freedom of drone use.

JustRelax and Adam H like this.
  15. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

The FCC has a rule pending to eliminate the licensing requirement for GMRS radios. I don't know of anyone who ever applied for a license.

If anyone is really interested in additional facts related to UAS, you can find just about everything here, if you dig enough: http://www.faa.gov/uas/

16. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Depends what they're playing :)

Aneemal33 and Adam H like this.
  17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If it's rap you not only have the right you have an obligation.

18. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

About 20-25 feet directly above me. Went sideways into a tree after I knocked the cr@p out of 1 of its rotors with a wrist rocket and a marble. The third shot was the magic shot and provided laughs for the rest of the weekend (at least for us). Our teen daughters felt much better after it was gone as it had been buzzing them for 2 days.

19. tfischer

Sounds like the drone deserved it in this case.

20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Drones banned in Florida State Parks